Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

How you like us now, Tiki?

Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:08 am

Throughout the off season and all season long, I was tired of Tiki Barber and cheap shots, big mouth, and the way he was trashing his former team.

Now that the Giants are in the Super Bowl, it looks like we know what the weak link was in past years, and I hope people give Tiki some well deserved payback.

Anyone else glad about that?

Rolling20s
Gerbil Elite

Re: How you like us now, Tiki?

Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:07 am

How much do you want to bet that, at some point in time, Tiki will claim that his comments were meant to motivate Eli?

In other news, my wife is becoming a Giants fan. I'm considering joining her, if only to avoid confrontation. :P

Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:25 am

I've been thinking about this too. I hope the Giants win just to send a big "FU" to Tiki.

Oh, and I'd like to see the Patriots lose too. :D

Dposcorp
Topic Author

Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:29 pm

5150 wrote:
I've been thinking about this too. I hope the Giants win just to send a big "FU" to Tiki.

Oh, and I'd like to see the Patriots lose too. :D

Ahhhhhhhh, a man after my own heart.

5150, if the above happens, the first AND second rounds are on me.

P.S.
My initial title to this thread was gonna be something with more profanity, but I know better.
Titles that came to mind were things like "Hey Tiki, go **** yourself, we are in the Superbowl without your dumb ***, beotch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11"

Rolling20s
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:25 pm

Yeah, the only problem with a title like that is that (along with a solidifying offense), the defense has been excellent this year. I really hope that the coordinator decides to stay, rather than going to Atlanta.

cass

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:46 pm

What exactly did Tiki say that wasn't true?

The Giants are going because Eli finally got his head on straight when the pressure was on. Their running game is not as good now as it was, and the defense is older. The biggest two things allowing the giants to continue is Eli maturing and the NFC being weaker than normal.

Now, that said don't you think the patriots did a little jig last night.... I mean they must be stoked they get to play the giants instead of having to fear Brett favre and the deep ball. The giants are absolutely the best possible matchup for the pats, they don't have a lot of speed at running back, and the pats are better against slower runners, and they don't have to worry about covering for harrison's lack of speed because the giants don't really have that much at wideout. Look for Eli to have happy feet before the first quarter is over and throw at least two int's.

I am not anti giants, I think they played the best when it mattered, and green bays coaching staff choked on lack of playoff experience by abandoning the run and forcing favre to throw too much. See Brady's stats from yesterday if you think throwing in cold weather is easy.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:00 pm

cass wrote:
green bays coaching staff choked

and how! After a brilliant job last week running the ball down the Seahawks throat, they totally forgot about it this week. 13 carries for Ryan Grant in a close ballgame is not acceptable.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Dposcorp
Topic Author

Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:59 pm

cass wrote:
What exactly did Tiki say that wasn't true?

The Giants are going because Eli finally got his head on straight when the pressure was on. Their running game is not as good now as it was, and the defense is older. The biggest two things allowing the giants to continue is Eli maturing and the NFC being weaker than normal.

How can you say that Eli finally got his head on straight, then go on to say "Look for Eli to have happy feet before the first quarter is over and throw at least two int's."

Makes no sense. He has thrown 0 INTS in his last 3 games, all play off games, all on the road, and had a average QB rating for those 3 games of 99.2.
He ain't Peyton, but he is going to the Super bowl, whiles Peyton, Favre, Romo, and others will be watching.

As for what Tiki said, the guy has always had a big mouth and talked a lot of smack.

*Tiki criticized Eli on national television for a lack of strong leadership.
*Barber had said that Manning's attempt to lead an offensive meeting in the 12th week of the last season was "comical" at times.
*After a playoff loss to Carolina in 2005, Barber said Coughlin was outcoached by Panther coach John Fox, a former Giants assistant.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2984974

He talked smack about Strahan's contract as well in 2002.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiki_Barber

cass wrote:
..............they don't have to worry about covering for harrison's lack of speed because the giants don't really have that much at wideout.

Huh? Then what are these numbers from the NFC championship game?

Receiving REC YDS AVG TD
P.Burress 11 154 14.0 0
A.Toomer 4 42 10.5 0

In that weather, on the road, in a playoff game, these guys put up some nice numbers. When your guys are averaging double digits in yardage per catch, they got some game.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that the Giants are a offensive machine, but they did drop the more points this season (35) on the Pats then anyone else.

