Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

champs
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2002 2:06 pm

When it first came out, I thought it was pretty cool -- then my system tanked a few days later, and I never installed it again. It was too clunky, anyway.

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-33 ... 31668.html
Anyway, it seems like it disappeared almost a year ago. Where did it go? Did people finally realize that ugly skins and crappy interfaces were stupid? I highly doubt it -- we wouldn't have ICQ or Trillian, if that were true.

lenzenm
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Mar 08, 2002 2:13 pm

Did people finally realize that ugly skins and crappy interfaces were stupid? I highly doubt it -- we wouldn't have ICQ or Trillian, if that were true.

Hey! Whats wrong with Trillian? Yes the default skin is ugly, unless you like the default look of Windows XP as well (which I don't *shudder*). However, there are good skins for it, and I find the interface quite intuitive.
Now ICQ, that's just ugly, period. Maybe a couple dozen versions ago it was ok, but now, its so damn cluttered, it disgusts me. Kinda like WinAMP.

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 08, 2002 4:30 pm

Industry has a long history of rebadged products. Lots of products that we are all familiar with are made by companies that we never heard of, but have a facade that carries a familiar name. So "skins" abound in the physical realm. NeoPlanet was nothing more than IE repackaged. It looks to me like rebadged software products don't make sense like their hardware counterparts do.
You are false data.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:34 am

On 2002-03-08 13:06, LocalYokel wrote:
When it first came out, I thought it was pretty cool -- then my system tanked a few days later, and I never installed it again. It was too clunky, anyway.

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-33 ... 31668.html
Anyway, it seems like it disappeared almost a year ago. Where did it go? Did people finally realize that ugly skins and crappy interfaces were stupid? I highly doubt it -- we wouldn't have ICQ or Trillian, if that were true.

I'll take trillian over ICQ any day. My only complaint is that the IRC client is lacking in some power user options. That and it isn't available for Linux. :smile: But, then I suppose that is asking a bit much.

champs
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:52 pm

My frustration with Trillian is in the skins -- the default one sucks, and the rest aren't any better. Could the skins' creators have thought up some more straightforward designs? I especially liked the themes that used icons in ambiguous colors to indicate user status.

... but this isn't a rip on Trillian, or an offtopic lament about the harmfulness of skins -- I'm just wondering where the NeoPlanet browser went off to, and why.

monaco
Gerbil In Training

Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:25 pm

I liked Neoplanet! Yah, it was based on IE and was kinda a system hog, but it looked cool! Skin support plus that constantly-updating news ticker/ad window kept me using it.

One day my copy just stopped working, so I uninstalled it. Came back a few months later to try it again, and no more Neoplanet. Don't know where they went to.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 25, 2002 2:00 pm

Now ICQ, that's just ugly, period. Maybe a couple dozen versions ago it was ok, but now, its so damn cluttered, it disgusts me. Kinda like WinAMP.

What the hell is wrong with WinAMP? I think its one of the better skinable programs out their.

element
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 25, 2002 2:57 pm

I'll take trillian over ICQ any day. My only complaint is that the IRC client is lacking in some power user options. That and it isn't available for Linux. :smile: But, then I suppose that is asking a bit much.

I'll take almost any Jabber client over ICQ or TRillian. I've tried TRillian several times but the GUI and interface is just ugly and not practical. And ICQ, well we all know this story, way too bloated.

Jabber on the other hand is small and cool and open-source.

Ricardo Dawkins
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Mar 25, 2002 3:13 pm

Trillian and WinAmp 0wnz j00 411 !!!!!

aafuss
Gerbil In Training

Thu Apr 04, 2002 3:27 am

They now offer neoplanet viassary. Macbar- rebranded WinMac.