Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

Fearless
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Jan 02, 2002 2:43 pm

Platform:
Dragon Plus, sound disabled in BIOS.
SB Audigy -- no game port attached (when I set it up I noticed that sound would not work if the game port was attached).
Plextor 24/10/40 CD-RW.
Windows XP Pro.
Latest drivers for everything loaded (at least from mfg sites like viaarena, plextor, soundblaster, etc).

Problem:
Everything is working great until I put a music CD in the system. Then a blue screen of death. Definate driver problem... but didn't have time to dig into things with the in-laws in house.

Question:
Anybody have this combination working or know of an older driver combination that works?

highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 03, 2002 12:15 am

I can think of two possibilities.

One, the drivers on the SB are messed. If the game port is flaky, that could be an indication...

Two, the program that is set to auto-run the Cds may have some incompatibility, either with XP or the drivers.

Also, do you have any other drives you can test? Are you using the digital out on the drive, or the analog?
Just a few trouble-shooting suggestions...

Fearless
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2002 10:41 am

I personally believe the game port's poor behavior is because the one associated with the sound on the motherboard didn't really get out of the way when it was disabled through BIOS.

One of the ways I found out the game port on the motherboard was associated with the on board sound was I plugged my joystick into the port, but XP refused to say it was correctly connected... it used the driver associated with the Audigy... but it could still see it. It correctly determined what kind of joystick it was. Leads me to believe it is not as disabled as I might like.

I'm sure it does have something to do with the drivers... I just haven't had time yet to figure anything out. I was just using the Creative Play Center since it was all I had loaded so far.

Maybe I'll get time to poke around again this weekend.

champs
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jan 05, 2002 12:34 am

I get it in a similar setup (Audigy/Plextor), but only when an MP3 is playing, first.

Fearless
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2002 12:46 am

Well, Plextor solved it.

The patch that Microsoft pushes on you for CDRW drives doesn't apply for this drive...
The patch was:
Windows XP Hotfix (SP1) [See Q309691 for more information]

Uninstalling the patch, removing the CDRW drive and making XP redetect worked.