Again, more then likely the Pats will win, but I am rooting for the giants, if for no other reason then out of spite because of Tiki.

p.s. When you are a life long Lions fan, spite is all you got :)

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:07 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
Receiving REC YDS AVG TD
P.Burress 11 154 14.0 0
A.Toomer 4 42 10.5 0

In that weather, on the road, in a playoff game, these guys put up some nice numbers. When your guys are averaging double digits in yardage per catch, they got some game.

103 players averaged 10+ yards per catch (minimum 31 receptions per player) this season.

Dposcorp
Topic Author

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:35 pm

mattsteg wrote:
Dposcorp wrote:
Receiving REC YDS AVG TD
P.Burress 11 154 14.0 0
A.Toomer 4 42 10.5 0

103 players averaged 10+ yards per catch (minimum 31 receptions per player) this season.

How many did it on the road, in a playoff game, let alone a at Lambeau in that weather?
Garbage time in the regular season doesnt count.

Those two receivers averaged that in a game that mattered. Cass saying "the giants don't really have that much at wideout" just ain't true.
That was all I was getting at really.

BTW Matt, where did you get those numbers from? I am just curious who else is on that list?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:19 pm

Burress is a good receiver, but he's been playing with a bad ankle all season, so his cuts haven't been crisp. In some games, limping through his routes made him less effective than a backup would have been. Toomer has lost more than a step from his glory days. He's not a threat to just run past a defense like the speedier receivers are. Boss is doing surprisingly well in relief of Shockey, but he's not really stretching the field, either. If anything, the improvement in the Giants' passing game has been Eli's better reads of his progression to find the open receiver rather than trying to force the ball to Shockey whenever he gets rattled.

There's no doubt that the Giants offense has missed Tiki's excellent running and receiving skills. He'll be in the Hall of Fame eventually.

The two weeks of hype before the championship may let the Giants' banged up secondary get a bit healthier, but it will also allow the Patriots' old defense get rested up.

Dposcorp
Topic Author

Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:42 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
He'll be in the Hall of Fame eventually.

Huh? Tiki in the Hall? What did I miss?

He was good, but look at the guys ahead of him who are not yet in.
(These links are like a year old, fyi

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/r ... se_id=1988

Also, I aint the only one saying he aint gettin in:
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9738765

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:49 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
Dposcorp wrote:
Receiving REC YDS AVG TD
P.Burress 11 154 14.0 0
A.Toomer 4 42 10.5 0

How many did it on the road, in a playoff game, let alone a at Lambeau in that weather?
Garbage time in the regular season doesnt count.

Those two receivers averaged that in a game that mattered. Cass saying "the giants don't really have that much at wideout" just ain't true.
That was all I was getting at really.

BTW Matt, where did you get those numbers from? I am just curious who else is on that list?

pro-football-reference.com Those are season averages. Those 103 players did that week in and week out. You can't call the entire season "garbage time". Clearly only a handful of players were even on the field on the road in the playoffs (but plenty averaged 10+ yards per catch on the roas in a playoff game, see below). Averaging double digit yards per completion isn't a big deal at all. Out of qualifiers, only Chad Pennington and Brody Coyle threw for less than 10 yards per catch (including checkdowns and dumpoffs to backs and tight-ends). You're making average stats at best out to be some kind of world beaters here.

receivers who averaged 10+ yards per catch on the road in playoff games this year:
S. Moss
M Jones-Drew
E.Wilford (x2)
R. Williams (x2)
D. Northcutt (x2)
A.Toomer (x3)
B. Troupe
J.Gage
A. Hall
B. Engram
B. Obomanu
M. Lewis
M. Jones
G. Jones
V. Jackson (x2)
C. Chambers (x2)
D. Sproles
A. Gates
L. Naanee
L. Tomlinson
C. Davis
S. Smith (x2)
K. Boss (x2)
P. Burress

That's 24 people with at least 1 10ypc game on the road in this year's playoffs, and 33 such performances. There have been 10 playoff games so that's 3.3 per game. It's just not an outstanding achievement, ok? 49 players (nfl.com) are averaging 10ypc or more in the playoffs.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:58 pm

That link at the HOF didn't include Tiki's 2006 stats, in which he amassed 1662 yds rushing and 465 yds receiving, giving him 10,449 yds rushing and 5,183 yds receiving for his career. Toss in 544 yds of kick returns and 1181 yds of punt returns, and his total of 17,359 combined yards puts him at 11th on the all-time list. There's no doubt that the Giants have missed his on-the-field performance this year.

