Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:14 pm

Hance wrote:
Ok i have a bitch about Gutsy. The new desktop switcher thingy that changes between desktop one and two wants to change every time i touch the side of my touch pad where the scroll part is. I gotta find a way to kill it.

That's probably because Gnome panel binds the scroll wheel to switch desktops/apps and they idiotically don't have an option for it to be disabled. You have to disable the mouse wheel functionality in X entirely (so it doesn't work in browsers and other stuff). You can hack around it by remapping the wheel events to other buttons and then mapping those buttons to scroll in each app, but the real solution is for Gnome to put a toggle for this. It's easy to not hit the mouse wheel accidentally on a real mouse, but on a laptop it is much easier to accidentally trigger the scroll functionality.

This bug has been open for almost a year now: "Bug 402528 – Offer option to disable scroll wheel on task list".

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:08 pm

So I'm going to have to reinstall linux on my server due to a dead hard drive. Is there any reason not to install the beta of 7.10? The real one comes out in 3 days and I don't remember it being all that difficult to upgrade. Thoughts/comments?

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:30 pm

No reason that I can think of, everything is working fine for me, I can't seem to find the server install on their download page though, so I would just get 7.04 server and do an update.
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.

AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:17 am

How well does Ubuntu work on an LCD TV? I have a Dell W3201C and Will be trying out Ubuntu on my HTPC build once the final release is out (in two days?).
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:30 am

I'm sure it works fine, lot's of people use Ubuntu to run mythtv and I'm sure plenty of them use it with LCD tvs. Yeah, it releases in 2 days, I would grab the beta now and upgrade though, I'm sure on release day their servers will get hit hard by people upgrading.
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.

AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:16 pm

Okay so, a lot of people picked this up now that it's fully released, what do ya'll think (i've put the beta on two peoples computers that know nothing about even dealing with windows and have received NO calls of problems with it.)

*also i want to add, i'm not even sure honestly why they called the original a beta, i've had updates here and there, for the first few days it was at least 200 megs of updates a day, but since then it was normal ubuntu updates and, realizing that was my progression towards the final release in which when i downloaded the last update, i was updated to the official release(there weren't any updates in the day or so before hand) is pretty cool.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

gibson
Gerbil First Class

Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:03 pm

I put it on my machine last night. I've used Ubuntu since Dapper and love it, and think Gutsy is a step in the right direction. This is the first time that i've installed Ubuntu and it pretty much works 'out of the box'. The only thing I've had to play with to get to work (besides my own nitpicks) is my IntelliMouse. It's side buttons don't work by default. But no big deal. The restricted drivers app is awesome...I like not having to mess with video drivers or xorg stuff - I've always had to due to my deal head setup. So +1.

Now if only Creative would release an X-Fi driver that actually works. Oh well!
"Not the wind, not the flag; mind is moving."

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:15 pm

Well I just dropped back to 7.04 on my laptop. For some reason I could never get 7.10 to update on my system. I couldnt download programs, couldnt even get flash installed, I had random hard locks with 7.10 all the time also which never happened with either winxp or 7.04. 7.04 worked perfect from day one so I guess I am going to stick with it for awhile yet.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:56 pm

Hance wrote:
Well I just dropped back to 7.04 on my laptop. For some reason I could never get 7.10 to update on my system. I couldnt download programs, couldnt even get flash installed, I had random hard locks with 7.10 all the time also which never happened with either winxp or 7.04. 7.04 worked perfect from day one so I guess I am going to stick with it for awhile yet.

I've had the random hard locks as well on my desktop. Other than that, my experience has been quite positive. Many of the nitpick problems I had with 7.04 have been corrected. They lock up is an annoyance, but I haven't had time to research it or to drop back to 7.04.

--SS