Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

puredigital101
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

quad core system reboots when using nero vision express

Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:40 pm

hi wonder if anyone can help me, I have just put together a quad core system which is not over clocked, system includes q core q6600 housed in a gigabyte P35-DS3/S3, using 2 sticks of matched one gig ocz 6400 ddr2 my graphics card nvida 7900 gto 512 of ram, creative sound card audigy 2 zs psu jeantec 600w, two sata drives, one ide drive, dvd burner, running on win xp pro sp2 fully updated after clean install, bios updated

my problem is while encoding in nero vision express 4 which uses all four
cores, it gets so far then the screen goes black and the system reboots tried diffrent video files same results..

seems fine in everything else including 3d rendering in bryce 6 though I have not tried it on any games yet

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:43 pm

off to general software we go

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:45 pm

That's a tough call, could be a lot of different things.

Does the reboot happen at the exact same point in the encode every time, or at a random spot in the encode? If it always happens in exactly the same spot, then that points to a software bug of some sort (though a Nero bug really ought not to be able to cause a full system reboot).

Have you checked Nero's site for updates?

If it doesn't happen at the same spot each time, it may be hardware. Have you run a memory diagnostic? It could also be an overheating issue, or a marginal power supply...
Last edited by just brew it! on Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:45 pm

Hance wrote:
off to general software we go

Hmm... I don't think we've ruled out dodgy hardware just yet. If it was just the app crashing, I'd be inclined to agree... but he's seeing a system reboot.

puredigital101
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:29 pm

happens at random times, I did get it to go all the way to the end, and and was able to set it burning to disk, then bang it reset while doing that , but most of the time it does it while its encoding, tried using burning software that doesn't use all four cores and it seems to work fine

puredigital101
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:34 pm

ok it's just done it while i was typing in here so maybe its not just encoding, no blue screen montior just goes black system reboots
not tried memory test yet but i have just taken ram out of duel channel and put it back so its running in single channel

doing another encode to see if has any effect

puredigital101
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:49 pm

ok it seems to have encoded fine this time and is now writing to disk
now got my fingers crossed

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:59 pm

Sounds like a general system stability issue. RAM, motherboard, PSU, that sort of thing.

If it runs stable in single-channel mode but acts wonky in dual-channel, try loosening your RAM timings a bit.

(Thread moved to General Hardware...)

Edit: I've never heard of Jeantech before, so I'm somewhat suspicious of the PSU. But if it runs stable in single-channel, that points more to a motherboard or RAM issue.

puredigital101
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:10 pm

thanks for help guys :D , well its on my second video file now and its working fine so far, not bothered if its running in duel or single as long as it works
but i think you right as i just read somewhere else of someone with the same problem and board which they fixed by running in single rather than duel

puredigital101
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:15 pm

:( ok spoke too soon just did it again

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:34 pm

Time to run a RAM diagnostic, and try backing down on your memory timings.

If you have (or can borrow) a spare PSU to test with, that would be helpful as well.

Basically you're going to have to use a process of elimination to isolate the source of the trouble.

puredigital101
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:02 pm

thanks for that i will try and borrow one, the one I have is brand new if it helps this is the one i have http://www.jeantech.com/600.htm

and in the manual it says mimum for fully loaded is 500 watts so i got one that is 600

i will download mem test is there anything in the bios i can change to help

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:10 pm

puredigital101 wrote:
i will download mem test is there anything in the bios i can change to help

Relaxing your memory timings may help. This means reducing the memory clock and/or increasing the various latency settings (CAS, command rate, etc.).

The default timings are supposed to be stable, but this is (unfortunately) not always the case.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:20 pm

Turning off "Automatically Restart" (System properties, Advanced Tab, Startup and Recovery Button) may give you a BSOD instead of just seeing a black screen and reboot. That may provide a further clue, though it will probably just point us in the same general direction: run memtest overnight.

Are you sure you have latest drivers for everything? Windows update doesn't necessarily get you those.

Daveburt714
Gerbil Elite

Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:45 pm

Just thought I would offer a couple suggestions too...

Since you just built this system you may want to monitor your CPU temp, most newer Mobo's supply software to do that for you. If not try Everest. It's possible the HSF may not be seated well, and encoding puts a big load on the processor.

On the other hand Nero is NOT the software it once was!!! I'm running Nero7 Ultra Edition (with HD pluggin) on a Vista HP system and it is still very quirky!! They've never even fixed 1/2 the bugs in version 7 and they're already trying to get me to buy Nero8! Personally, I'll have to read some stellar reviews before I purchase their software again.....

Try this site for some freeware/shareware encoders and see if you have better luck
http://www.doom9.org/

Removing Dual Channel mode is a good debugging option, but it will give your system a performance hit, once you get things working the way you want I'd switch it back to Dual...
Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 1055T X6 | Mushkin 2x2 1600 @ 1.35v | Visontek 4870/512 | Watercooled | Corsair TX750 PSU | Windows 7 64bit | Corsair 800D Obsidian