Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

mykl_Dunn
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Disk error transfering mini dv to dvd player

Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:28 pm

I keep getting "Disk Error" when I attempt to play burned LightScribable DVD-R's (Verbatim) on a Magnavox DP100MW8. I have used Nero 7 Essentials on the PC and iDVD on the iMac. This is my 1st attempt at doing this and thought it would be easier. What am I doing wrong?

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: Disk error transfering mini dv to dvd player

Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:33 pm

Do they play in any other players?

mykl_Dunn
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:25 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Do they play in any other players?

They played in computer players. The Magnavox plays commercial DVD's.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:31 pm

Do they play in any other standalone players? It may be that the Magnavox is just really picky about media. Or there could be something wrong with the way you're burning the disc.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:48 pm

When you burn the DVD, set the book type to DVD-ROM. Most every instance of a set-top player refusing to load burned DVDs is because the DVD's book type reads DVD-R or DVD+R and the set-top player is programmed to read only DVD-ROM book types.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

mykl_Dunn
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Do they play in any other standalone players?

I cannot test that at this time.

just brew it! wrote:
Or there could be something wrong with the way you're burning the disc.

That's what I'm thinking/hoping.

mykl_Dunn
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:46 pm

What application(s) would you recommend for capturing video from a miniDV camcorder, edit with the ability to delete frames, and burn to DVD's. AVS4You and Nero don't seem to be cutting it - too complicated. Should I use 3 applications? Do you think I should purchase an app from Apple?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:23 pm

mykl_Dunn wrote:
What application(s) would you recommend for capturing video from a miniDV camcorder, edit with the ability to delete frames, and burn to DVD's. AVS4You and Nero don't seem to be cutting it - too complicated. Should I use 3 applications? Do you think I should purchase an app from Apple?

Before you do anything rash take one of the burned DVDs that won't work in your set-top player and plonk it in the DVD drive of your computer. Open Nero, go to the menu bar, and click Recorder > Disc Info. You'll get something like this:

Look to the upper left, second line down. If the disk you burned doesn't report DVD-ROM, Google on how to change the book type settings for your DVD burner so as to force it to report the disc as a DVD-ROM. If you do so and that still refuses to work, only then will drastic measures be necessary.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

mykl_Dunn
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:28 pm

Nero Bunrning ROM does not have a bitsetting feature. I read that bitsetting is not possible with -R. Should I be using +R for movies and/or pictures?

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:48 pm

mykl_Dunn wrote:
Nero Bunrning ROM does not have a bitsetting feature. I read that bitsetting is not possible with -R. Should I be using +R for movies and/or pictures?

-R vs. +R should not matter for any remotely modern DVD player. Conventional wisdom used to be that -R was more compatible, but I don't think that's true any more.

Can you give some additional details of what you did to burn the DVD? Was it created from an ISO image, a VIDEO_TS folder, or some other way?

I'm not familiar with Nero Essentials; does it come with any video editing/mastering software?

mykl_Dunn
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:13 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Can you give some additional details of what you did to burn the DVD? Was it created from an ISO image, a VIDEO_TS folder, or some other way?

I used iDVD to capture the movie and iMovie to burn to DVD. I could not find the option to make an ISO image but did see an option to Export and choose something other than Quicktime. I'm not sure what Exporting does. When the DVD could not be viewed on a standalone player I used a PC to make more DVD's. So I have .dv, iMovie Project and _TS files.
just brew it! wrote:
I'm not familiar with Nero Essentials; does it come with any video editing/mastering software?

Yes. Authoring: Nero Vision (trial)

mykl_Dunn
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:21 pm

I think I'm getting closer to burning a DVD readable on the standalone player. Under expert setting I see the following choices for compression settings:

AVI
DV Stream
Hinted Movie
Image Sequence
MPEG-4
Picture
QuickTime Media Link
QuickTime Movie

The choices for Compression Type are DV/DVCPRO-NTSC or none.

The manual for the standalone player indicates that the "Recorded Signals" is to be MPEG-2.

Which settings should I use when exporting?

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:27 pm

mykl_Dunn wrote:
I think I'm getting closer to burning a DVD readable on the standalone player. Under expert setting I see the following choices for compression settings:

AVI
DV Stream
Hinted Movie
Image Sequence
MPEG-4
Picture
QuickTime Media Link
QuickTime Movie

The choices for Compression Type are DV/DVCPRO-NTSC or none.

The manual for the standalone player indicates that the "Recorded Signals" is to be MPEG-2.

Which settings should I use when exporting?

I may be mistaken, but I don't think any of those are compatible with standalone DVD players. As the manual indicates, it needs to be MPEG-2.

If you have a VIDEO_TS folder, you should be able to burn that to a disc in DVD-Video mode? That should work (I think).

Sorry to be so vague, but I've never used Nero Essentials or iMovie. On my PC I use Pinnacle Studio; you just click the "Make Movie" button and it creates a playable DVD or ISO file from your project.

(Note: The above is not necessarily an endorsement of Pinnacle Studio... in fact, it is one of the flakiest commercial apps I've ever used. Two versions and numerous service packs after I first started using it, it is still pretty wonky and unpredictable. But at least the "Make Movie" button works. Usually.)