Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Will the Pats go Undefeated?

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:19 pm

First, No.

common sense wrote:
Which team left on the schedule can beat the Patriots?

Sean Salisbury: The Steelers are best equipped to handle the Patriots defense because they can control the outside with receivers Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes, while also running clock with Willie Parker. In the end though this game is going to come down to how well Ben Roethilsberger is able to play in such a big game. He has played well this season, but if he could put together a phenomenal game then the members of the '72 Dolphins could be popping some champagne.

Eric Allen: The Steelers have the best shot of any of the teams left on the Patriots schedule. They have the offensive weapons necessary to put pressure on this defense. To defeat a team like the Patriots a team must have a quarterback who can make plays on the edge of the defense with his legs in addition to being able to make the big throw when given the chance. Also, the Steelers have Heath Miller who can control the middle of the field and push those Patriots linebackers around a bit. But the biggest asset is running back Willie Parker because while the Patriots' linebackers are some of the smartest in the NFL, they aren't nearly athletic enough to run with Parker. The Steelers would be able to put points on the board and control the clock a bit offensively with those components.

Defensively, the Steelers have an excellent front seven that should be able to cause some problems for Tom Brady and the offensive line. The Steelers aren't going to be able to completely stop this offense because it's simply too good, but they can force the Patriots to have to drive down the field and put together long drives and the Steelers have the ability to force Brady into some mistakes.

Suck it Pats fans, Yer goin' dahn.

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:27 pm

I would give it a 15/85 yes/no chance. I could see them losing one to either the steelers, ravens, or giants, but only one of those games. Even their worst games are really good.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:28 pm

As much as I want my Steelers to win that game, you still have to remember that we've lost to the Broncos, Cardinals, and the **** Jets. Those are three teams that should not have won by any stretch of the imagination. Not to mention, the Steelers vs. Patriots game is an away game for us, and all of our losses have been on the road.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

gerbilspy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Will the Pats go Undefeated?

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:32 pm

pete_roth wrote:
First, No.

common sense wrote:
Which team left on the schedule can beat the Patriots?

Sean Salisbury: The Steelers are best equipped to handle the Patriots defense because they can control the outside with receivers Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes, while also running clock with Willie Parker. In the end though this game is going to come down to how well Ben Roethilsberger is able to play in such a big game. He has played well this season, but if he could put together a phenomenal game then the members of the '72 Dolphins could be popping some champagne.

Eric Allen: The Steelers have the best shot of any of the teams left on the Patriots schedule. They have the offensive weapons necessary to put pressure on this defense. To defeat a team like the Patriots a team must have a quarterback who can make plays on the edge of the defense with his legs in addition to being able to make the big throw when given the chance. Also, the Steelers have Heath Miller who can control the middle of the field and push those Patriots linebackers around a bit. But the biggest asset is running back Willie Parker because while the Patriots' linebackers are some of the smartest in the NFL, they aren't nearly athletic enough to run with Parker. The Steelers would be able to put points on the board and control the clock a bit offensively with those components.

Defensively, the Steelers have an excellent front seven that should be able to cause some problems for Tom Brady and the offensive line. The Steelers aren't going to be able to completely stop this offense because it's simply too good, but they can force the Patriots to have to drive down the field and put together long drives and the Steelers have the ability to force Brady into some mistakes.

Suck it Pats fans, Yer goin' dahn.

I am NOT a Pat's fan, and I DO believe that the Steeler's have the best chance of beating them than any one else...BUT I believe they won't. The Pats have a huge axe to grind(trying to prove they can kick anyone's ass without cheating), and they are good enough to beat anyone with that added motivation. Maybe next year! :)

I can't even look forward to next year...I'm a RAMS fan! :oops: :(
Not retired anymore

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:33 pm

Usually I fear the Pats at NE, because playoff after playoff we lose to them at their house. It's going to be different, I can feel it.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:51 pm

They've already clenched their division. Don't most teams at that point start running out second-stringers, willing to risk a loss to keep starters healthy and rested for the playoffs? Is being the second team to go undefeated worth risking a shot at another ring?

If any team does defeat them, they'll always have the niggling suspicion it was only because the Patriots let them win.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:06 pm

Please! They lost to the Jets for goodness sake! Need I mention they also only managed 3 points against the Dolphins? I'm no Pats fan, but all I can say is that there's going to be an ass-whoopin' and it ain't going to be the Pats'.
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!

Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:12 pm

Normally, I'd say flat out NO, because any sensible team once they clinch first place will start resting their starters. The Patriots are not sensible by any means (as they have proven in nearly every fourth quarter when up by 50) and they're going to play to dominate every week. I think the Patriots are beatable by any team in the league, but it won't be easy. The Steelers are the best bet, but if the Eagles could almost do it, there should be plenty of teams that CAN do it.

