Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Coldfirex
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2002 4:03 pm

I just got this email somehow from Trafficmagnet.net. This is crap. What do they do, go through our user logs and rip off their email addresses?
Edit: In the email theres a snapshot of Tech-Report's homepage from today it looks like.

Hi

I visited TECH-REPORT.COM, and noticed that you're not listed on some search engines! I think we can offer you a service which can help you increase traffic and the number of visitors to your website.

I would like to introduce you to TrafficMagnet.net. We offer a unique technology that will submit your website to over 300,000 search engines and directories every month.

You'll be surprised by the low cost, and by how effective this website promotion method can be.

To find out more about TrafficMagnet and the cost for submitting your website to over 300,000 search engines and directories, visit http://www.TrafficMagnet.net.

I would love to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Christine Hall
Sales and Marketing
E-mail: [email protected]
http://www.TrafficMagnet.net

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Coldfirex on 2002-03-21 15:04 ]</font>

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 21, 2002 4:47 pm

The email account I use for TR stuff, including forums and comments, is used for nothing else, and on occasion, I have gotten spam on that account. I suppose it's a fact of the 'net that there are scum out there. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it, except hide your email address.

dolemitecomputers

Thu Mar 21, 2002 4:57 pm

I got the same email Coldfirex. Only once but I thought it was kind of strange. I know TR wouldnt be selling out our info. At least I hope not.

Damage
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 21, 2002 5:04 pm

Guys, I get this same e-mail. These spammers are apparently crawling the site with a spider, picking up e-mail addresses, and then mailing out solicitations to addresses they assume are associated with the site.

If you want to avoid getting such messages, go to "Edit your preferences" and set "Allow other users to view my Email Address" to "No". That should prevent future spider programs from picking up your address.

And no, we aren't selling your info, nor will we ever.

dolemitecomputers

Thu Mar 21, 2002 5:23 pm

Thanks Damage.

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 21, 2002 5:45 pm

Thanx Damage, and I'm not especially worried, that e-mail addy I've given is now useless thanx to another.com going subscripton-based...

Ah well, no matter then,
IntelMole

SecretSquirrel

Fri Mar 22, 2002 1:36 am

Actually, I intend to leave mine visible. Call it an experiment in internet information flow. Like I said, this email address is used only for things directly relating to TR (actually I think I used it to register at one other tech site). I am quiet curious to see how long it takes for me to get any serious amount of spam on it. So far, I have recieved only this one email.

Spune
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 22, 2002 1:58 am

No worries here. I have been using this hotmail account for so long its everywhere. I have hotmail's filter set to max and still get lots of spam. I think its time for me to retire it.

Spammers should die!
There is no Spune!

murray
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 22, 2002 3:09 am

I wonder if this means such notorious persons as 1280@1024 or Athlon1600@1800 are receiving junk mail...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: murray on 2002-03-22 02:10 ]</font>

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 22, 2002 3:27 am

Good to hear Damage, I'm not worried for 2 reasons. First, I hide my address and second the address I use here is my public one for such junk. It is fascinating how much stuff flows into and out of my account.
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

Damage
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:11 pm

You guys should see the amount of spam I get. My mail address (several of them actually) has been all over this site (and Ars) forever.

The flow of crap on weekends is especially impressive. And I mean real spam, not just legit news mailings about thermal paste reviews and the like. It's amazing how obscene can be, too, considering they have no idea about the age/sex/religion/etc. of the people they're spamming.

And probably 5-10% of the spam I get now is in Chinese, which I couldn't read to save my life.

But if you ever need a great deal on a mortgage, an herbal cure for the female equivalent of erectile dysfunction, farm animal pr0n, or some toner supplies, my spam-filter message rules will catch plenty of options for you.