Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:34 am

Yes, I missed the last transfer window. I've been a bit busy at work and home and hadn't even checked my PMs until it was too late. Ah well...

BTW Any feelings on the McLaren penalty? I think it was a bit harsh, probably wouldn't have happened if it wasn't Ferrari vs McLaren (FIA tend to favour Ferrari, and I say that as a Ferrari fan).

Also how about Alonso and Hamilton in to the first corner? I thought that was too much by Alonso - he actually put his own wheels on to the grass when he should have left 1 car width there. If Hamilton hadn't moved on to the runoff area then they would have hit - likely resulting in no points for either. Not sure about appeals to Stewards, I suspect it has to be by the team rather than by an individual driver and there is no way that McLaren will try and get one of their drivers more points at the expense of the other. I suspect that next time Hamilton will just not move over on to the runoff next time.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:46 am

Alonso's a whiny pussy who can't accept that Hamilton is so talented. He's so damn whiny he's even been successful in getting Ron Dennis to withhold his setup information from Hamilton. Some teamwork, there.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Sikthskies
Gerbil Elite

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:37 am

Have to say I wasn't expecting to be beating you still Fox. Looks like you are indeed going to win :(
Q6600|Asus P5b Deluxe|Corsair VX550|4gb Cell Shock 6400|4890|320gb Seagate|Zalman 9700|2407WFP

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:56 am

notfred wrote:
BTW Any feelings on the McLaren penalty? I think it was a bit harsh, probably wouldn't have happened if it wasn't Ferrari vs McLaren (FIA tend to favour Ferrari, and I say that as a Ferrari fan).
Got this in the mail this morning and I think it sums it up quite well? :lol:
Captain Ned wrote:
Alonso's a whiny pussy who can't accept that Hamilton is so talented. He's so damn whiny he's even been successful in getting Ron Dennis to withhold his setup information from Hamilton. Some teamwork, there.
I don't know if he "got" Dennis to withhold information. May be he just needed to arm-twist his engineer? RD may be too busy dealing with the other **** and may also want to create the illusion of "fairness" so he was turning a blind eye to it, for now. I feel it may be kind of fair that if they are that tight in the championship, as long as they don't take each out on the track it's ok. The going out wide at turn 1 did seem out of Alonso control though.

Having said that, I am getting some dislike against Alonso too. He's acting Schumacher (the real one, not Half) like but he was trying to be cute about it. At least Schumacher had the audacity to ask for number 1 status in his contract while Alonso was trying to not be that but now he's expecting to be, which is impossible if he did not get it in writing. If he pulls a Button at the end of the season then I'll definitely be rooting for Kimi and Hamilton next season.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:26 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
He's so damn whiny he's even been successful in getting Ron Dennis to withhold his setup information from Hamilton. Some teamwork, there.
I don't know if he "got" Dennis to withhold information. May be he just needed to arm-twist his engineer?

I heard that he was offering his engineers a bonus if he finished in front of Hamilton until McLaren stepped in and stopped that. I suspect Alonso is out of there at the end of this season with all this behaviour.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:49 am

Looks like it's almost certain that he's going to pull a Button. I wonder if Ron Dennis will sue and how much Alonso will have to pay out of his pocket to settle this.

Look at James Allen's comment about Kovalainen.
James Allen of ITV F1 wrote:
Still, he really looks the part now and I’m sure he’ll make a great team with Alonso at Renault next year…
He said it with pretty good confidence eh?

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:51 am

notfred wrote:
I heard that he was offering his engineers a bonus if he finished in front of Hamilton until McLaren stepped in and stopped that. I suspect Alonso is out of there at the end of this season with all this behaviour.
I don't know that a bonus for success is too unreasonable. He probably could have worded it better than "if I beat Hamilton" though.

thill9
Gerbil First Class

Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:06 pm

If I were Ron, I'd let Alonso go wherever he wanted. He has created way too much disharmony in the team. Anyone that would threaten his boss with evidence that he created (with de la Rosa's help) should be shown the door.
But, if McLaren could get any money out of him for breaking his contract, then all the better. $100 million is some serious money to have to pay back. :o

