Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Justice
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

A/V Hardware Question

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:17 pm

Ok, so I've got an older HDTV. It's a 4.5 year old Mitsubishi 65". It only does 480i, 480p, and 1080i. I did buy the model with the integrated OTA DTV tuner, so it's not all bad. There are 3 component inputs but only one input can handle the 1080i res, the other two go up 480p. No HDMI connectors. And a VGA connector, not even a DVI.

So here's my problem, I've been using my cable company's HD DVR box on the 1080i input, but now I've gotten for my kids an XBox360 Elite and I want to use it on the 1080i connection as well. What kind of receiver do I need to get to switch between the cable box and the XB360? Even though I currently don't have a sound system of any kind, but I do plan on adding something later, so I would like a receiver with some expansion ability.

So what do I need? Low cost is preferred, but I'm not talking rock bottom cheap either. Just something that isn't going to break the bank if you know what I mean.
|FN|Steel wrote:
Millions of sheep doesn't make [Censored] right.

Justice
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:52 pm

Anyone?
|FN|Steel wrote:

cass
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:32 pm

Hey, I havent tried but maybe you can find something here.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/custom/receiver/

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:08 am

Can't you plug the xbox in using the VGA? I know that PerfectCr did that before he got the Elite.

Justice
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:29 am

The VGA port only supports up to 640x480. :(

Not a big deal for the moment.. I don't really get *that* many HD channels, but I can still get signals of at least DVD quality with 480p. I'll move the cable box to the 480p input, and the XB360 will get the 1080i input.

I'm just going to have to save up for a new 65" HDTV with more high end inputs. I saw one down at Costco today for $1800. I could even sell my exsisting tv for around $800 to eat up some of the cost.
|FN|Steel wrote:

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:20 pm

Take a look at the current Yamaha recievers. If you only need switchning and not conversion the middle ones should do fine. Not to mention they are pretty good value sound-vice if you plan to add a sound system.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:46 pm

If you're trying to save money and you don't need a reciever right away, aren't there simple input switchers that do that?

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:52 pm

I got my receiver, a Sony STR-DG500 off craigslist for ~$80. It has component switching and should probably do the trick. I'd recommend looking on there to see if you see anything.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:08 pm

You could try one of these HDMI switchers.
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!

Justice
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:21 pm

flybywire wrote:

Just one problem with that.

Justice wrote:
Ok, so I've got an older HDTV. It's a 4.5 year old Mitsubishi 65". It only does 480i, 480p, and 1080i. I did buy the model with the integrated OTA DTV tuner, so it's not all bad. There are 3 component inputs but only one input can handle the 1080i res, the other two go up 480p. No HDMI connectors. And a VGA connector, not even a DVI.
|FN|Steel wrote:

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:23 pm

Can you put a switch in there that'll let you switch between the DVR and the Xbox 360? Or, heck, why not just unplug it when you need to use it. It's like 3 cables, ffs.

Justice
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:28 pm

Nitrodist wrote:
Can you put a switch in there that'll let you switch between the DVR and the Xbox 360? Or, heck, why not just unplug it when you need to use it. It's like 3 cables, ffs.

Well, if I'm going to be adding a device to make the switching, I was planning on being a little future proof so when I get a decent sound system, I wouldn't have to do this yet again. A receiver was my thought.

Switching cables is a pain in the ass since my HDTV is large and up against a wall between entertainment cabinets. Rolling the TV out to swap cables on a daily basis isn't a good solution.
|FN|Steel wrote:

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:42 pm

Oh, I was hoping you had an access panel on the front or the side. Oh well.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:55 pm

Justice wrote:
flybywire wrote:

Justice wrote:

Oops.. I should work on my reading comprehension. :oops:
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!

Justice
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:16 pm

Nitrodist wrote:
Oh, I was hoping you had an access panel on the front or the side. Oh well.

Only Composite, No Component. :( (on the front, that is)
Last edited by Justice on Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|FN|Steel wrote:

Justice
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:20 pm

flybywire wrote:
Justice wrote:
flybywire wrote:

Justice wrote:

Oops.. I should work on my reading comprehension. :oops:

No biggie, but thanks for trying though! I looked at that Sony reciever, and the only problem I'm seeing is that's it's only got 2 Component inputs. I really would like 3 or more that can do 1080i. But I did find them NIB on ebay for $169, so I may "suffer" with only 2 inputs.

And thank you to everyone who is offering suggestions. It's helps me look in the right direction!
|FN|Steel wrote:

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:45 pm

Maybe look at other companies? I'm pretty sure that Onkyo or Denon or Yamaha has some that might be affordable on the used market.

Justice
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:14 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Maybe look at other companies? I'm pretty sure that Onkyo or Denon or Yamaha has some that might be affordable on the used market.