Dposcorp
Topic Author

Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:36 pm

I guess we just have to agree to disagree. Myself and many others call the playoffs the real season.
Ask Mr. Tears himself, T.O. Ask Marty, and last years Chargers about that. They were 14-2, and lost the first playoff game and Marty got fired.

Getting to the Playoffs is nice and even getting the first round bye is great. A lot it did for Dallas and Indy. Playoffs is what matters. Play well or go home.

Very few people make it to the H.O.F. without nice playoff numbers and / or rings. Being from Detroit, Barry Sanders is first in my mind.
Tiki could not hold his jock strap.

As for the Giants missing him, they are in the Super Bowl without him and his distraction causing big mouth.

Talk is cheap.

The Giants played their butts off and are in the big game, proving him wrong about the Coach AND the QB.

You say they miss him as if he would win the big game for them. He ain't all that.

P.S.

I love you all, and any emotion felt here is because I am In Detroit with the Lions.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:52 am

Dposcorp wrote:
I guess we just have to agree to disagree. Myself and many others call the playoffs the real season.

Fair enough, then their yards per catch is unimpressive because 49 people are averaging (or averaged) 10+ ypc in the playoffs.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:15 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
As a life long Giants fan I have to say I am very happy for Eli. I am proud they played the Pats hard in Week 17, which I think will translate into an excellent Superbowl. Tiki, while an excellent talent, I think is a little to cocky for his own good. I am sure he feels a bit jealous now too. He did run his mouth a little too much for my liking, and the Giants are obviously not missing him.

How does someone who lives in Central Florida become a Giants fan? I assume you lived in the New York area at some point?

edit: and when healthy, I think that Brandon Jacobs is at least in the same general area as Barber.

Kevin
Administrator

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:18 pm

idchafee wrote:
and when healthy, I think that Brandon Jacobs is at least in the same general area as Barber.

Maybe if Jacobs could catch a ball out of the backfield.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:24 pm

Kevin wrote:
idchafee wrote:
and when healthy, I think that Brandon Jacobs is at least in the same general area as Barber.

IMO a RB having the ability to catch a pass is overrated. Its a nice plus, but if it were all that Larry Centers would be in the Hall of Fame.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:55 pm

Kevin wrote:
idchafee wrote:
... or outrun a defensive back on the outside ... or juke a would-be tackler off of his feet in the open field.

Jacobs is a big bruising back, but he's not as skilled as Tiki.

cass

Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:19 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
How can you say that Eli finally got his head on straight, then go on to say "Look for Eli to have happy feet before the first quarter is over and throw at least two int's."

Makes no sense. He has thrown 0 INTS in his last 3 games, all play off games, all on the road, and had a average QB rating for those 3 games of 99.2.
He ain't Peyton, but he is going to the Super bowl, whiles Peyton, Favre, Romo, and others will be watching.

Eli played more consistently, and had better play calling handed to him this year, but he has not yet faced a Belichick defense hitting on all cylinders, in the playoffs, and with two weeks to scheme for Eli with no games after the giants. He can literally throw the kitchen sink at him and not worry about breaking it for the next week.

My comment about Eli having happy feet before the 1st quarter is over and throwing two INT's comes more from history than anything else. Just scan the games from the patriots in the playoffs/super bowl for the last several years and see what you think.

Nope, he ain't peyton, and while you are talking about some super bowl quarterbacks, Trent Dilfer wears a ring.... which means he not only got there, he won the thing, and you know the team he dusted off with 12 completions for 153 yds and 1TD was I believe the NY Giants right? Now, the giants have played their butts off, and have had a good run, and hung 35 on the pats, but still lost, and this time the pats old men have had time to rest and Belichick will be more prepared for the NY game. If strahan and OSI can get pressure on Brady without help they could have a shot. There is always injury wildcards and freak happenings, and thats why they play the game.

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:30 am

People bangin on Tiki for what he's said this year are just stupid.

He's a freakin analyst now, he's PAID TO SAY THESE THINGS. Give me a break. And everything he said WAS true. The Giants STUNK at the beginning of the season.