I could see Ron paying his good buddy Frank Williams some money to part with Nico Rosberg. I see him as being the most suitable of the available drivers out there. It'll be good to bid Mr. Fisichella a fond farewell from Renault. He and Ralf will be lucky to find another team next year.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:30 pm

thill9 wrote:
But, if McLaren could get any money out of him for breaking his contract, then all the better. $100 million is some serious money to have to pay back. :o
They already don't have to pay that full amount, since this is going to be offset by the amount they "would have obtained" by their position in the constructor's.

thill9 wrote:
I could see Ron paying his good buddy Frank Williams some money to part with Nico Rosberg.
Both Rosberg and Williams claimed they are going to be in the same team next year. But I guess everything and everyone have a price. Will be interesting to see how this turns out, whether Ron will go out and find a guy or promote from within. Try to steal Davidson from Honda? Now that's a radical idea, all British lineup! Don't know about the availability of Piquet Jr though, that can be interesting.

thill9 wrote:
It'll be good to bid Mr. Fisichella a fond farewell from Renault. He and Ralf will be lucky to find another team next year.
Those two wannabes have had way too much time (and money) to prove themselves. They should probably just retire and leave the seats to upcoming more capable drivers.

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:11 am

Interesting viewpoint from the press bench. Have not really followed F1, and am aware of Schumacher's antics, but Alonso seems so much worse.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:24 am

Gandhi wrote:
Interesting viewpoint from the press bench. Have not really followed F1, and am aware of Schumacher's antics, but Alonso seems so much worse.
IMO the parking antics at Monaco last year is still worse. Alonso has not tried to take out other cars for the sake of his own championship yet (at least no crash resulted). We will see what he is made of in the next 3 races. If he takes the lead will he try to take Hamilton out after that? We will see.

The way I see it, if Alonso really wants "number 1" treatment like Schu back in Ferrari, then get it in writing. He chose not to do so, so he should man up to it. In that sense he's less than Schu. If not for his attitude, I don't think the team will be so much against him (he's already in a disadvantage because Hamilton is a British driver in a British team, and Alonso still wants to throw tantrums? you made your own bed man).

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Japanese GP

Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:56 am

Wow :o :o :o

Look at all the rain and water! It's madness.

Sikthskies
Gerbil Elite

Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:24 am

That was one of the best races so far this season. Poor poor Alonso...... :lol: .
Q6600|Asus P5b Deluxe|Corsair VX550|4gb Cell Shock 6400|4890|320gb Seagate|Zalman 9700|2407WFP

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:35 am

Kinda boring for the first 18 laps though.

Sikthskies
Gerbil Elite

Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:03 am

Yea true, but when it got under way it was very exciting,

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Chinese GP

Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:56 am

Another wow. :o :o :o

Who's the idiot that didn't bring Lewis in sooner? At least finish the damn race now I have no points from him. :evil: :evil:

Oh well, even the FIAt could not write a better script. It's down to one race and Lewis needs at least 3rd place to clinch it all. From the spectator's standpoint you wouldn't have it any other way.

Bring it on!

Sikthskies
Gerbil Elite

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:46 am

I'm in disbelief. If Hamilton doesn't get the title because of this I will be sorely dissapointed

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:51 pm

Well, Lewis qualified 2nd to Massa. Kimi and Alonso come up 3rd and 4th respectively.

Team orders?

Interesting race tomorrow, eh?

thill9
Gerbil First Class

Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:40 pm

four words - Hamilton is an idiot.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:06 pm

thill9 wrote:
four words - Hamilton is an idiot.
The engine problem is not his fault though.

So "fairness" is to cut out his engine? /conspiracy

thill9
Gerbil First Class

Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:10 pm

Hard telling how he would have finished had he not fought for 3rd position and crashed over the chicanes. He should have taken it easy and nursed the car to 4th place. Similar situation to the last race.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:13 pm

It's hard enough to lose the Driver's Championship through your own foibles, but when half of your team is sabotaging you so that their guy (and the pre-season anointed one) can win just plain sucks.

