Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Gilligan
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

TV does not pass HDMI audio to OPTICAL?!?!

Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:08 pm

My buddy has this...

LC32D62U

Its a sharp LCD that has HDMI inputs, but the audio does not pass through to the optical for some reason!!

Anyone know how to fix this? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?
If there's a will, there's a way.

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Re: TV does not pass HDMI audio to OPTICAL?!?!

Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:25 pm

Gilligan wrote:
My buddy has this...

LC32D62U

Its a sharp LCD that has HDMI inputs, but the audio does not pass through to the optical for some reason!!

Anyone know how to fix this? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

What is hooked up to those HDMI inputs?

gophers13
Gerbil

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:08 pm

I have a Samsung DLP and it does the same thing. The optical output is only used for 5.1 sound from OTA channels.

Gilligan
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:24 am

yeah I did a little bit of more searching (still not certain) and read that most TVs only output via the optical using their over the air TV tuners.

I have no CLUE why they do that! Is it that hard to route the sound from the HDMI to the optical! There must be some reason they do this. Probably has something to do with digital rights management ****. :evil:

This means that my buddy is screwed. We were trying to watch Transformers in 1080p via his xbox 360 HD DVD player. He uses a logitech z5500 system for the sound, which only has an optical digital hookup, not an HDMI hookup. This is why we use the component hookup which has an optical out for the xbox 360 cables. The Sharp TV he has accepts 1080p over component, however the stupid HD DVD drive does not allow 1080p to be delivered over component, only VGA and HDMI. So we tried hooking up the 360 via HDMI, but then the TV cannot route the audio to the speakers via its optical out.

So then we had to decide, 1080i over the component with the Dolby Digital, or 1080p with stereo. Of course we chose the 1080i with DD! Gotta have those surround effects!

So because he does not have a receiver that accepts HDMI, he cannot have digital sound with 1080p!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:27 am

Just use the dongle that outputs optical out of the xbox and put that into the receiver. That's how I have it hooked up on mine.

Gilligan wrote:
Is it that hard to route the sound from the HDMI to the optical! There must be some reason they do this. Probably has something to do with digital rights management ****. :evil:

Quit your whining. It has nothing to do with DRM :roll: It's just that you can't just pass a signal in whatever form you like via whatever means you like. The standards for HDMI and Optical are not the same. For example, you can't transmit uncompressed 7.1 signal (DD TruHD/DTS Master) via the optical, it can only be done via HDMI. Thus it's not really backwards compatible. Since there are limitations on what type of signal is passed via OTA surround sound and they all use the same format for their sound, it's much easier to allow that signal out the TV via optical.

Also for components that plug into the TV, I guess the manufacturers figure that you'd be smart enough to just get the signal from the device to the receiver yourself.

Gilligan
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:48 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Just use the dongle that outputs optical out of the xbox and put that into the receiver. That's how I have it hooked up on mine.

Gilligan wrote:
Is it that hard to route the sound from the HDMI to the optical! There must be some reason they do this. Probably has something to do with digital rights management ****. :evil:

Quit your whining. It has nothing to do with DRM :roll: It's just that you can't just pass a signal in whatever form you like via whatever means you like. The standards for HDMI and Optical are not the same. For example, you can't transmit uncompressed 7.1 signal (DD TruHD/DTS Master) via the optical, it can only be done via HDMI. Thus it's not really backwards compatible. Since there are limitations on what type of signal is passed via OTA surround sound and they all use the same format for their sound, it's much easier to allow that signal out the TV via optical.

Also for components that plug into the TV, I guess the manufacturers figure that you'd be smart enough to just get the signal from the device to the receiver yourself.

yeah your right about it not being entirely backwards compatable, but they still could have connected it. Is there a reason WHY optical cannot transmit dd truhd? Probably just the big companies trying to make everyone's stuff out of date so you have to buy new stuff.

Anyways you are missing the problem. There is only an optical out of the xbox 360 when the component is plugged in, which cannot transmit 1080p due to stupid DRM. When the component cable is plugged in, you cannot plug the hdmi in as well.

Gilligan
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:49 am

it seems i found a solution however!!

excellent

http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:03 am

Ah, I take it your friend doesn't have the adapter that my xbox 360 elite came with?

Also, optical doesn't have the bandwidth to support non-compressed signal. It's a simple as that.

Gilligan
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:40 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Ah, I take it your friend doesn't have the adapter that my xbox 360 elite came with?

Also, optical doesn't have the bandwidth to support non-compressed signal. It's a simple as that.

doesn't have the bandwidth? Why not? What dictates what the bandwidth is? The specification of the optical link? If so, why not just update the optical specification as they do with hdmi 1.2, 1.3 etc

They just want to make more money

but yeah he has an xbox without that adapter, and the morons that designed the 360 put the plugs to close, probably on purpose just for this instance so that people would have to buy the stupid adapter :roll:

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:04 am

Gilligan wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

doesn't have the bandwidth? Why not? What dictates what the bandwidth is? The specification of the optical link? If so, why not just update the optical specification as they do with hdmi 1.2, 1.3 etc

They just want to make more mone.

Or maybe you could accept that not everything is a conspiracy and realize that there are limits to technology. Changing specifications can't magically make electrons flow any faster, for example. (I don't completely understand the specs of TOSLINK so I can't speak to those directly).

BTW, it comes with the HDMI cable from Microsoft:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xb ... miavcable/

Gilligan
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:37 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Gilligan wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

They just want to make more mone.

Or maybe you could accept that not everything is a conspiracy and realize that there are limits to technology. Changing specifications can't magically make electrons flow any faster, for example. (I don't completely understand the specs of TOSLINK so I can't speak to those directly).

BTW, it comes with the HDMI cable from Microsoft:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xb ... miavcable/

figuring that the companies are just out to get more money is hardly a conspiracy theory, its an obvious truth

who cares if it comes with an hdmi cable, its a 50 dollar rip off. An hdmi cable costs 10bucks. they could have put the plugs further apart so people did not have to buy that thing. Good thing someone figured out how to take the casing off the regular one and make it all fit

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:57 am

I don't get it, what does the two plugs being close together have to do with anything?

Gilligan
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:42 pm

Go to this link... it describes the problem we have here, and also has a mod that fixes it! :D :D

http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:12 pm

It is probably more of an oversight than a conspiracy-driven design. They probably figure if they have HDMI they probably have a receiver or a TV that can take that audio signal too. It seems simpler to me that they just overlooked it, and Microsoft is famous for that kind of "bugs".
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Gilligan
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:34 pm

shame on them either way :roll:

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

MadCatz to the rescue

Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:49 pm

Thread, I summon thee!

Looks like MadCatz may see a market with this, planning a $90 device:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/19/madc ... pre-order/
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:22 am

Gilligan wrote:
Is there a reason WHY optical cannot transmit dd truhd?
Is there any reason why you can't shove 50 pounds of crap into a 25 pound bag?

Transformers doesn't have a Dolby True HD soundtrack anyway. It's a Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 track at 1.5mbps, which is marginally better than a regular Dolby Digital track. When you output a Dolby Digital Plus track via optical, the HD-DVD player reencodes it to a DTS track which nearly every receiver made this century can decode. Though it's a reencode and there's a loss of quality, it still sounds good. So stop complaining. If you want to take full advantage of next gen audio codecs, buy a new HDMI AV receiver.