phpBB 3

Notices, forum rules, FAQs, and other things of a critical nature.

Moderator: Kevin

Re: phpBB 3

Postposted on Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:37 pm

Kevin wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:Most non-phpBB forums I'm on truncate the middle of the URL, rather than the end. That way, you can still see the ending without mousing over, yet it'll never break the page.

phpBB3 also does this, except for links to other parts of the forums, then it just removes the common part of the path.

Why does it truncate it so short though. Truncating a 100character link is one thing, but, for example:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloa ... l=en&s=gen
That's not going to break any pages. If a link is really long, most people are going to put it in the {url} tags anyways.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:15 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:Why does it truncate it so short though.

No idea. Ask the phpBB devs.

Usacomp2k3 wrote:If a link is really long, most people are going to put it in the {url} tags anyways.

You'd be surprised. It was something I really hated to moderate and it happened often enough to be a major pain. Now phpBB does it for me.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.
Kevin
Administrator

Postposted on Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:14 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:If a link is really long, most people are going to put it in the {url} tags anyways.

Heh. Shortening URLs that busted a 10x7 page accounted for the majority of my mod posts in the v2 'Porch.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:29 pm

Not that USAComp doesn't have the right to address any complaints he has about the new forums, but with all his objections he could start his own issues thread. :lol:
Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Core i5-3550 | 2x ASUS STRIX GTX 970 SLI | 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1866 | Fractal Define R4 | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU | Dell U2712HM LCD | Win 8.1 64bit
Steam/Xbox LIVE/PSN: PerfectCr
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:45 pm

PerfectCr wrote:Not that USAComp doesn't have the right to address any complaints he has about the new forums, but with all his objections he could start his own issues thread. :lol:

But where would the fun be in that.

I'm one of those people that likes to complain, but it's not really a complaint. It's how I process something new. Once I get it out and especially if those in power explain it, it really no longer bothers me (for mosth things at least). I'm not quite sure why I'm wired that way, but I assure you my wife will verify that I am :wink:
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:56 pm

It's cool. Just sounds like a lot of your comments could really be leveled at the phpBB devs. ;)
Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Core i5-3550 | 2x ASUS STRIX GTX 970 SLI | 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1866 | Fractal Define R4 | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU | Dell U2712HM LCD | Win 8.1 64bit
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:01 pm

PerfectCr wrote:It's cool. Just sounds like a lot of your comments could really be leveled at the phpBB devs. ;)

Well a large part of that comes from the fact that I've never really delved into skins. Also, I've setup and admineed a phpBB2 forum before, but haven't messed with 3 at all, so I no longer know how that part of the backend works. If I have a comment I don't know whether it's because of phpBB3 in general or the specific implementation here. So far they mostly fall into the former.

Much thanks to the patience of Kevin and Steve and Cyril for putting up with me. I don't know if I'm worth it, but I'm honored.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:16 am

Is it just my machine or did a bunch of text go light grey? And where'd the quote/edit/report buttons go?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:31 am

Steve is probably playing around on the live server again. :P
Desktop: FX-8350 | 32 GB | XFX Radeon 6950 | Windows 7 x64
Laptop: i7 740QM | 12 GB | Mobility Radeon 5850 | Windows 8.1.1.1.1 x64
SuperSpy
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:39 am

derFunkenstein wrote:Is it just my machine or did a bunch of text go light grey? And where'd the quote/edit/report buttons go?

Those buttons are not visible when you're not logged in.
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:02 am

Can I post when I'm not logged in? I can't go back and edit anything.\

edit: Ctrl+F5 got the new CSS and now the buttons are back. I think someone was fooling with me earlier.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:16 pm

Did the red and blue used for delineating read/unread topics get slightly revised or have my eyes slowly adapted? For some reason I can now see the difference, clearly...
Acer AO521, Asus EEE2G, and an e6300 (EP45-DS3L, 4GB Corsair, 320GB 7200.10, EVGA GT250, Corsair VX450W and Samsung 2043BW)
iamajai
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:53 am

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:58 pm

How come I can't see any of the front page comments once it goes to a second (or more) page. I read them as flat not threaded, and when I click to try and open the second page I get a blank blue & beige template.

I'm running FF.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran
Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:48 am

Hoser wrote:How come I can't see any of the front page comments once it goes to a second (or more) page. I read them as flat not threaded, and when I click to try and open the second page I get a blank blue & beige template.

I'm running FF.

That's odd, it works correctly for me.
sroylance
TR Staff
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:04 am

sroylance wrote:That's odd, it works correctly for me.

It does for me now too.......strange. It was the 3870 article comments I was getting the problem with. *shrug*
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran
Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:57 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:I'm experiencing the same thing here, I just noticed. I'm at work. I signed in at 2, browsed for a little bit, then signed out and closed FF (2.0.0.11). I come back from doing a job, open FF back up, login, and behold the previous list of 'new posts' was still there. It had been updated with the real 'new posts' but the ones that were new when I logged in at 2, were still on the list, even though they weren't marked as new.

EDIT: I tried clearing the cookies/cache and it seems to be working now.

Well it's acting up again. I logged in from my laptop in class early this afternoon, then logged out at the end of class. When I got to work just now and logged in, it showed the same list as from earlier (updated with the new posts). Is there some sort of something server-side the keeps the session alive even after the user logs off? If so, that's dumb. I want it to be that whenever I hit logoff, it deletes that session.

