Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

VaTech Hokie
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

HDMI Inputs not working on Westinghouse TV

Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:45 pm

Well today I go to watch a movie on my 360s hddvd drive, and low and behold my tv says no signal. I tried the component out into the tv, 360 and drive appear to be fine. Every other input works fine on the tv. I have tried all 4 hdmi inputs, nothing. Could the cable be broken? Nothing has been moved and it was just working. Although I did just upgrade to hd tv, all of thos einputs are on the other side of the tv, so I do not see how that would affect anything. And no I do not have any other hdmi devices to see if its the ports on the tv.

I just want to say, BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Ok now that that is out, plz help.
Always Proud to be Hokie

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:49 pm

HDCP?

VaTech Hokie
Topic Author

Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:53 pm

would that matter if I was just turning on the 360 and there was nothing in it? I hear the beeping noise (I have separate receiver) that accompanies yes you have hdcp found.
Always Proud to be Hokie

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:18 am

I bet the X-box is the problem, not the TV. Just a hunch.

VaTech Hokie
Topic Author

Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:34 am

Clearly it is the xbox360 not premium, as it is the only one with hdmi. I am using the cable that came with it. Its a 42 westy not sure the model number but I will find it.

I have a hunch that it is the 360 as well, the tv can detect when the cord is or isn't unplugged. But why the hell does the component out work perfectly ok.
Always Proud to be Hokie

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:56 am

Do you have access to another TV you could test the 360's HDMI with, you could also use a PC monitor if you have an HDMI->DVI adapter.
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.

AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS

VaTech Hokie
Topic Author

Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:03 pm

Nothing has changed, I even reset the tv to no avail. I will check my 360 on the new gfs hdtv this week.
Always Proud to be Hokie

VaTech Hokie
Topic Author

Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:27 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
VaTech Hokie wrote:
Nothing has changed, I even reset the tv to no avail. I will check my 360 on the new gfs hdtv this week.

TV model number? 720p? 1080i? Might be a good idea to check! :|

1080p, it was working just fine with the hdmi for 1 month now, full 1080p with hddvd. TX-42F430S
Always Proud to be Hokie

VaTech Hokie
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:05 pm

Thanks for the help PerfectCr but it magically started working again! Go Microsoft...it is so similar to its software cousin isn't it. But I still heart it so :D
Always Proud to be Hokie

VaTech Hokie
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:49 pm

Ya perfect timing too because my gf was on her way over when it started working. 8) HD DVD movies are sweet!
Always Proud to be Hokie

FinalAeon
Gerbil In Training

Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:58 pm

I have the same TV as the thread starter, and am now having the same exact problem. However I've isolated the problem to not be the xbox 360 (elite).

I have my TV (same 42 in. westy) in the family room with a DVI->HDMI cable (HDMI Input 1 on the TV) running from my PC in my room to the tv. I also have the xbox 360 (elite) hooked up to the tv right next to the tv of course (HDMI Input 2).

Both were working interchangeably for about a month as well, but as of yesterday they BOTH have stopped working. My PC detects when the TV is connected and not connected, and so does the TV (it auto detects the the right input number when i clone the pc to it, but it never "detects" the signal). Same with the xbox, when i turn the xbox on, the tv auto flips to HDMI input 2, tries to detect, but says no input found.

Hopefully mine will start magically working again, but if not can anyone please continue in isolating the problem here?

Thanks a bunch!

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:15 pm

Others have reported that problem (if you wade through that [101-page!] link PerfectCr provided). I don't think there's a known solution, alas. Though inviting your girlfriend over seems to help.

FinalAeon
Gerbil In Training

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:15 am

Okay so I'm still having the problem and it doesn't look like it's coming back. I bought this TV from Best Buy about 2 months ago. Does anyone know the return policy on an object of this expense? Best Buy's website says up to 30 days for a refund, but I remember them saying that if the TV went bad, since it's obsolete now, that they would replace it with a TV of equal or greater value. I didn't get any extended warranties or anything, I just paid for the TV+tax and was out. If I'm SOL with Best Buy, what should I do? I have a 1-year manufacturer's warrant but how does that work usually and how much will it probably set me back?

