Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

prashu
Gerbil
Topic Author

Redhat installation ISO

Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:10 pm

hello

I've purchased Redhat 5 Enterprise edition (5 CDs) I got fed up inserting individual CDs during installation everytime. So, I extracted the contents of all the CDs to a folder, extracted the boot image of the first CD using MagicIso and created an ISO (using the files that I've previously extrated) with MagicIso. I tested the new image and installation started fine. But suddenly during the rpm installation, it prompted me to insert the second disk. I just pressed "Enter" and it splashed a message saying that it's not the correct CD rom.The iso I created contains all the files from all the CDs in the correct directory structure.But, how can I make it work??

I mean, how can I disable/overcome that checking that it does during the installation. Also how to create a checksum file??

any comments/suggestions??

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:46 am

I suspect that somewhere in the directory structure is a file that contains "Disk1" etc and so when you extracted them all in to the same directory it overwrote that file with the last one. I don't have any idea on how to fix it as I'm on the Debian/Ubuntu side of things.

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:24 pm

A RedHat employee (Chris Kloiber) made a script that would create a merged install DVD from the separate RHEL CDs. Obviously you need a linux system, mkisofs, and a tool called implantisomd5 (it's part of the tools suite related to Red Hat's installer, anaconda). Here's a copy of mkdvdiso.sh mirrored by CentOS.