I don't see him saying Eli sucks and the Giants stink now. You know why? He comments on what teams are doing as they are doing it.

And those who say the Giants are better off without him, while that may be true, you can't say he wasn't valuable. Don't forget, the Giants went to the Superbowl with Tiki too.

And I don't think he'll get into the Hall, btw. He had the numbers, but just too few seasons. Though I do respect him for hanging it up while he was at the top of his game, instead of playing on and risking injuries and leaving after he'd already lost it. Takes some guts to do that if you ask me. *shrug*

Disclaimer: I am not a Giants fan, or a Tiki fan, btw. Just making objective observations based on seeing and reading this stuff all year.

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:50 am

PerfectCr wrote:
While I agree, some of the stuff he said was during or at the end of last season, before he was an analyst.

Edit: Inked you might want to fix your sig. ;)

That's why I specified all the stuff he said this year. Before that, well, I still think he was right, and had a right as a former teammate.

As for my sig, I don't know how. I r teh stoopidz when it comes to sigs on boards and stuff :(

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:15 am

PerfectCr wrote:
Change your sig in the User Control Panel. :)

Well no **** Sherlock. I know THAT much. I mean I don't know what to change in it to make it work. If I hadn't been able to copy-paste what is in there now I wouldn't have more than some words down there to begin with!

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:41 am

PerfectCr wrote:
Inkedsphynx wrote:
PerfectCr wrote:
Change your sig in the User Control Panel. :)

Well no **** Sherlock. I know THAT much. I mean I don't know what to change in it to make it work. If I hadn't been able to copy-paste what is in there now I wouldn't have more than some words down there to begin with!

Your sig is in HTML and it needs to be in BBCode format. ;)

I don't know what BBCode format is, otherwise I would alter it as necessary. Could you give me an idea of what's wrong, or shall we continue going 'round this circle?

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:15 am

Just because I post on forums doesn't mean I know a lot about the code used in them. Yea, I use the bold stuff on occasion, but for the most part, I don't know how to do things like links and images and etc etc in the various codes.

Hell, it wasn't until like 2 months ago that I learned how to embed links in text. And I don't even remember how to off the top of my head. (and I never noticed the button for that up above until now). Anyway, I'll see if I can fix it. Thank you :P

cass

Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:13 pm

cass wrote:
Now, that said don't you think the patriots did a little jig last night.... I mean they must be stoked they get to play the giants instead of having to fear Brett favre and the deep ball. The giants are absolutely the best possible matchup for the pats, they don't have a lot of speed at running back, and the pats are better against slower runners, and they don't have to worry about covering for harrison's lack of speed because the giants don't really have that much at wideout. Look for Eli to have happy feet before the first quarter is over and throw at least two int's.

Crow, Medium rare, served with 1972 dolphin champagne

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:22 pm

Rolling20s wrote:
How much do you want to bet that, at some point in time, Tiki will claim that his comments were meant to motivate Eli?

In other news, my wife is becoming a Giants fan. I'm considering joining her, if only to avoid confrontation. :P

Better than being a browns or Bungholes fan. ;)

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:46 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
Now that the Giants are in the Super Bowl, it looks like we know what the weak link was in past years
Couldn't you make the same case for Shockey?

Dposcorp
Topic Author

Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:00 pm

Cool, season ending smack talk for me :)

Inkedsphynx wrote:
............And those who say the Giants are better off without him, while that may be true, you can't say he wasn't valuable.

The fact that they won says they are better off without him, and he wasn't that valuable.
EAT THAT!

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Jacobs is a big bruising back, but he's not as skilled as Tiki.

But he got a ring now, dont he.
EAT THAT!

JustAnEngineer wrote:
There's no doubt that the Giants offense has missed Tiki's excellent running and receiving skills.

Yeah, right......all they missed was him not being there in person to put the Lombardi trophy up his you know what.
EAT THAT!

mattsteg wrote:
Dposcorp wrote:

Fair enough, then their yards per catch is unimpressive because 49 people are averaging (or averaged) 10+ ypc in the playoffs.

Like I said, the PLAYOFFS are the real season. Just ask the 18-1 Patriots.
EAT THAT!

To my dawgs, Rolling20s, PerfectCr and pete_roth, i raise my 40oz to you in celebration.
And now I pour a little bit on the pavement for the homey who ain't around.
THAT IDIOT Tiki. LMAO.