Thanks for the help.

VaTech Hokie
Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:43 pm

FinalAeon wrote:
Okay so I'm still having the problem and it doesn't look like it's coming back. I bought this TV from Best Buy about 2 months ago. Does anyone know the return policy on an object of this expense? Best Buy's website says up to 30 days for a refund, but I remember them saying that if the TV went bad, since it's obsolete now, that they would replace it with a TV of equal or greater value. I didn't get any extended warranties or anything, I just paid for the TV+tax and was out. If I'm SOL with Best Buy, what should I do? I have a 1-year manufacturer's warrant but how does that work usually and how much will it probably set me back?

Thanks for the help.

Heh that is why I talked BB into giving me the lifetime shovel crap in it warranty for free!

Now this will sound funny but it may work. Unplug all of the electronic devices for an hour...tv and 360. Plug them back in and try it.
Always Proud to be Hokie

MethylONE
Gerbil XP

Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:49 pm

I have the Westy 37w3, the 1080p monitor. I use HDMI input from my HD Sat box.

Sometimes I lose my HDMI. I can always fix it by repeatedly hitting the HDMI input button on the remote.

Just thought I'd throw that out there....
License to kill gophers.

bojack13
Gerbil In Training

Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:20 pm

Same thing just happened to me with a 42" Westinghouse hdtv. HDMI and Xbox 360 worked fine one day, then no signal the next. Everything else worked and I tried different HDMI ports but couldn't get it working again. Tried repeatedly pressing the HDMI input button on the remote as someone suggested but that didn't work.

Finally, I unplugged everything from the tv for one hour. This includes the component, composite, and audio cables I was using for other devices as well as the power cord from the tv. This worked, and the HDMI input works fine once again.

mikecarlstrom
Gerbil In Training

Solution: Straight from the Best Buy Warranty Repair Man

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:22 pm

I had this exact problem. My 42" Westinghouse would intermittently lose connection to my HDMI sources, and then magically connect again a week later.

So, after reading this forum, I decided that it must be something to do with the TV since everyone else was having the same problem. I placed a call to Best Buy (since the TV was under warranty), and had one of their service repair associates come out and inspect what was going on.

He was able to fix it quickly and easily by doing the following.

1.) Unplug all HDMI sources from your TV (HDMI 1,2,3,4)
2.) Unlug your TV's power from the wall (or from the back of the TV)
3.) Wait 30 seconds
4.) Plug all your HDMI sources back into the appropriate slots
5.) Plug your TV back into the wall

When you turn your TV back on, it will recognize all HDMI sources and should be working properly again.

This seemed odd to me (since it was a new TV). The serviceman explained the solution like this...

HDMI sources are extremely finicky digital signals. Many times, since there are so many HDMI ports together the signal becomes scrambled or confused by the TV. This happens alot on lower end HDTV's. A quick fix is to perform the steps above. When these steps are performed, it allows the TV to re-recognize all of the signals that may have become confused. It may seem like a lot of work, but its one of those things that happens sometimes...

Oh well, I guess that is what I get for purchasing a Westinghouse...

Hope this helps!

hughgo
Gerbil In Training

Another (easier) solution

Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:50 am

I had the same problem with my 3 week old Westinhouse TX42F430S - none of the 4 HDMI ports would detect an input signal.

The quick fix for me was to "reset" the TV by doing the following:

1) turn it off using the side power button.
2) press and HOLD the side power button for at least 10 seconds, then release.

If you've done it correctly the TV should turn on and display the white "W" Westinghouse logo, indicating that it is performing a full system reset.

This seems to have permanently corrected the problem for me. I guess the previous poster's fix of unplugging everything and waiting a minute (some say an hour) essentially causes the same "reset" procedure to occur, but I think the 10 second power button trick is much easier.

