Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:33 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
The mere existence of the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl...
How long until we see the Doctor Phil McKracken Rectal Exam Bung Bowl?
There are 119 division I-A teams. With 32 bowl games, 64 teams (54%) are going to a bowl.
http://web1.ncaa.org/onlineDir/exec/spo ... &sport=MFB

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:43 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
The mere existence of the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl...
How long until we see the Doctor Phil McKracken Rectal Exam Bung Bowl?
There are 119 division I-A teams. With 32 bowl games, 64 teams (54%) are going to a bowl.
http://web1.ncaa.org/onlineDir/exec/spo ... &sport=MFB

OK, so how long before the number nears 100%?

I think our tax dollars need to stop subsidizing these schools.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:34 am

I hope Michigan knows it's going to be rocked. We're not App state ;-)

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:48 am

What a screwed up season and subsequently bowl season.Maybe the catalyst for a playoff has arrived.Kansas ought to blown out the water.by VT.Hawaii and Georgia looks to be interesting to me,no one gave WVU much a chance against Georgia a couple years ago,maybe Hawaii can be do the same thing.Illinois in the Rose Bowl is a sham,unless your a purist.I hope LSU destroys OSU ,but I doubt it.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

fent
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:25 am

I know its hard to stay up to watch Hawaii, but its obvious most people haven't with they way they are bad mouthing them. Although their D is pretty horrible Colt Brennan will put up points against ANY big conference team. You dont throw over a 70% completion rate while at the same time having a pass/throw ratio of over 4:1 without being ridiculously accurate.

Anyways, at the very least this game will be one of the more interesting and exciting BCS games.

Even more exciting will be when Illinois shows that the Pac-10(mainly USC) isnt nearly as strong as everyone on TV seems to want me to think...
Awesometown.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:46 am

fent wrote:
I know its hard to stay up to watch Hawaii, but its obvious most people haven't with they way they are bad mouthing them. Although their D is pretty horrible Colt Brennan will put up points against ANY big conference team. You dont throw over a 70% completion rate while at the same time having a pass/throw ratio of over 4:1 without being ridiculously accurate.

you also cant throw that good when you have someone in your face or knocking you on your ass. if hawaii played people with a good defense then those numbers wouldnt be the same.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:21 am

idchafee wrote:
danny e. wrote:
idchafee wrote:
danny e. wrote:
I think the worst of the lot will be the Hawaii vs Georgia game.. in which Hawaii will likely get trounced.

I'll bet you that Hawaii gets closer to Georgia than Illinois does to USC.

i'll take that bet.

OK, so what are we betting? Money? Bragging rights? Hardware? :lol:

hmm will have to think about it. bragging rights at minimum.
i probably wouldnt wager too much on Georgia because I've yet to see them play.. :-? but judging by scores.. :)

Kevin
Administrator

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:10 am

In defense of Hawaii, they aren't the only ones that determine their schedule. They have to find teams willing to fly out to Hawaii to play them. And that's much harder than it sounds. When I was going to school out in Hawaii there was much talk about Hawaii getting kicked out of its conference because the other teams didn't like going to Hawaii to play.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:31 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

That's for sure. Florida is 9-3 while Appalachian State is 11-2 :wink:

Kevin wrote:
In defense of Hawaii, they aren't the only ones that determine their schedule. They have to find teams willing to fly out to Hawaii to play them. And that's much harder than it sounds. When I was going to school out in Hawaii there was much talk about Hawaii getting kicked out of its conference because the other teams didn't like going to Hawaii to play.

Yeah I was in Hawaii recently. Took as long to fly from Detroit to L.A. as it took to fly from L.A. to Hawaii.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:57 pm

Kevin wrote:

We're playing them next year at the beginning of the season. We'll see how much they like SEC teams after UGA and us :wink:
PRIME1 wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

In A-II...
Did they win their playoffs?

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:04 pm

I got my bowl confidence pool sheets. Wow. I have no idea who is going to win the vast majority of these games.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:13 pm

idchafee wrote:
I got my bowl confidence pool sheets. Wow. I have no idea who is going to win the vast majority of these games.

Probably your Bookie. :wink:

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:19 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Kevin wrote:

We're playing them next year at the beginning of the season. We'll see how much they like SEC teams after UGA and us :wink:
PRIME1 wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

In A-II...
Did they win their playoffs?

So far,yes.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:57 am

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootba ... y/10518123

So, the Rutgers job > the Michigan job.

Wow

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:33 pm

idchafee wrote:
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10518123

So, the Rutgers job > the Michigan job.

Wow

I imagine there is going to need to be some rebuilding at Michigan. So whoever comes in will have to take some slings an arrows for "only" having a 7-5 or 8-4 season.

While many nubs think that a new coach = BCS Bowl.

Notre Dame as an example.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:46 pm

Michigan is going to get creamed.

Only 1 more day 'til the Heismans. Woohoo. Tebow's already won 2 awards, we're ready for the big one.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:52 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

whoops

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:25 pm

danny e. wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

whoops

:lol:

Thebolt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:26 pm

Yeah that was a great game, michigan outplayed florida though. -4 turnover margin throughout most of the game(not sure if that changed at the end I don't remember) and they were still where they needed to be.

