Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

HTPC cases - update - now with pictures

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:34 am

I am currently torn between these 2 cases:

Silverstone Lascala LC11

and the

Silverstone Lascala LC02

The LC02 is not sold in Canada, but I can get one. Does anyone have one or any experience using one of these cases?

These are the only 2 cases now that actually look like a DVD player without the bulk. This will be used by my wife - hooked up to the T.V. - so there will be no gaming and nothing intense. I sold my last HTPC build so it's time to build another one, this time getting asa close to a DVD player as possible.

Thanks.

EDIT: Had to edit the subject since I am changing cases.
Last edited by lex-ington on Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Inkling
TR Staff

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:59 am

You want the SilverStone SSTLC17S

Yes, I know it's taller and less sleek looking, but you'll never have to make compromises on what goes inside. I've seen it in an entertainment system setup and it really looks nice.

/my $.02
Nations, cultures, arts, civilisations-these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendours. -C.S. Lewis

gbcrush
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:12 am

I'm generally leaning in terms of the later models myself. Actually, right now I'm considering their new Crown line CW-01.

I've always tried to avoid the big "rackmount server" sized boxes for the HTPC, even going so far as to build a pseudo-HTPC out of a shuttle (currently my main rig).

The Shuttle (a P-chassis) taught me something important, though, that you'll find mentioned on Silent PC Review and the mobo reviews here: Small fans are almost always annoyingly audible, and even if they're not, they'll start fail faster than 80mm fans or larger. And then, they're even harder to replace, especially with a quiet solution.

That's why I dislike the earlier LC cases. I don't have time to research quiet 60mm fan options, and I don't really want to go out of my way to buy em.
Sabina - i7-3930k | P9x79 Pro | PH-TC14PE w/ 2x TY-140 | 16GB DDR3-1600 1.25V | 2x Samsung 830 256GB | GTX680
Circe - Disconnected and Disconcerted

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:08 am

The build quality of the Silverstone products seems great.

I just finished a build using the SUGO SG-01. Here's why I like it:
1. Accepts full size PSU
2. Accepts µATX mobo (not some proprietary board)
3. Enough room for a full size graphics card.
4. Uses 80mm fans (ignore Newegg's product description)
5. Very light weight (Aluminum).
6. Looks right at home in the entertainment center.
7. Easy to work in.

If you use this case, be sure to also order the Crossflow Fan. It is very quiet and lowered my cpu temp by 7 degrees celcius.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:30 am

JJCDAD wrote:
6. Looks right at home in the entertainment center.
I don't know about that. The SG01 is too "Shuttle like" to me than a highend Audio/Video "player". I would opt for those chassis that look more like a receiver/dvd player myself if I were to build a HTPC.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

lex-ington
Topic Author

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:06 pm

Thanks for the replies guys . . .

I was looking at the taller cases with my wife . . .and she HATES them.

Her exact words were - "They look like that butt-ugly 300-CD player."

She was really fine with the Antec Minuet 300 and since I have shown her cases that actually look like a DVD player, she has opted for that instead. Our space is minimal and the only other electrical device I have by the T.V. is the PS2 (non-slim version), that's what the case has to compete with.

This is my current wish-list (prices to remain as low as possible):
- Sempron 3000
- Gigabyte or MSI mATX board with a DVI connection.
- 250GB HDD
- Slim DVD-RW (according to the wife, its for aesthetic reasons since its her machine)
- 1 GB memory.
- I have a PCI network card and a PCI TV card that has been dremmeled to fit the Antec case.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:10 pm

lex-ington wrote:
This is my current wish-list (prices to remain as low as possible):
- Sempron 3000
- Gigabyte or MSI mATX board with a DVI connection.
Ah, now you tell me, I could have sold you my A64 3200+ with A8N-VM CSM (nice DVI-D+VGA output there) combo (2GB RAM though).... Now I have an X2 in there with the 3200+ still not cleaned up from the thermal goop from old... Wait.... let's talk over PM if you are interested... Timing will be critical...

May be I can get to the Dark Side if I wanted too!? Hmm....
/me goes off and check the E4300 again

lex-ington
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:17 pm

I have been put off of my project for a while for various reasons, but now I am back on the trail and have the go-ahead to do what I want. The only thing I will be spending a little extra cash on is the case. . . . I have decided to go with the Thermaltake Mozart SX

I'll be throwing a X2-3600 in there.

This is salted for sometime in August/September. Hopefully the prices drop on the case and all the other parts by then.
Last edited by lex-ington on Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:26 pm

RAM may go back up in prices though.

Interesting case. The Silverstones and Antecs don't look good enough for you?

lex-ington
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:42 pm

The only Silvertsone I would consider is the LC02 and they don't sell that up here. The Antec I would consider is the Fusion and my wife don't like that one.