The explanation I read on another forum was related to the HDCP copy protection algorithms used by the HDMI ports. Apparently the source devices (cable box, Blu ray player, etc) perform a protocol "handshake" with the TV's HDMI ports to exchange encryption keys before they can transmit a signal to the TV. It seems that occasionally the TV's HDMI "keystore" can get corrupted and the source device refuses to send a signal (hence the "no input signal detected" message on the TV) On the TX42F430S all four HDMI ports share the same single HDMI circuitry (they use a "hub" to provide 4 ports) so a corrupted keystore will effect all 4 ports at once.

By doing the 10-second power button reset (or unplugging everything and waiting some amount of time) the HDCP keystore cache is cleared and the devices are able to renegotiate the crypo keys.

Alas, gone are the days when you could just plug in a cable and have it work. :-(

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:21 am

maybe it's the 42" Westy...
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

C Rev
Gerbil In Training

It's the Westy!!!!

Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:25 pm

I own a Westinghouse TX-47F430S and just recently my HDMI inputs and one of my componet inputs also stopped working, then, my TV crapped out. I reset the TV by unplugging it for 30 seconds and my HDMI inputs were working again, but I could not get any sound. I called Westinghouse tech support and they told me to do another reset. I did another reset and powered the TV back on. half the screen was white and half the screen was black, and it didnt go away. The tech told me to again, do another reset. I did, and the screen was all black with purple text. I did 3 more resets until the screen was a fuzzy, blurry, green, and I cant even make out the picture on all inputs. I bought the set July 2007 and I have alreay had one replacement TV in October 2007, because after 2 months the first one just stopped working. Now Im on the second TV and after another 2 months, the second one is all jacked up.

Help please.

Anyone else having an expierence like I am?

My setup:
47' Westinghouse TX-47F430S
Sony PS3-via HDMI
Desktop computer-via DVI to HDMI
Comcast HD Cable-via Component cable

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:34 pm

Geeze, is someone paying all these people to post problems about Westinghouse TVs? I've never seen such a topic-oriented influx of new posters on a particular thread before.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:19 pm

It is a bit strange that 4 new posters signed up ostensibly just to post in this thread. Hmm.

C Rev
Gerbil In Training

Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:44 pm

I signed up because this forum came up when I googled "problems with Westinghouse HDTV LCD." A lot of consumers are experiencing the same issues as I am. And I felt like giving my two cents on my experiences with this TV, and to see if anyone had a solution.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:48 pm

You know, people used to complain that PCs should act more like our other appliances -- you know, like phones and TVs that never need to be rebooted to work correctly. Well, hey, be careful what you ask for...
Vrock wrote:
It is a bit strange that 4 new posters signed up ostensibly just to post in this thread. Hmm.
Yeah, particularly since I can't see an obvious way to get this thread to come up in the first couple of pages on google; the threads at avsforum.com and hometheaterforum.com pop up first. It's hard to imagine that someone is paying to astroturf Westinghouse, though.

C Rev
Gerbil In Training

Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:47 pm

Thats what happens when you spend eight hours at work sitting in front of a computer. you have time to filter through the junk :roll: and actually find what your looking for.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:53 pm

C Rev wrote:
Thats what happens when you spend eight hours at work sitting in front of a computer. you have time to filter through the junk :roll: and actually find what your looking for.
I can relate. I don't have any insight into this particular problem, unfortunately, but welcome to TR!

bg2500
Gerbil In Training

Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:46 pm

I just experienced this same problem today with my TX-47F430S that I bought about 3 months ago from Best Buy so I came here and tried the reset and it worked. Thanks everyone

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:10 pm

bg2500 wrote:
I just experienced this same problem today with my TX-47F430S that I bought about 3 months ago from Best Buy so I came here and tried the reset and it worked. Thanks everyone

Magnus P.I.
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:29 pm

Hey,

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys. When I typed in "HDMI no signal Westinghouse" this was the first forum that popped up on Google for me. Exact same no picture problem happened to my 42 inch Westy today. I've had no problems since buying it in Mid-October. Thought it was my 360 at first, but a trip to Best Buy corrected me of that error. Reset my tv, and bam, it's working again.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:53 pm

Glad we were able to help. Welcome to TR 8)