As I get time this weekend I will, as I will also stop in a few stores and take a look at what's offered. I have until Christmas to actually *need* a solution, so I've got time.
|FN|Steel wrote:

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:17 pm

http://www.shoponkyo.com

They usually have some great deals on refurbished receivers. I've bought two and they've been perfect.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:32 pm

Justice wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

As I get time this weekend I will, as I will also stop in a few stores and take a look at what's offered. I have until Christmas to actually *need* a solution, so I've got time.

You really want to buy used. You can't barely get a stereo receiver for $120 in B&M stores, much less one that has video processing.

Justice
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:51 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Justice wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

You really want to buy used. You can't barely get a stereo receiver for $120 in B&M stores, much less one that has video processing.

True, but in a B&M store I can see for myself what exactly I"m getting.

Of course, that led to todays incident that had me walk out of BB pissed off. I really, REALLY hate salesmen who know nothing about the products, and/or don't even listen to my needs.

I tell them, I have an OLD HDTV. it has 3 component inputs. 2 of them only do 480i/480p. The last input does 480i/480p/1080i. No 720p, no 1080p, no HDMI. I have two devices that output 1080i (not 1080p!) So this guys tells me I need an Upconverting/scaling receiver! I swear I wanted to punch him in the face for not even trying to comprehend my situation.
|FN|Steel wrote:

Justice
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:54 pm

Oh, that brings me to another question. They had some receivers that had HDMI inputs. Could I hook up my devices (XB360, HD-DVR) via the HDMI inputs, but have the receiver display the picture on the component outputs?
|FN|Steel wrote:

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:56 pm

Justice wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Justice wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

True, but in a B&M store I can see for myself what exactly I"m getting.

Of course, that led to todays incident that had me walk out of BB pissed off. I really, REALLY hate salesmen who know nothing about the products, and/or don't even listen to my needs.

I tell them, I have an OLD HDTV. it has 3 component inputs. 2 of them only do 480i/480p. The last input does 480i/480p/1080i. No 720p, no 1080p, no HDMI. I have two devices that output 1080i (not 1080p!) So this guys tells me I need an Upconverting/scaling receiver! I swear I wanted to punch him in the face for not even trying to comprehend my situation.

Oh I hate that. Those BB salesmen can usually tell by the look I give them that I DO NOT want to talk to them, but if they actually approach me they know FOR SURE that I don't. How can you take a job and not care enough to even TRY to learn about the stuff you're selling? Idiots!

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:01 pm

Justice wrote:
Oh, that brings me to another question. They had some receivers that had HDMI inputs. Could I hook up my devices (XB360, HD-DVR) via the HDMI inputs, but have the receiver display the picture on the component outputs?

I thought that was what you were trying to accomplish in the first place. If a receiver has HDMI inputs, that probably means that it does HDMI switching. But I think it is a very specific function for it to switch from HDMI in to Component out. I don't know of any specific receiver that does that, but I'm sure they're out there.

cass
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:09 pm

Justice, I thought about this some more and will have to do some research, but I don't think any hardware is going to work if the originating device is hdmi+hdcp, and likely it is a requirement of all recievers that do hdmi switching that they shut off the analog outputs entirely when an hdmi plug is used.

I think it is a requirement for any device to have hdmi/dvi + hdcp that it shutoff all analog paths once the originating device enables hdcp.

I think your are toast with your old tv as far as wanting to watch any HD content... my hd dvr automatically reverts to non hd when I record anything. Of course I have not idea how its supposed to work, but I know any hd show I try to record, it records in SD. FWIW its a TW cable service and unit.

http://www.hometheaterblog.com/homethea ... input.html

Justice
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:17 pm

I figured the answer would be no to the HDMI -> Component output. I just thought I'd ask. But 1080i component switching is all I'm really wanting.
|FN|Steel wrote:

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:17 pm

The short answer: Take a look at the above mentioned recievers and youll see that most of them do a pure switching within analog sources and within HDMI althought not between them.

The long answer: As long as you are only switching theres definitely no reason to shutdown the analog outouts if you use HDMI. You can switch from analog to digital without having a videoprocessor in the loop anyway so its pretty much a moot point.

And as for the normal recivers, that is, up to around $1000 or so, they only do switching for everything, and usually not between analog and hdmi unless you go higher and get one with a video processor. Most also do some form av basic conversion between different analog sources. While the better ones do a greater range of conversion even up to HDMI. And for the best ones, they do upscaling and deinterlacing and such tricks. But if they can do HDMI, they only do upconversion and deinterlacing and output TO HDMI, not from. Kindof the point of a standard like HDMI that it shouldnt be to easy to get a signal from unless its meant to.

The most advanced of the "normal" processors kan scale to and from a variety of different formats, even to 1080p without any trouble, but it can still only convert to HDMI not from. Its the Yamaha DSP-Z11. The bad side is that it costs $5000. Here is a few images of what it can scale and whatnot.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:00 am

Justice, you don't need a receiver, you need a component video switcher. Much cheaper than a receiver. There are others in the same price range; just do a froogle search.