Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:00 pm

Magnus P.I. wrote:
When I typed in "HDMI no signal Westinghouse" this was the first forum that popped up on Google for me.

Actually, no. Try it.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:24 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
Magnus P.I. wrote:
When I typed in "HDMI no signal Westinghouse" this was the first forum that popped up on Google for me.

Actually, no. Try it.

Engadget isn't a forum :wink:

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:43 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:
Magnus P.I. wrote:

Actually, no. Try it.

Nor is it the only link that come up before TR. Though I must say, TR has risen in the ranks on that search term since this thread was last used two weeks ago.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:52 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:
Magnus P.I. wrote:

Actually, no. Try it.

Nor is it the only link that come up before TR. Though I must say, TR has risen in the ranks on that search term since this thread was last used two weeks ago.

C Rev
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:34 am

Hey guys I tried the reset again and it didnt work. I finally got fed up with westinghouse, sued the place of purchase for defaulting on the warrenty and bought a Sony Bravia KDL46XBR4. And I must say that I am now a happy camper.

Thanks for trying to help.

P.S. Westinghouse sucks!!!!!

mjs1231
Gerbil In Training

Re: HDMI Inputs not working on Westinghouse TV

Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:07 pm

bam same damn issue cable box, ps3, hd-dvd player no hdmi signal found what is going on with this tv????????

did the reset and bam it cam right on. wtf omg

answer. send westing house a email and demand a firmware update to the tv.

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re:

Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:04 pm

C Rev wrote:
Hey guys I tried the reset again and it didnt work. I finally got fed up with westinghouse, sued the place of purchase for defaulting on the warrenty and bought a Sony Bravia KDL46XBR4. And I must say that I am now a happy camper.

Thanks for trying to help.

P.S. Westinghouse sucks!!!!!

You actually sued them?

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:45 pm

bought a Sony Bravia KDL46XBR4
Nice TV. Hopefully it doesn't develop clouding/backlight bleeding/banding. That's why I returned mine.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:26 pm

So TGDaily is reporting that Westinghouse is going to allow consumers to upgrade the firmware in their TVs themselves. This may offer a route to eventually fixing some of these problems (those that aren't the result of more fundamental problems in the circuitry, anyway).

FunnyTree
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:56 pm

Well, I own a 26 inch LCD from Westinghouse, my HDMI ports are just fine. However i have a buzzing sound from the speakers no matter what inputs im on. This sound only started like last week and the tv is only about 3 weeks old. I have tried the reset and that hasnt worked. And westinghouse's customer support hasnt helped at all. I'm pretty much looking for any help so that i dont have to ship it back.

Bungle
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:24 am

I NEVER sign up for boards when looking for people with similar problems. Keep that in mind. I did this just to further clarify that one person was totally correct with a problem I had been having.

I bought a PS3 on June 12th 08. TWELVE days later my 42" westinghouse stopped detecting input signal. It would automagically change to the HDMI channel but wouldn't detect a signal. I hooked it up with the old RGA cables and after resetting it to the lowest visual settings it worked. I still had had time to return it to best buy but thought it might be the $2 HDMI cable I got off amazon so I bought a $15 one. Same problem. So I had someone that had another PS3 come over tonight and try his, same deal. No audio or video. Now the guy that posted this:

I had the same problem with my 3 week old Westinhouse TX42F430S - none of the 4 HDMI ports would detect an input signal.

The quick fix for me was to "reset" the TV by doing the following:

1) turn it off using the side power button.
2) press and HOLD the side power button for at least 10 seconds, then release.

If you've done it correctly the TV should turn on and display the white "W" Westinghouse logo, indicating that it is performing a full system reset.

This seems to have permanently corrected the problem for me. I guess the previous poster's fix of unplugging everything and waiting a minute (some say an hour) essentially causes the same "reset" procedure to occur, but I think the 10 second power button trick is much easier.

The explanation I read on another forum was related to the HDCP copy protection algorithms used by the HDMI ports. Apparently the source devices (cable box, Blu ray player, etc) perform a protocol "handshake" with the TV's HDMI ports to exchange encryption keys before they can transmit a signal to the TV. It seems that occasionally the TV's HDMI "keystore" can get corrupted and the source device refuses to send a signal (hence the "no input signal detected" message on the TV) On the TX42F430S all four HDMI ports share the same single HDMI circuitry (they use a "hub" to provide 4 ports) so a corrupted keystore will effect all 4 ports at once.

By doing the 10-second power button reset (or unplugging everything and waiting some amount of time) the HDCP keystore cache is cleared and the devices are able to renegotiate the crypo keys.

