Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:45 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
So I have the hard drive I backed the dead one up to plugged in via an external USB device. Now how do I get linux to see it? There's no "device manager" that I can find. *scratches head*

There may be some fancy Gnome/KDE blessed tool to use (in fact, I thought they placed icons on your desktop automatically when removable media/drives appear), but here's a baseline way: when you plug it in, you should check "dmesg" to see what the device name is. There's probably nothing special you'd have to do to get it to see the drive (assuming you are running a modern/non-custom config); it's just assigned a device node and waiting for you to mount the partitions.

Like when I plug in a memory stick, I'll get something like this:
usb 4-8: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
usb 4-8: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
scsi131 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb-storage: device found at 6
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb-storage: device scan complete
scsi 131:0:0:0: Direct-Access     SanDisk  Cruzer Micro     0.1  PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
SCSI device sdd: 501759 512-byte hdwr sectors (257 MB)
sdd: Write Protect is off
sdd: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sdd: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sdd: 501759 512-byte hdwr sectors (257 MB)
sdd: Write Protect is off
sdd: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sdd: assuming drive cache: write through
 sdd: sdd1
sd 131:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdd
sd 131:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg4 type 0

in dmesg. Then I could just mount /dev/sdd1 somewhere and use it.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:16 am

Thanks for that. I tried a couple things, but after about 20 minutes of trying, I just opened the side of the case, and put the hard drive inside. Currently booting from the recovery cd thing.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:17 am

Well after finally getting the recovered data off of the temp hard drive that I borrowed from work to copy the files off of the dead hard drive, I can now search for the SQL database. It's the only thing that I want. :cry:

*UPDATE: restoring my SQL backup from June.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:27 pm

bitvector wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:
What I'd really like is if I could Copy and Paste from Windows to Linux and back.

That's exactly what VMware tools enables. You install VMware tools in the guest to get two way copy & paste. Previously, that was a perk of the pay VMware over the free version. Just last month, though, VMware unveiled an open-source version of the tools: Open VM Tools. It is too new to have official packages for Ubuntu, though. Debian has a contrib package in experimental, which means it's too new and untested to even go into unstable, but you might try grabbing the deb source and building it if you use a Debian derivative (or just grab the official source and build). What distro & version are you running in the VM? I just built a test package of open-vm-tools for a gutsy VM and it works pretty well (it at least supports cut & paste in X as well as seamless mouse movement between VM and host); I could build one for your distro/version/architecture if it's Debian or Ubuntu.

I'm using Ubuntu 6.10. I plan on moving to 7.10 at some point, since I've read it's faster. When 7.04 showed up I decided not to upgrade because the general trend of things has been to get bigger and slower, though I probably should have tested it. From what I've seen in 6.10, Gnome is fairly efficient. Anyway, the original plan was to run as lightweight a version as possible since it was originally almost entirely for Folding, but for some reason I couldn't get my server version to work right and I've left it waiting for me to get more ambitious than I've been so far. Lately I've been considering running a mail server so I can easily check email from other machines, but I'm still leaning toward Windows for that for the time being, mainly because of backups (which is why if I could read and write an NTFS partition from within a VM, that would be the way I'd prefer to go).

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:51 pm

Well I've pretty much given up on trying to recover the database. To be honest, this has been really hard for me. I was more depressed today than I have been in a really long time. I took myself out to lunch and yeah.

So from this point forward, I'm not really going to even try to bother rebuilding most of my stuff. It's just too much work and would require time that I don't have.

Here's what I lost:
*3 gallery2 photo gallery's (The pictures themselves are still intact, but without the framework, it's not really useful
*my blog
*2 calendars that I had put together to keep track of school work and non-school stuff
*timeclock
*the wedding registry that I had built
*the guitar/music collection of tabs and powerpoints that I had collected (again the pictures/files are there, but no framework...)
*My DVD collection that I had built

I know it's my own dumb fault for not being better about backup up, but gosh dang it.