Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:51 am

NeRve wrote:
After doing some reading I found the 2407fpw-HC REV A00 has a ton of problems (overdrive ghosting, colorshifting, etc...) I wonder if Dell has made any newer hardware revisions to correct them as they did with the non-HC models (A01, A02, A03, and A04)?

I haven't checked what rev I have. but I never had an issue with any of the above. Now while I am not a heavy gamer and don't look for the absolute best equipment for gaming. I do play UT, FarCry, Battlefield 2, at max res 4xx with high or very high detail.

I have not one complaint.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

gerbilspy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:33 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
I'll take my 2407 to the grave with me....well, maybe I'd give it to my sister. I've never seen a girl get so excited about computer tech before.

Talking about your sister that way on this website is tantamount to a sales pitch! :) There's a boatload of geeks around here who might get overly excited about a girl like that!
Not retired anymore

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:53 am

gerbilspy wrote:
Sargent Duck wrote:
I'll take my 2407 to the grave with me....well, maybe I'd give it to my sister. I've never seen a girl get so excited about computer tech before.

Talking about your sister that way on this website is tantamount to a sales pitch! :) There's a boatload of geeks around here who might get overly excited about a girl like that!

MIGHT?!?! More like they will.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

NeRve
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:43 am

Flying Fox wrote:
blitzy wrote:
I think that was a typo by FF, LCD = LED
Thanks. It was indeed a typo. :oops:

Voldenuit wrote:
Is there an advantage to using LED backlights aside from ahieving a slimmer profile? Which is why they're being used in laptops.

I could imagine how they can turn off LEDs selectively to improve dynamic contrast (I remember reading about 1 HDTV that does this), but I don't think any PC monitors have implemented this.

In theory, LEDs don't have flicker, but in practice, CCFLS used in monitors refresh at 180Hz which is undetectable to the human eye.
Apart from better contrast, power consumption is another factor which is more important on laptops. Every bit helps on the desktop too I guess.

This is where LEDs sort of confuse me - the 2407fpw-HC advertise 92% NTSC gamut coloring, but it doesn't have LED-backlighting. Does that mean those with LED backlight "guaranteed" 92% or high color gamut ratings?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:52 am

NeRve wrote:
This is where LEDs sort of confuse me - the 2407fpw-HC advertise 92% NTSC gamut coloring, but it doesn't have LED-backlighting. Does that mean those with LED backlight "guaranteed" 92% or high color gamut ratings?
Not really. Will have to check the specs and reviews on a review by review cases.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

NeRve
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:49 pm

I'm guessing the Golden Grail would be LED-backlighting AND 92% NTSC gamut-coloring... :lol:

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:52 pm

NeRve wrote:
I'm guessing the Golden Grail would be LED-backlighting AND 92% NTSC gamut-coloring... :lol:
There is no Holy Grail yet. I don't see LCD ever be in parity with CRTs. We need a new tech. It's like buying laptops, there will always be a compromise.

Or, a TR Editor's choice will be good enough may be. *wink*wink*
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

mjallan123
Gerbil First Class

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:04 pm

I have had about 4 2407wfps and 2 2407wfp-hcs trying to get one that doesn't have severe ghosting but eventually gave up.

There is this very weird green ghosting that you get when things are in motion, check for videos of it on YouTube.

I still have mine, but might sell it and get something else.
Core i5 2500k @ 4Ghz | MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III | 8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz | ASUS Z68 Pro | 1200W Thermaltake Toughpower | OCZ Lian Li V2010b | HP LP2475w

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:46 pm

mjallan123 wrote:
I have had about 4 2407wfps and 2 2407wfp-hcs trying to get one that doesn't have severe ghosting but eventually gave up.

There is this very weird green ghosting that you get when things are in motion, check for videos of it on YouTube.

I sometimes think this is a personal issue. Some peoples eyes see this and some don't.

I know at least 6 friends who are gamers and all of them have 2407. (one of the reasons I got one. I couldn't see a problem with any of them).

Plus as much as people claim CRT are superior, this may be true but LCDs are easier on my eyes. For years no matter what refresh rate I tried my CRT would strain my eyes after an extended period of time.

I can stare at a LCD for days and not have the same trouble. I think it is a case of no one tech is right for every person. Some won't like LCD, just as some of us prefer LCDs.

mjallan123
Gerbil First Class

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:51 pm

z-man wrote:
mjallan123 wrote:

I sometimes think this is a personal issue. Some peoples eyes see this and some don't.

I know at least 6 friends who are gamers and all of them have 2407. (one of the reasons I got one. I couldn't see a problem with any of them).

Plus as much as people claim CRT are superior, this may be true but LCDs are easier on my eyes. For years no matter what refresh rate I tried my CRT would strain my eyes after an extended period of time.

I can stare at a LCD for days and not have the same trouble. I think it is a case of no one tech is right for every person. Some won't like LCD, just as some of us prefer LCDs.

I definitely prefer LCDs, no question. But for some reason THIS lcd is giving me trouble. I have a 17" and 19" screen as well as a laptop and each of those never have any of the ghosting apparant with this monitor.
Core i5 2500k @ 4Ghz | MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III | 8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz | ASUS Z68 Pro | 1200W Thermaltake Toughpower | OCZ Lian Li V2010b | HP LP2475w

NeRve
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:17 pm

mjallan123 wrote:

That's a lot of 24-inchers :o

Voldenuit

Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:12 am

Flying Fox wrote:
blitzy wrote:
I think that was a typo by FF, LCD = LED
Thanks. It was indeed a typo. :oops:

Voldenuit wrote:
Is there an advantage to using LED backlights aside from ahieving a slimmer profile? Which is why they're being used in laptops.

I could imagine how they can turn off LEDs selectively to improve dynamic contrast (I remember reading about 1 HDTV that does this), but I don't think any PC monitors have implemented this.

In theory, LEDs don't have flicker, but in practice, CCFLS used in monitors refresh at 180Hz which is undetectable to the human eye.
Apart from better contrast, power consumption is another factor which is more important on laptops. Every bit helps on the desktop too I guess.

Update on LED backlit monitors. Looks like they're starting to trickle in to the market, and SPCR was quick enough on the nub to review the Samsung Syncmaster 20XL LED-backlit monitor.

Unfortunately, power efficiency is not one of its strong suits, as the monitor draws about twice as much energy as comparable CCFL-backlit monitors, so much so that it necessitated a cooling fan in the casing.

According to Samsung, this is because even though white LEDs are more efficient than CCFL for luminance, they do not provide a good colour gamut. In notebook computers, this is usually not a major criterion, so white LEDs allow for slimmer, lower power models. As the 20XL is targeted at professionals, it uses a 3-LED system to generate a "white" backlight instead of using just white LEDs, hence the added power consumption.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

mjallan123
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:00 am

£1000 for a 20"?!

No thanks.

FunkeeC
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:10 pm

On a personal note, my 2407FPW-HC finally shipped after being backordered for 5 weeks. By tuesday I should be in heaven.