I think the SEC fans have gotten a bit too swept up in the moment and are overconfident. We'll find out on monday though :wink:

Wisconsin played a close game against Tennessee score wise, I didn't watch it so I can't say I know the general feel of the game.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:45 pm

I said USC would beat Illinois 52-10.

I was wrong.

Its 49-10. My bad.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:55 pm

idchafee wrote:

I was wrong.

Its 49-10. My bad.

should have been 42-24 if it hadnt been for the terrible fumble into the endzone by ILL. actually.. if it hadnt been for that play, things might have ended up even more different.

i expected this one to be around 35-20

so.. I was quite far off.. and I expect i lost the bet already, as I dont expect Georgia can put up those kinds of points.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:02 pm

danny e. wrote:
should have been 42-24 if it hadnt been for the terrible fumble into the endzone by ILL. actually.. if it hadnt been for that play, things might have ended up even more different.
That ball was stripped; all their fumbles were. USC was running third string guys in on that last drive and even so Carroll decided to pull the plug rather than run in one more. Without that mercy, it would've been 56-10.
so.. I was quite far off.. and I expect i lost the bet already, as I dont expect Georgia can put up those kinds of points.
Well, they may not have to. Washington gave HI more than they could handle for over half a game, and they were the bottom of the Pac10 with nothing to play for.

ifittakesforever
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:06 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

How'd that work out for ya? Talk about a game where I wanted both teams to lose! At least now all the unbearable Gator fans around here won't be nearly as obnoxious.
Hey, anyone can have a bad century! 1907 & 1908 World Champions.
AC 00 00 00 - BELIEVE
My two favorite football teams: Ohio State and whoever plays Michigan!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:14 pm

there's only two that I know of, and only one of them is actively posting...the other forgot who his friends were after he got married. :sniff:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:01 am

danny e. wrote:
hahaha

i just noticed the prediction for Georgia vs Hawaii. now that would be a good game!! 45 - 10

final score: 41 -10, so I wasnt that far off...

idchafee wrote:

I was wrong.

Its 49-10. My bad.

final score: 49-17 ..

danny e. wrote:
idchafee wrote:
danny e. wrote:
I think the worst of the lot will be the Hawaii vs Georgia game.. in which Hawaii will likely get trounced.

I'll bet you that Hawaii gets closer to Georgia than Illinois does to USC.

i'll take that bet.

so you won our bet by 1 point. ...
32 points to 31 points.. ouch. :cry:

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:16 am

danny e. wrote:
fent wrote:

you also cant throw that good when you have someone in your face or knocking you on your ass. if hawaii played people with a good defense then those numbers wouldnt be the same.

amen. the game proved me right.

ifittakesforever
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:22 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
there's only two that I know of, and only one of them is actively posting...the other forgot who his friends were after he got married. :sniff:

Actually, I meant here as in the Tampa Bay area where I live. You'd think we lived in Gainesville or something with as bad as it gets.
Hey, anyone can have a bad century! 1907 & 1908 World Champions.

AC 00 00 00 - BELIEVE

My two favorite football teams: Ohio State and whoever plays Michigan!

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:40 am

Not that I'm a Michigan fan,but it was nice seeing them put the screws to Tebow and company.Whoever came up with the USC vs Illinois game should be shot,surely they could have come up with a better game than that?Hawaii found out playing with the big boys isnt all that much fun.

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:18 am

I just want to note here that unlike ridiculous Gator fans, I'm going to gloat this one time for the year, and that'll be it:

Florida got manhandled by Michigan. That game wasn't nearly as close as the score was. If Mike Hart hadn't fumbled twice literally on the goal line (he had 3 fumbles previously in his entire career) then the score would have been 42-14 at one point and the game would have been basically over.

That being said, I am sad that Hawaii wasn't more competitive. I think a lot of people (including some here) really talk some junk about Hawaii. I was rooting for them. After learning some of the things they have to work against, I think everyone should pull for them to succeed. For instance, Hawaii's entire recruiting budget is 50,000$. Their yearly operating revenue is 7 million. Georgia's yearly PROFIT is 45 million. Just a few things that put things into perspective.

Even though Hawaii got destroyed by Georgia, I'm happy for them because they'll get a couple mil in profits after all the bowl game related expenses, and that'll be a big boost for their school and their program. I hope we get to see more of them, and I hope they start being considered more often by highly ranked prospects, so we can see Hawaii become a real player in the upper ranks of college football :)

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:10 pm

ifittakesforever wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Actually, I meant here as in the Tampa Bay area where I live. You'd think we lived in Gainesville or something with as bad as it gets.
I bet they were Miami fans back in the day, and they'll be something else (Georgia?) soon enough. Just like all the obnoxious Red Sox fans that suddenly appeared with suspiciously new gear; I'm pretty sure they have Yankees caps in their closets dating back to the late 90s.