Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

JavaDog
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Time for a Challenge...

Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:13 am

Ok guys, working on a project for myself...
Using a Mini-ITX board in a portable solution...need a slim/lighter weight way of powering the board/laptop HD, and a screen which is 12v...any ideas? I can have custom batteries made, but more $$, could just use laptop batteries off of e-bay...BUT the custom battery might be the better route...

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas? Also, anyone know of a source for 10in (or so) touch screen lcd's? Found plenty of normal lcds...which just may have to work...only like $150 for 800x600 with s-video connection...

JavaDog
Topic Author

Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:07 pm

This Forum doesn't catch that much traffic, does it? :-?

JrdBeau
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:26 pm

Hi JavaDog,

Are you planning on connecting this LCD panel to the onboard LVDS connector that is found on some Mini-ITX boards?

Have you looked at 3com's line of touch panels like the Dynapro or MicroTouch?

This company has lots of kits and parts that you might be interested in. I know there are others out there too. I have been thinking about a project VERY similar to what yours sounds like...at least from a hardware perspective. PM me if you want to chat more.

http://www.voxtechnologies.com/Flat_Pan ... ay_kit.htm

-Jared

JavaDog
Topic Author

Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:18 pm

I was thinking of using the lvds connector, BUT, had alot of trouble finding solid info on what works and what doesn't!! Can find LVDS style repl lcd panels on ebay, from laptops (non touch...but I could deal) for lik $20-50, some are XGA tft's too...but how would I know if they would work, also...the portable power thing is the tough part too...

THAT LINK IS AWESOME!! They have so much that would be perfect, any idea on price/avail/min-purchase? I have a ph33r that they are gonna be really $$$ :cry:

JavaDog
Topic Author

Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:45 pm

Ok...so, 5v and 3.3v rails...when running, should be a 650ma draw, although because fo the hd, I think startup is going to be more of a draw...
Now that doesn't include the lcd panel, I haven't settled on a model yet, so that will have to be figured in as well...

Any ideas anyone?

pmeysemb
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:27 pm

hey javadog
I recently became the owner of old dell laptop that had orange juice spilled on the keyboard. I tore that thing apart for the parts. I believe the screen is a 12" Would you be interested in something like this? for maybe $20 ? Any idea how I could check it to at least see if it works? The previous owner said it worked fine until the spill.

give me an email if you are interested. I am in Duluth,MN.

p.s. I had visions of making my own "poor man's" video entertainment thingy for the back of the minivan. :) but I am not sure about the connector problem.

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:38 pm

Check http://www.mini-itx.com for the PSU issues, they have a 12V PSU for about 55 bucks that works perfectly in an auto situation and might suit your needs as well. As for the screen, no ideas beyond what anyone else has come up with except for this one:

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h_mon_unisys105lcd.html

Which is what I plan to use with my EPIA board in a little project I'm working on as well :)
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

JavaMoose
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:54 am

pmeysemb wrote:
hey javadog
I recently became the owner of old dell laptop that had orange juice spilled on the keyboard. I tore that thing apart for the parts. I believe the screen is a 12" Would you be interested in something like this? for maybe $20 ? Any idea how I could check it to at least see if it works? The previous owner said it worked fine until the spill.

Thanks for the offer, it's usually kinda tough to get that Laptops lcd working with a different systems. Most laptop screens are almost impossible to get working, but a few use a generic enough screen where you can find the controllers...I dunno on a Dell though. (Just a though on the poor mans car system, EBay has 10.4in lcd's MADE for the car around $100-$150, and grab a Benq port DVD player, and your all set) :D

HowardDrake wrote:
Check http://www.mini-itx.com for the PSU issues, they have a 12V PSU for about 55 bucks that works perfectly in an auto situation and might suit your needs as well. As for the screen, no ideas beyond what anyone else has come up with except for this one:

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h_mon_unisys105lcd.html

Which is what I plan to use with my EPIA board in a little project I'm working on as well :)

Yeah, the 12v PSU is cool, been all over that site...but I really need one that is portable and has recharging capabilities. I think I'm gonna have to wire/make it from scratch...gotta make some electrical engineer friends :wink:

That little mntr has some potential...but the fact that it uses it's own proprietary vid card worries me a bit...mostly because of what happens to companies like that. Remember the scsi scanners that were like that? :o

JavaDog
Topic Author

Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:55 am

also, I think your right, I am almost definatly going to use a touch screen lcd now...maybe 12.1 or 14.1 in... :D