Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Nutmeg
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Widescreens and websites

Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:41 pm

So, I got a new HP w2207h widescreen for Xmas. It's pretty good, but one thing that's annoying me is, a lot of websites are totally unoptimised for it. For example Youtube barely uses half the screen area. Same for blogspot, a lot of forums, and even the TR frontpage.
Is there any fix for this, or do we have to wait until sites go up in higher res?
I'm running at the native of 1680x1050.

(I have to say, it's a fairly good problem to be having as they go, too high resolution.) :D

Justice
Gerbil Elite

Re: Widescreens and websites

Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:48 pm

Nutmeg wrote:
So, I got a new HP w2207h widescreen for Xmas. It's pretty good, but one thing that's annoying me is, a lot of websites are totally unoptimised for it. For example Youtube barely uses half the screen area. Same for blogspot, a lot of forums, and even the TR frontpage.
Is there any fix for this, or do we have to wait until sites go up in higher res?

(I have to say, it's a fairly good problem to be having as they go, too high resolution.) :D

It all depends on how the website is coded. Some pages look great, others break. All I can say is live with it. (I am. I run at 1680x1050 as well)
|FN|Steel wrote:
Millions of sheep doesn't make [Censored] right.

aristheo
Gerbil First Class

Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:05 pm

In the top right corner of the TR website, there's an icon that looks like a double ended arrow (i.e., <-->). This enables TR to use a wider margin. Works pretty well for me.

FunkeeC
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:21 pm

I just recently am enjoying the goodness that is a dell 2407 and all the 24 inch widescreen goodness. I have started just browsing in a window to account for the websites that leave or dont need a full window. allows me to have other things i can keep an eye on.

Nutmeg
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:23 pm

aristheo wrote:
In the top right corner of the TR website, there's an icon that looks like a double ended arrow (i.e., <-->). This enables TR to use a wider margin. Works pretty well for me.

Oh, I missed that, cheers. Still a few inches spare though..

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:25 pm

Nutmeg wrote:

Size the browser window so that there isn't any wasted space and used the remaining area for other windows. At least, thats how I do it.

Nutmeg
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:36 pm

I suppose. I'm used to alt-tabbing though. Meh.

Snake
Gerbil Elite
Location: Somewhere...(if you say "over the rainbow", I'll kill ya!)

Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:56 pm

Justice wrote:
Nutmeg wrote:

It all depends on how the website is coded. Some pages look great, others break. All I can say is live with it. (I am. I run at 1680x1050 as well)

Yeah, and since there is only 2 "standard" HTML width factors - % of screen and fixed - and good design dictates 80% or less maximum width of screen...

And if you set percentage, you can't guarantee objects fitting in a windowed browser if the user is using something around XVGA.

Web design is a royal pain. It's never happy! >:-/

Saribro
Gerbil

Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:24 pm

lordtottuu wrote:
Size the browser window so that there isn't any wasted space and used the remaining area for other windows. At least, thats how I do it.

Yeah, me too. Changed the way I work pretty decisively actually, a lot less that really interferes anymore. The occasional site does tend to get a maximise-click, but that's about it.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:32 pm

In my opinion, wide screen monitors are to help the user be more productive. So, you can have more windows open at once instead of having to Alt-Tab. My point here is that you should have more than one window open and visible. Especially when you have a larger monitor. Who wants to twist their neck looking back and forth on a 30" screen to read a sentence? You could maybe have your favorite IM open on one side or the other so you can see who's online in a glance while browsing around. That kind of thing. I don't have a wide screen monitor myself, yet. But, that's how I would use it.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:46 pm

yep, I keep things about as wide as TR's wide mode. I see a lot of idiots at school with maximized facebook windows on 30" dell widescreens. Those resolutions are not designed for one web page at a time. Large spreadsheets are sweet, large solidworks/proE windows are nice, but most of the time it's more useful to have side by side windows.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:29 pm

lordtottuu wrote:
+1 that's where my TV tuner window goes. :wink:
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:35 pm

Saribro wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:

Yeah, me too. Changed the way I work pretty decisively actually, a lot less that really interferes anymore. The occasional site does tend to get a maximise-click, but that's about it.

Yeah, same here. I got used to it when I got a Mac, and it's really the most effective way to work on any OS - that way you can use the screen most effectively.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

l33t-g4m3r
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:21 am

TR used to be beautiful in Hi-resolutions and widescreens, then the marketers took over.
It's the new tom's.
Pro Intel and nVidia too.

aristheo
Gerbil First Class

Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:41 am

TR still looks fine. Just go straight to the news page: http://www.techreport.com/news.x.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:42 am

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
+1 that's where my TV tuner window goes.
I have either my Dreamweaver or a VS window open in the other half. The only time I use the entire workspace is when I am using Photoshop or 3dsmax. This is, of course, excluding watching movies. :wink:

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
TR used to be beautiful in Hi-resolutions and widescreens, then the marketers took over.
It's the new tom's.
Pro Intel and nVidia too.
Note to other people here: Do NOT feed the troll.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:08 am

No comment.