Alas, gone are the days when you could just plug in a cable and have it work.

This guy is BRILLIANT!! This cured my problem. And it should fix yours too.
All it took was TEN SECONDS!!! here I was inviting weirdos over to find out if my TV was broken when all it took was my beloved GOOGLE search engine. Thank You person that posted this.

And sorry to Corey if he's reading this and realizing i'm calling him a weirdo, tho he knows that's what I think of him. ;-)

axv129
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:14 pm

FunnyTree,
The buzzing is most likely caused by bad power supply circuitry for the backlight. Try turning the backlight all the way UP and see if the buzzing stops. Worked on mine.

ChaosPinhead
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:38 am

I have a Westinghouse 32" LCD from Walmart. I never used HDMI for the first year and a half of ownership, used about everything else on it though with no problem. Just this week i get HDTV service in my apartment. Here is the series of events:
I plug in HDMI to the box and turn the tv on, picture comes up.
I change the channel to an HD channel, the picture looses it signal.
I swear.
I hit the power button to turn the tv off and then on. After 10 seconds of so it comes back up.
I change channels a couple times (staying on hd channels) works great.
I change to a non hd channel, looses its signal again.
I swear
I take the box back for another one, same problem
I try a different HDMI cable, same problem
I plug in through component video, works PEREFCTLY
I get mad and call Westinghouse, they tell me its a bug affecting some TV's of all manufacturers and there is no fix
I dont believe it i call back a few hours later and get someone different. She eventually comes back with the same answer
I find this forum after a couple days of searching and posting in forums.
I decide to leave work 2 hours early just to try the Power button Reset method
.....Will post again when i try it :D

I was really excited about hoping this would work. But it didn't. When i change from SD to HD or HD to SD the signal is lost for about 10 seconds, then it comes back up. Very annoying...

tapper1
Gerbil In Training

Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:38 pm

Answer why HDMI ports on Westinghouse TX42F430S (and others in the same model line) do not work.

My symptoms: All 4 HDMI ports on my TX42F430S do not work with the Blu-ray disk players I've tried. Tried a Toshiba BDX2000KU and Panasonic DMP-BD60. They both work at the store on a randomly chosen HD TV. When I plug in the (second of two) $80 monster HDMI cable it goes from saying " detecting" to "no input found" and on the Panasonic player's LCD a code of U73 displayed. This code indicates a lack of proper communication "handshake" between the Westinghouse and the Panasonic player.

Today I was able to get in touch with Westinghouse support. The attendant told me that there was a known HDMI communications/handshake issue with the firmware on the TX-42F430S and that they were working on an update. No estimated release date was given. When I asked how long this issue has been known by Westinghouse, she said it has been known for around 4 to 6 months. I pressed her further for a release date and she read her script again "we do not have that information at this time." My opinion is that Westinghouse is putting people off until the problem (the people) give up and go away.

December 28, 2009 10:15 AM

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:27 pm

I bought a LVM-37w3 back in the day and waded through much of the Westinghouse thread on avsforums. Seems like the main themes I came back with were:

- If it works, great! If not, too bad!
- Unplug the TV for X amount of time and it might magically start working again! (great explanation above about that)
- Westinghouse's customer service hates you! Don't bother calling!

I love my Westy, it was a great deal. The backlighting is slightly uneven but you can only really tell on bright white like snow scenes. Sometimes the inputs will randomly switch to something else, I think it loves to pop over to the VGA input and this after turning off the "autoswitch inputs" feature. But a few years ago it was only $650 or so on sale, can't beat that value! I always wondered if I should have paid more for the 42" model but after reading that avsforums thread, those people had it WORSE. And that's only the non-TV LCD monitor, the one with the TV tuner built in, ugh!

I see this thread pop up from time to time and get a small chuckle. Far easier to wade through than the avsforums one and you get the same most-useful info out of it pretty quickly. Kinda odd that TR became a top hit for this stuff, but hey, lotta entusiasts got the LVM-37w3 so I guess it kinda makes sense.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:59 pm

It could just be that a bunch of people got Westinghouse TVs for Christmas.

