Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

maverix
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Mar 18, 2002 4:33 am

Hi everybody! I'm new to this forum and I've got a hot issue to resolve.
Here's the pc: PIV 1.7, 256Mb ram, WinXP pro.
Here's the problem: when I try to install the Radeon 8500 64DDR on this pc, it cause a conflict with 'Intel controller for AGP'. The video card works very slow with no functions (tv, etc.) 'cause I can't install the driver for that problem. On Window property I got a 'VGAsave' as video card (?!?) after the installation and no monitor. No chance to change it or change the I/O memory address that is in conflict...
Before there was a NVidia ge2 that worked fine.
After many tries I formatted the pc with 98 os and the card works good with no conflicts. I upgraded that configuration to XP pro and I got the same problem with Intel controller...
Please help me! I didn't read anything about this stuff on the web so I don't really know what to do.
Thank you forwardlly for your help.
Ciao from ITALY to all! :eek:)

maverix
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:38 am

Well guys, there was no way to make it works so I returned it to the shop and I got a GeForce2mx 64ddr that works fine.
The problem now is that Creative Honk Kong forgot to put inside the tv-out cable so now I have to wait the free shipping cable that they are making to me :sad:
Ciao to everybody!

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 21, 2002 9:41 pm

gf2 mx 64mb ddr? since when did they make those?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 21, 2002 10:51 pm

It is probably a Creative GeForce2MX. It has 64-bit DDR. It actually works out to slightly under-perform 128-bit SDR of similar clock speed on other GeForce2MX's.

NVidia prevented the card OEMs from linking the GeForce2MX to 128-bit DDR because it would have performed within a few percent of the GeForce2 GTS and siphoned away sales of their top-end product. All of the GeForce2 and GeForce2MX cards have been bottlenecked by their RAM bandwidth. The GPUs spend a lot of time waiting for the RAM to deliver data. You can jack your core speed up a bunch and not change your gaming performance very much. Increasing RAM speed has an immediate and nearly-linear effect on frame rates in many games, especially in 32-bit color and at decent resolutions.

If you ever wondered how well a GeForce2MX could do if it were coupled with 128-bit DDR memory, take a look at the new "GeForce4MX" 440. It's got the same pipelines as the GeForce2MX, but a lot better memory (and a more efficient memory controller).