Go Gouda!
4 (15%)

Total votes: 27

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Clemens on 60 Minutes

Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:11 am

Did anyone watch it? I thought that he came off very well. However, he still needs to back it up by following through with his testimony to Congress and now this. What would it do to your perception of the other players named in the Mitchell report if it turns out that the claims against Clemens can't be proven?
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Lucky Jack Aubrey
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:23 am

I think Clemens used. Nolan Ryan was a freak of nature, and we saw how his arm started to break down when he was Clemens' age.

And with regard to the lawsuit, can you really sue someone who is cooperating with a request from federal authorities? IANAL, but at the very least, won't Clemens have to prove by a preponderance of the evidence that McNamee is lying? Realistically, how do Clemens' lawyers expect to do that?

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:30 am

Clemens would be the defendant, he doesn't have to prove anything. That's the plaintiff's job, and they must do so "beyond reasonable doubt". This is why you can plead the 5th (your right not to self incriminate yourself) and still win your case.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:37 am

pete_roth wrote:
Clemens would be the defendant, he doesn't have to prove anything. That's the plaintiff's job, and they must do so "beyond reasonable doubt". This is why you can plead the 5th (your right not to self incriminate yourself) and still win your case.

Clemens is suing McNamee. He's the plaintiff; he has to prove his allegations.

LINK
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:53 am

I can't imagine he'll get much - he's pretty much done and this comes after the money-making period of his life. Not much in terms of "damages", IMO. Of course I didn't think any team was stupid enough to sign him for eight figures for 4 months of work, either.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:53 am

Captain Ned wrote:
pete_roth wrote:

Clemens is suing McNamee. He's the plaintiff; he has to prove his allegations.

LINK

Ah I didn't read that part, I thought this was something along the lines of someone bringing these charges against him for use of roids.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:25 am

Until he denies it under oath, I would not bother listening to him.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:08 pm

The oath is BS too. "Lolz k, I promise I won't fib". Sure there is a penalty if you're caught, but if you're caught that means they had evidence to the contrary so you were boned anyhow.

Master Kenobi
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:28 pm

Lying under oath just makes the penalty that much stiffer. It's sort of a trap that they bait. You can come clean with it under oath and maybe hope for leniancy or try to lie and if your caught, the penalty is much much worse.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:21 pm

They should just force them to testify. Put up or shut up. You can lie all you want on TV, however if they bust you under oath, they can send you to jail.

That's what I want to see. Admit it or go to jail.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:33 pm

Personally, I think getting the feds involved with this is just a waste of time and resources.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:41 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
Admit it or go to jail.

Admit it, even if he didn't do it?

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:22 pm

idchafee wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:
Admit it or go to jail.

Admit it, even if he didn't do it?

Well then deny it under oath. If he's so confident in his innocence why is he avoiding this option. From what I recall Mitchell had evidence to back his statements.

I don't doubt that he took drugs. Do you?

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:39 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
I don't doubt that he took drugs. Do you?

I wouldn't be surprised if he did, but yes I do have doubts. IMO, he's done a real good job of covering his ass if he did do it.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:47 pm

Some of his answers actually made it sound *more* like he did drugs. Like when Mike Wallace asked what Clemens would say to him now, it wasn't "stop lying", it was more like "I helped you out, man!". WTF? Not the words of someone who's innocent - more like the words of someone who got caught.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Clemens on 60 Minutes

Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:42 pm

Looks like Andy Petitte is going to sell Clemens out before Congress next week. Sweet!

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:47 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Looks like Andy Petitte is going to sell Clemens out before Congress next week. Sweet!

I read that earlier. If its true, then Clemens is toast. And to think that him and Pettite were tight.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:54 pm

Tight is an understatement - Petitte is the whole reason Clemens went to Tejas in the first place and the whole reason he went back to NY. They're better girlfriends than A-Rod and Jeter every thought about being. I guess if Petitte was retired he could have gone into hiding like Chuck Knoblauch did...:lol:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:39 pm

Just saw on Yahoo that his lawsuit against McNamee is going to federal court now. But before that, one of them is going to lie to Congress tomorrow. This is a big hairy deal and I think it's going to "McGwire" (or if you prefer, "Bonds") any chance of getting into the HoF that Clemens had (which before the Mitchell report, I think was automatic).