Best case scenario, they go undefeated in the regular season and lose their first playoff game, surely because of the damn refs! :lol:

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:18 pm

flybywire wrote:
Need I mention they also only managed 3 points against the Dolphins?
Did you even watch that game? You try playing in a torrential downpour and then tell me how easy it is to score against anybody.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:22 pm

Dizik wrote:
flybywire wrote:
Need I mention they also only managed 3 points against the Dolphins?
Did you even watch that game? You try playing in a torrential downpour and then tell me how easy it is to score against anybody.

Sure did, and it was one messy game. The field was mud pie but I don't recall it being a 'torrential downpour' during the game. Granted, I don't think Miami is as bad as the Jets but I know the Steelers was capable of so much more.
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:39 pm

Don't forget about the Giants. They can get to Brady with their D line, which is the only way to stop NE's offense. Plus it is the last game of the year, and I have to believe even the crazy Patriots will not risk all of their starters right before the playoffs.

Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:49 pm

jobodaho wrote:
Don't forget about the Giants. They can get to Brady with their D line, which is the only way to stop NE's offense. Plus it is the last game of the year, and I have to believe even the crazy Patriots will not risk all of their starters right before the playoffs.

The thing about that game, the Giants might need it to get a playoff spot, they're going to be playing hard, at home. If the Pats are still undefeated, they are going to play as hard as ever. If they're not and they have first place wrapped up, Cassel FTL.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:55 pm

The Steelers did well against top teams like Arizona, Miami and the NY Jets. :lol:

At least Pitt will have homefield advan.... oh wait. :wink:
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:31 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
The Steelers did well against top teams like Arizona, Miami and the NY Jets. :lol:

Apparently you don't read previous posts before contributing to a thread. ;)

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:18 pm

Dizik wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:

Apparently you don't read previous posts before contributing to a thread. ;)

I did, they left out losing to Arizona (who suck) and the lack of homefield advantage. Where NE is damn near invincible.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Will the Pats go Undefeated?

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:40 pm

gerbilspy wrote:
I can't even look forward to next year...I'm a RAMS fan! :oops: :(

There's no such thing! That's why all the home games are blacked out - nobody goes. :lol:

Pats undefeated? Maybe. They're not going to lose to Baltimore, I know that much, and I think it's safe to say they won't lose to either NY team or whoever's left that's not Pitt (Miami again? I think?). They may lose to the Stillers. The have a very good chance of going 16-0, they have a fantastic chance of going 15-1.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:46 pm

Me being a contrarian, I believe that if they do lose it'll be to a team that no one expects (i.e. the Jets or the Dolphins).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Kevin
Administrator

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:53 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Me being a contrarian, I believe that if they do lose it'll be to a team that no one expects (i.e. the Jets or the Dolphins).

14-0 Pats vs. 0-14 Dolphins would be pretty awesome. Anyone remember their game a few years back when A.J. Feeley lit up the Pats for a win that no one expected?

The Steelers could beat the Pats, if they were playing in that mud hole of a stadium Heinz Field... :lol:
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:02 pm

Kevin wrote:
if they were playing in that mud hole of a stadium Heinz Field... :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZmeyH95CMY

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:09 pm

They might not win the game, but Baltimore is a damn 21 point home dog??

/me goes and calls his "guy."
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:14 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
Kevin wrote:
if they were playing in that mud hole of a stadium Heinz Field... :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZmeyH95CMY

That was the 1st time I'd seen that play. Damn.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:44 pm

idchafee wrote:

I thought you had to give that up to get that motorcycle :wink:

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:48 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
idchafee wrote:

I thought you had to give that up to get that motorcycle :wink:
Maybe he has to hit it big to get the one he really wants?

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:47 pm

Baltimore for the upset win :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:21 pm

It looks like only the Giants can stop them now.

So, yeah the Pats look to go undefeated.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:30 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
It looks like only the Giants can stop them now.

So, yeah the Pats look to go undefeated.

The Giants have a pass rush that might get to Brady. But so did Pittsburgh and it didn't work out so well....

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:44 pm

Best Guarantee Evar.

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:46 am

While I was very happy to see the Dolphins beat the Ravens today, I was actually hoping they would wait until the next game and beat the Pats instead so that both perfect seasons would be ruined on the same day. But such is life, I am genuinely glad to see Miami get a win this season finally and that they broke that long losing streak.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:14 am

Well the Giants looked like crap and Shockey broke his leg, so the Pats should coast into the playoffs undefeated.

How did Pitt do this weekend? :wink:

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:30 pm

PetMiceRnice wrote:
While I was very happy to see the Dolphins beat the Ravens today, I was actually hoping they would wait until the next game and beat the Pats instead so that both perfect seasons would be ruined on the same day. But such is life, I am genuinely glad to see Miami get a win this season finally and that they broke that long losing streak.
I'm not. I was hoping they'd accomplish something unprecedented, historic, memorable. Instead they're just another pathetically bad team.