This thread does come up as one of the first few hits if you Google the words "Westinghouse HDMI problems" (without the quotes).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Kimo
Gerbil In Training

Tue May 11, 2010 2:01 pm

All of my Westinghouse 47" LCD's HDMI ports suddenly quit working. I tried various resets. Soft (power button hold down) Hard (uplugging for ten minutes). No luck. All the component and composite outputs worked fine, but as the picture was not as clear with these outputs, I kept searching for an answer. Google search (westinghouse TV HDMI problem) brought me here. After reviewing this thread I don't see the answer that I eventually used that worked perfectly.
I went to: http://www.westinghousedigital.com/firmware.aspx
downloaded new firmware to my computer, uncompressed it, put it on a thumbdrive, plugged it into the USB port on the Westinghouse TV, plugged the TV in, held the TV's power button in for 5 seconds, waited about 20 more seconds, the new firmware flashed to the TV's processor. When the front light on the TV quit blinking I waited about a minute, took out the thumbdrive, restarted the TV and everything worked perfectly.
I hope this helps other people who are having the same problem and stumble on this webpage.
Thanks TR.

seaveraquil
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Thanks everyone for the post. I have a Westinghouse TX47F430S and the same thing happened to me after using HDMI for a month. A reset by unplugging the TV for a minute with HDMI unplugged worked for me!

nbm4219
Gerbil In Training

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm Feeling Lucky ftw!

mikedenney
Gerbil In Training

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Thanks, 'Kimo', for the reminder about the firmware (I'd checked months ago, but mine wasn't there yet).
Now that my model was listed, I have what I'm guessing is some advice for anyone performing this otherwise comparatively (to PCs, anyway) simple firmware update.
If I'm correct, then White-Westinghouse has yet another issue to answer for--their directions seem pretty obviously to be instructing you to unplug the flash drive almost immediately after the update even begins.
Of course, this might be catastrophic if this message is false, you unplug the USB flash drive containing your firmware update, and the event proceeds without any data, causing your TV to lock up.
IF I'm wrong, just please note it, and overlook this post, and I'll slump a little more in my office chair from now on from sheer humiliation. I am sorry I didn't have two TVs to test my 'theory' out, but I'm pretty sure I'm cheap and careful enough that I'd have done the same thing on the 2nd one, too, to avoid the possibility of a firmware crash.
Firmware files are tiny, of course, so maybe the thing loads to the TV's memory so quickly that the message is justifiable, and you can remove the drive instantly, like it indicates (on my TV, the message flashed up immediately after the 'W' Logo flashed up there--in a split second).
Just wondering--I left my flash drive in the thing way past the message, and it updated just fine.
BTW, the issue that prompted my own firmware update involved a new color (hue) issue that has me wondering 'how long'?
The inevitable failure of the thing is pending, I'm sure. Previously, the TV had two separate incidences where, after it was left plugged-in during a thunderstorm, it seemed to have some sort of static-related issue that caused it to fail to power on, until--both times--I was finally able to let the static dissipate (apparently--more than 30 mins. each episode) and the thing would finally work again. This recent hue issue came immediately after yet another storm, actually, making it quite possible (highly probable) that WW isn't putting enough shielding in these things AT ALL.
WW products are the worst quality, beyond compare for any manufacturer, and their customer support just awful (their site is a perfect indicator--their landing page is riddled with grammatical and syntax errors, and their download page lists the 'firmware update' instructions under the heading 'drivers').
A perfect example of this is their ill-fated (ill-designed, ill-manufactured, ill-performing) laptop (any tech ever having to work on one will attest, I hope).
The reason I bought mine is that I found a dead one cheap, that was still under warranty, and had WW RMA it with a 'new one' (one of those that actually arrived with a manufacturer's sticker dated BEFORE the dead one!)...their RMA directions seem overly-obsessive, anal at best (they encourage you to make pictures of your shipping packing materials as you send the thing, in order to prove you didn't flub that job).
With the origin of their name, and what they've now done with it, the only thing sensible to buy with their name on it IS STILL a light bulb, without a doubt.

