Topic Author

Digital to Analog Convert box

Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:17 am

Dont forget to sign up for your free coupons:

https://www.dtv2009.gov/
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:19 pm

That's just for people picking up OTA analog channels. And personally, I think it's a horrible use of tax dollars. :evil:

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:37 pm

Vrock wrote:
And personally, I think it's a horrible use of tax dollars. :evil:

Bah we all like free sheeeeet. But I guess you are right.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:47 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Vrock wrote:

Free sheeeet is nice but this isn't free, this is costing you and me and everyone else money, all so some 75 year old grandma in North Dakota can keep watching Days of Our Lives on her 20 year old 19" RCA TV.

This program is a prime example of government waste and gross misappropriation of tax dollars. We're subsidizing entertainment, for crissakes. Okay, I'll shut up now so this doesn't go to R&P.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:02 pm

Vrock wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
Vrock wrote:
Free sheeeet is nice but this isn't free, this is costing you and me and everyone else money, all so some 75 year old grandma in North Dakota can keep watching Days of Our Lives on her 20 year old 19" RCA TV.

This program is a prime example of government waste and gross misappropriation of tax dollars. We're subsidizing entertainment, for crissakes. Okay, I'll shut up now so this doesn't go to R&P.
Actually, considering the billions the government is going to earn by auctioning off the UHF spectrum now used for OTA analog TV, it's not going to cost taxpayers anything. Of course money is fungible, and they could use that money for something else, but you probably won't think that's a worthy use of the money either, so what's the difference? And they're not subsidizing entertainment (most of which is produced in the US) they're subsidizing the makers of the converter boxes (most of which are made in... well, just guess). But given the woeful number of Americans who get their entire dose of information about the world from a half-hour nightly newscast, consider it a subsidy towards maintaining a minimally-informed electorate.

(I'm actually a candidate for this, since my only source of "live" video is OTA, but I already have an ATSC tunder for my computer for the few times I want to actually watch network TV... like yesterday's bowl games).

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:06 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Vrock wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
Vrock wrote:

Actually, considering the billions the government is going to earn by auctioning off the UHF spectrum now used for OTA analog TV, it's not going to cost taxpayers anything. Of course money is fungible, and they could use that money for something else, but you probably won't think that's a worthy use of the money either, so what's the difference? And they're not subsidizing entertainment (most of which is produced in the US) they're subsidizing the makers of the converter boxes (most of which are made in... well, just guess). But given the woeful number of Americans who get their entire dose of information about the world from a half-hour nightly newscast, consider it a subsidy towards maintaining a minimally-informed electorate.
I'm gonna start a thread in R&P on this and respond, if you don't mind. :)

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:06 pm

Vrock wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:
Vrock wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
Vrock wrote:

I'm gonna start a thread in R&P on this and respond, if you don't mind. :)
Probably for the best. Since I don't do R&P, have fun without me ;)