Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Yikes, just ordered a 2407; what should I do?!

Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:14 am

I ordered the Dell 2407-HC about a week ago and it still hasn't shipped yet. Now they drop the price $100 and come out with the 2408. What doy ou guys think I should do?

1. Wait for my 2407
2. Call Dell and ask for a $100 credit
3. Cancel the order and get the 2408 instead

My system specs are in my sig, so I won't be using the DisplayPort at all. The 2408 might be better in some ways, but it hasn't been reviewed yet.

Any ideas, fellow gerbils?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:21 am

Scrap #1.

#2 and #3 are a bit tougher, as you're right, the 2408 is new and untested/unproven, versus the 2407 well proven track record. Since you stated you aren't gonna use Display Port, are there any other new technology the 2408 has? If I recall I don't think. So I'd probably go with option #2. Call Dell and see if you can get $100 off. Of course, if that fails (might get an agent who just finished with a cranky customer and is in a foul mood), cancel your order for the 2407, then re-order it again at the cheaper price.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:46 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
Scrap #1.

#2 and #3 are a bit tougher, as you're right, the 2408 is new and untested/unproven, versus the 2407 well proven track record. Since you stated you aren't gonna use Display Port, are there any other new technology the 2408 has? If I recall I don't think. So I'd probably go with option #2. Call Dell and see if you can get $100 off. Of course, if that fails (might get an agent who just finished with a cranky customer and is in a foul mood), cancel your order for the 2407, then re-order it again at the cheaper price.

It might have a higher re-sell value in the short term.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:04 pm

I called Dell, and after about 10 minutes of menus I got to an actual person. Both he and his boss said that there was no reduction in price. I guided him through the links and then he finally saw the price and credited my account $100. My bill for the monitor is the same, but I now have a $100 credit.

That might sound fair, but if you think about it, I've paid tax on an extra $100 that I'm not getting back. I'm not sure if it's worth fighting with them for it, but I'm immediately sorry that I chose to buy from Dell. It's not a lot of money; it's the principle of the matter. Should I try and get the rest of my money back?

jobodaho wrote:
It might have a higher re-sell value in the short term.

Huh?

DrDillyBar
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:31 pm

I would have taken option 3 personally, but I know Dell would do just as you described.
i7-4790k | Z87-A | 16GB RAM | Radeon RX460 | SSD; 2TB and 2TB | Dell 20"w | Win10

fent
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:36 pm

Now that you got the credit you could cancel the order and then order it again with the discount and use your credit.

Although thats not very ethical, just throwing that out there. :wink: (although that also probably wouldnt work)
Awesometown.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Yikes, just ordered a 2407; what should I do?!

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:23 pm

I just got an email that basically said my account has been credited $100 + tax. That's great, but it would have been nice if the support guy I talked to was able to clearly tell me what was going to happen. I know in the back of my mind that going with companies like Dell usually nets this caliber of service, but it's when it happens, it's annoying just the same.