midnight2727
Gerbil In Training

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:07 pm

The reason so many people sign up to talk about their Westinghouse problem is because of how mad they are..I have tried playing with the settings on my blu ray player and then hooking it up to the tv and it doesnt fix the problem. 1080p/24 is turned off. I've tried asking Westinghouse a bunch of times if the reason the tv won't work with my blu ray player is cuz its not HDCP compatible and no one never knows what HDCP is and can't answer my question. I personally think it's messed up that they don't comply with legal contingencies like HDCP?! Here's my story: For the last 3 months, I have had a constant headache with Westinghouse and Toshiba.. My tv is one I got last Black Friday (bad idea choosing this brand) - Westinghouse VR-4625 46" LCD 1080p HDTV. My Toshiba BDX2250 worked fine with my Westinghouse (I'm guessing because this was an old model and maybe didn't have to be HDCP compliant?) but the blu ray player broke after 7 months so I returned it to get a new one but they didn't have any more of those models and gave me a newer model - BDX2300. That one gave me the start up screen and then went black - doesn't play movies, audio, can't get to the start up screen.. But, it works just FINE with other tvs other than Westinghouse. It worked with my parent's Vizio... Then, I got another one of the same players cuz I thought it was broken and then I realized it just was the tv or the model. So finally they send me another newer model the BDX3300. This one does the SAME thing. I call Westinghouse and they constantly say a level 2 tech will call me back but they've lied constantly. One lady even told me that level 2 techs don't even exist. 10 minutes later, she said she would get me on the phone with a level 2 tech because 2 were standing right next to her (wait, what happened to them not existing?!) and she comes back from putting me on hold and never put me on the phone with them! Now the 3rd person I talk to tells me Westinghouse isn't compatible with Toshiba blu ray but I ask if its all the tvs and she says she doesn't know she doesnt see why it would only be one but I wonder if its cuz this is a black friday tv? But then again, I think Westinghouse just SUCKS and none of them work with toshiba at all cuz they lie to me constantly. They tell me different things EVERY time. I hate Westinghouse and am filling out a complaint to the Better Business Bureau BBB now. This has been a horrible experience and I will always buy the more known, expensive brands from now on!! PS: Although Toshiba may be part of the problem too, they have been EXTREMELY helpful and have sent me a bunch of blu ray players and paid for the shipping and were understanding at least. Westinghouse on the other hand, LIES

LL8054
Gerbil In Training

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:16 am

i have the exact same problem b/t the Westinghouse VR-4625 and the Toshiba BDX3300. tried the reset holding the power button down for 5-10 seconds and got the confirmation that it did reset by seeing the white westinghouse logo when the tv turned on again but there was no change. is there a firmware update? i've searched the westinghouse website and couldn't find anything except downloads for the manuals.

biggericeberg
Gerbil In Training

Re: Another (easier) solution

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:19 pm

The guy who posted this is right on the money... I bought the same unit in 2007 and a year ago today I had same problems with the HDMI connections - detecting followed by a no input signal. All 4 HDMI connections were lost yet composite connections worked fine. The firmware as not been updated on the tv since Sept 7, 2007 version 5112_1.2.0.

It seems for me the problem appears related to a main power grid outage that triggers the hdmi 'keystore' to be corrupted...

Solution: All I did was disconnect all hdmi cables, then disconnected the main power cord to the tv and waited 5 minutes and then reconnect all hdmi cables back to same inputs on the tv and reconnect the main power. The tv will reboot (white logo appears) and come back on with all hdmi connections restored. I have repeated the same on 3 occasions now to fix the same problem.

It's a nuisance when it crashes but the procedure solves the problem. Will report further if this fails in future.

hughgo wrote:
I had the same problem with my 3 week old Westinhouse TX42F430S - none of the 4 HDMI ports would detect an input signal.

The quick fix for me was to "reset" the TV by doing the following:

1) turn it off using the side power button.
2) press and HOLD the side power button for at least 10 seconds, then release.

If you've done it correctly the TV should turn on and display the white "W" Westinghouse logo, indicating that it is performing a full system reset.

This seems to have permanently corrected the problem for me. I guess the previous poster's fix of unplugging everything and waiting a minute (some say an hour) essentially causes the same "reset" procedure to occur, but I think the 10 second power button trick is much easier.

The explanation I read on another forum was related to the HDCP copy protection algorithms used by the HDMI ports. Apparently the source devices (cable box, Blu ray player, etc) perform a protocol "handshake" with the TV's HDMI ports to exchange encryption keys before they can transmit a signal to the TV. It seems that occasionally the TV's HDMI "keystore" can get corrupted and the source device refuses to send a signal (hence the "no input signal detected" message on the TV) On the TX42F430S all four HDMI ports share the same single HDMI circuitry (they use a "hub" to provide 4 ports) so a corrupted keystore will effect all 4 ports at once.

By doing the 10-second power button reset (or unplugging everything and waiting some amount of time) the HDCP keystore cache is cleared and the devices are able to renegotiate the crypo keys.

Alas, gone are the days when you could just plug in a cable and have it work. :-(

zebrawood
Gerbil In Training

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:43 pm

After all these helpful posts, I have one more tip to add. It is an advantage here to hook up a DVD player, or Blu Ray player to one of the HDMI inputs. Every few years I go through this routine, forgetting the details, and this time an Xbox and FIOS box hooked up to the inputs didn't make things right for a few days, until I hooked up a Blu Ray player, then it worked. For what it's worth.....