Alonso will forever be condemned as a simpering, unsportsmanlike, prima donna in my books. Using his knowledge of the Ferrari data to try to force McLaren into making him #1 driver (and slowing down Hamilton) is damn near criminal. At least he's Renault's problem next year. With any luck Ron Dennis can pay part of the $100 million fine by recaprturing $$ from Alonso for breaking his contract.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:27 pm

At least Kimi won with the most wins, so at least not everyone will be complaining about the points system awarding victories less for a while longer.

Plus I do have Kimi in my pool! :)

Edit: I would probably add "whiny" to Alonso's adjectives too.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:29 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Edit: I would probably add "whiny" to Alonso's adjectives too.

I sorta thought "simpering" covered that. :lol:

thill9
Gerbil First Class

Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:27 pm

Congratulations goes out to Flying Fox for winning our TR mini-league. He finished in the top 2% of the entire gp league! :o

cubical10
Gerbil First Class

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:27 am

It was interesting to see how our little league mimicked the real life.
3 top teams followed by the rest of us.
I was hoping to finish best of the rest, but the Tifosi nudged me out :(.
Congrats to all.

On a side note, the worst rule change was announced today, FIA announces ten-year engine freeze for F1. For a sport that claims to be the pinnacle of technology, how do you freeze a major component of the car for a decade? Mosley has to go...
Cubical 10
I only know enough to be dangerous.

Do ubuntu? pfsense

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:54 am

I think that they should allow them to use whatever engines they like - piston, rotary, turbine, whatever, and also allow energy recovery braking. Limit the teams on the amount of fuel they can use in a race and as the seasons go on reduce that amount. You could even allow them to use the equivalent energy in another format (electricity, hydrogen, Mr Fusion?). That would get some of the smartest minds in the world working on solving the worlds energy problems. Also require the teams to produce publicly available technical explanations of how their systems work - this would help level the playing field and provide interest to the public. Only rules are they have to prove to the FIA that the system is safe in the event of an accident, and they have to prove that all energy storage systems are empty before they first fuel it.

diamond2a
Gerbil First Class

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:21 am

notfred wrote:
I think that they should allow them to use whatever engines they like - piston, rotary, turbine, whatever, and also allow energy recovery braking. Limit the teams on the amount of fuel they can use in a race and as the seasons go on reduce that amount. You could even allow them to use the equivalent energy in another format (electricity, hydrogen, Mr Fusion?). That would get some of the smartest minds in the world working on solving the worlds energy problems. Also require the teams to produce publicly available technical explanations of how their systems work - this would help level the playing field and provide interest to the public. Only rules are they have to prove to the FIA that the system is safe in the event of an accident, and they have to prove that all energy storage systems are empty before they first fuel it.

This sounded crazy to me at first, but i pondered it a bit and think it would be pretty interesting. Unfortunately it would cost the teams a lot of money, which is what the engine regulations have been seeking to avoid. I'd still like to see a formula of this type implemented somewhere; with a fixed amount of fuel there's a theoretical maximum amount of energy you can obtain. How that energy is produced and used during a race would make for some very interesting engineering, strategy, and racing.
Opteron 170 @ 2500 stock cooler/voltage, 1GB Corsair CL 2.5, DFI LanParty UT NF4-D, Sapphire X1950 XT, 160GB IDE, 60GB IDE, 250GB SATA

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:19 am

diamond2a wrote:
Unfortunately it would cost the teams a lot of money, which is what the engine regulations have been seeking to avoid.

Formula 1 teams will always spend as much money as they can. If you ban engine improvements, they'll spend it on the aero, if you ban aero improvements they'll spend it on the driver's helmet shape or something as nutty. Might as well get them to do something useful to the rest of us by researching fuel efficiency.

Sikthskies
Gerbil Elite

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:27 am

cubical10 wrote:
It was interesting to see how our little league mimicked the real life.
3 top teams followed by the rest of us.
I was hoping to finish best of the rest, but the Tifosi nudged me out :(.
Congrats to all.

On a side note, the worst rule change was announced today, FIA announces ten-year engine freeze for F1. For a sport that claims to be the pinnacle of technology, how do you freeze a major component of the car for a decade? Mosley has to go...

Fox just got away with it! :P.

I'd rather see a 10 yea freeze on an 18k rpm 650hp engine than they do what they were once contemplating which was to bring in 10k limited biofuel engines.