I am actually waiting till we move at the end of the month to see what kind of entertainment unit we get, then I'll bite on one of them.

I was considering picking up 2 sticks of 1GB DDR2-667 from PC-Village for $39.99 each really soon . . . . again.

lex-ington
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:57 pm

Well . . . .I finally decided on a case and bought it.

It is the nMedia HTPC180BA and a review can be found here.

I also ordered the Gigabyte 690G-S2H mobo.

I have 2 sticks of DDR2-667, S-ATA DVD drive, and a Sempron 3200 CPU.

I'll be getting the 320GB HDD and the Logitech DiNovo Edge next month . . . along with the OS. Which is my last piece of the puzzle. Should I go with Media Center or Vista Home Premium for an OS. I could go Fedora Core 7 but I don't know if the wife can handle the change.

lex-ington
Topic Author

Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:16 pm

My case and mobo just arrived, so I'll see if I put it together tonight to see if all goes well. I'll take some detailed pics as well. May help out some others if they're planning on doing an HTPC build.

lex-ington
Topic Author

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:32 am

Finally getting around to adding the pictures I took as promised.

Case Front:

Case Rear:

Inside:
Take a good look at where the CD-Tray sits, cause that kind of positioning plays a big factor in the decision making. I am happy with my case,but wish I had known a little more. the reviews on this case was mediocre at best.

Board all snug and comfortable:

Craziness starts:
This is where I started to pelt the case with big rocks (maybe its the board selection). The case is not very tall and the CD-Tray is your standard height, so there was alot of twisting and turning of the power connection to make all the components happy. Not to mention that the SATA connections sit at a 90 degree angle, so the board had to come out to put the cables in.

Thte piece of the case over the SATA connectors is for an IR Receiver . . .so they say.

Finished product:

If there is something in particular anyone would like to see, I can open up the case and take some more pics. It's in the T.V. cabinet now, but very accessible as only the PS2 and the cable box are in there with it.

mac_h8r1

Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:36 pm

"Made in China" looks hand-written.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:47 pm

How loud is it? What about hdd temps?

lex-ington
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:44 am

It is actually rather quiet. The case could really use another fan (two slower ones than one fast one) to make it really silent. The case temperature doesn't get above 33 degrees celcius.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:35 pm

Cool, I'm using a very similar nMedia case myself for my new HTPC.
I like it very much! I like the design as well as the PSU it came with.
I *hated* the CDROM door on it though and ended up ripping it off in a fit of rage..LOL Not a big deal though because it's the black/silver version of the case and the drive is black. I covered up that dumb "HOME THEATER PC" label mostly with AMD and Sapphire case labels. I'll try to take a pic as well later.

fpsduck
Gerbil XP

Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:06 am

Thanks for your pictures.
I just have my eyes on Silverstone LC14 and Lian-Li PC-V880.
Now I got more info inside Silverstone case.
Life is short

lex-ington
Topic Author

Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:02 am

I just changed the processor for an X2-4200 (65W). The Sempron was not having a good time when doing more than 2 things.

I also uninstalled mediaportal since it won't play certain children's DVD's, but the ATI catalyst media center will.

The Microsoft Entertainment Desktop 7000 is pretty slick too. The other KB's I had my eye on just refuse to come down in price.

Right now, with everything I have in there, the internal case temps get around 100 Farenheit with the doors closed and waching a movie. Not bad I guess.

joseph_wh
Gerbil

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:31 am

I got SilverStone L16M with Athlon X2 3800+ (65W or 45W not sure which one) on Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G motherboad and 1 GB Ram. Everything runs very cool and quiet enough. Because of big case I put got 4 hard drives in it with a space for 2 more. I recently bought BTC 9116 keyboard and I'm very happy with it works from very far more then 5 meters. I do recommend specially keyboard and a case. They both work great for me. Also Athlon 3800 doesn't have any problems running my soft.
AMD Ryzen 5 1600; 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2933MHz; MSI® X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, RADEON R9 380 8GB, WD Blue M.2 250GB SSD and Crucial MX300 1TB, WD Green WD40EZRX 4TB, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

lex-ington
Topic Author

Re: HTPC cases - update - now with pictures

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:53 pm

I was just strolling through the HTPC cases on newegg and came across this - The Silverstone Grandia. I like my current case, but the system resets everytime I plug in a USB drive in the front. There probably is a short somewhere, but I can't find it. I figure a better made case would be better for me in the long run.

I already have my eyes on the 780G board from gigabyte, and a phenom (if affordable enough). This case would be perfect I think. I really hope that the new Ubuntu build due in April fixes the HDMI sound issues (I think its an ALSA problem actually), then I can get rid of XP and use the OS I had intended.