I don't really understand where phpBB3 stores whether a post has been viewed or not. I'm guessing that it has changed since 2 though.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:11 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:I'm experiencing the same thing here, I just noticed. I'm at work. I signed in at 2, browsed for a little bit, then signed out and closed FF (2.0.0.11). I come back from doing a job, open FF back up, login, and behold the previous list of 'new posts' was still there. It had been updated with the real 'new posts' but the ones that were new when I logged in at 2, were still on the list, even though they weren't marked as new.

EDIT: I tried clearing the cookies/cache and it seems to be working now.

Well it's acting up again. I logged in from my laptop in class early this afternoon, then logged out at the end of class. When I got to work just now and logged in, it showed the same list as from earlier (updated with the new posts). Is there some sort of something server-side the keeps the session alive even after the user logs off? If so, that's dumb. I want it to be that whenever I hit logoff, it deletes that session.

I don't really understand where phpBB3 stores whether a post has been viewed or not. I'm guessing that it has changed since 2 though.

I consider that behavior a feature, not a bug. It's quite handy and a huge improvement over phpBB2.
mattsteg
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:12 pm

mattsteg wrote:I consider that behavior a feature, not a bug. It's quite handy and a huge improvement over phpBB2.

How is that a feature. When I want to view "new posts since last visit" I want it to do just that. Only show the one's that are new since the last visit.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:28 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
mattsteg wrote:I consider that behavior a feature, not a bug. It's quite handy and a huge improvement over phpBB2.

How is that a feature. When I want to view "new posts since last visit" I want it to do just that. Only show the one's that are new since the last visit.
It's a feature because I prefer to keep the same list of new posts between multiple computers. If I don't have a chance to read a "new" post right away, I greatly appreciate having it available and still flagged in the future, even if I'm at a different computer. How is that not a feature? The old way of doing things sucked. One search for new posts and you'd lose your entire list of fresh content everywhere but on that one computer/browser and lose any other "new" posts you hadn't read elsewhere. Now that doesn't happen.

It's not like you can't tell what posts you've read and what ones you haven't.
mattsteg
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Besides, the old behavior broke rather nastily in browsers without aggressive caching mechanisms. I found phpBB forums almost unusable in IE, compared to Opera's behavior.

Browsers with aggressive caching aren't affected much, browsers without have a much better experience.
bhtooefr
Darth Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:20 pm

bhtooefr wrote:Besides, the old behavior broke rather nastily in browsers without aggressive caching mechanisms. I found phpBB forums almost unusable in IE, compared to Opera's behavior.

Browsers with aggressive caching aren't affected much, browsers without have a much better experience.

How did it not work in IE? I don't remember having a problem, other than it refreshing (which isn't a problem anymore due to the fixed flood interval setting).
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:11 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:I want it to be that whenever I hit logoff, it deletes that session.

Then before you log off, click the "Mark all forums read" link. You might also need click the delete cookie link that's at the bottom of the page.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.
Kevin
Administrator

Postposted on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:30 pm

Kevin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:I want it to be that whenever I hit logoff, it deletes that session.

Then before you log off, click the "Mark all forums read" link. You might also need click the delete cookie link that's at the bottom of the page.

Mark all has worked for me through all versions of IE and Firefox.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:44 pm

I am planning on setting up phpBB for a company to be used as a employee forum. Someone told me that phpBB is notorious for having security issues. Is that true or does it take a lot of work to "lock things down" to prevent any kind of malicious activity? Or could that be more a issue with exploits in php itself and not this program?
| May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house |
dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:42 pm

Kevin wrote:

So that will bring back the same functionality as in phpBB2? *sigh* ok. I guess 5 more seconds and 2 more clicks isn't going to ruin my day. It's just that both logging in and logging out is no longer simple.

Let me step into the realm of possible changes:
*Could you add the 'mark all forums read' link to the newposts page? I rarely go to the index page so this would save a step and a page load each time I want to log off.
*could you revert the login page to work like it did in phpBB2 such that it will return to the previous page when you are prompted to login. Right now it always goes to the index, which is annoying.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:10 pm

dolemitecomputers wrote:I am planning on setting up phpBB for a company to be used as a employee forum. Someone told me that phpBB is notorious for having security issues. Is that true or does it take a lot of work to "lock things down" to prevent any kind of malicious activity? Or could that be more a issue with exploits in php itself and not this program?

historically the problem has been with things like SQL injection and shell escapes in phpBB, not in PHP itself. These are defects in phpBB, so there's nothing you can do in phpBB itself to prevent them. In the past year or so it seems that they've squashed a lot of the bugs, I don't think there's been a serious new vulnerability announced in that time.
sroylance
TR Staff
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:07 pm

I'm not sure if this has been reported or not but I don't believe the super tags works with in the code tags. Same thing for the sub scripts. I'm not sure if this is a bug or by design.

x2

vs

Code: Select all
x[super]2[/super]

x2

vs

x[sub]2[/sub]
tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:16 pm

tfp wrote:I'm not sure if this has been reported or not but I don't believe the super tags works with in the code tags. Same thing for the sub scripts. I'm not sure if this is a bug or by design.

x2

vs

x[super]2[/super]

x2

vs

x[sub]2[/sub]

Anybody else think that the dark green on black is a little tough to read?

Anyway, to answer you question, I think it's by design. A code block keeps anything from being processed within it so that you can present things without them being phpBBified.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.
titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:17 pm

I believe that's normal behavior for phpBB, and (IIRC) it behaved that way in v2, as well...

It makes it easier to use code tags to show bbCode.

(I'll note that vBulletin makes you do this dirty hack:)

[code][noparse](your code)[/noparse][/code]
bhtooefr
Darth Gerbil
Silver subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements