Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Problem with camera...

Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:17 pm

I just got a Canon Powershot SD750. It's a very nice camera, other than the fact that whenever I try to connect to the computer via USB (I have no card reader), it recognizes the camera but it won't show me any kind of storage drive for the pictures, and the programs that came with it can't find a camera at all. I've looked for drivers or software updates but failed to find anything. I'm yet to try a different cable but I don't think that's it, since Windows does recognize that there's a Canon plugged into it.

Any help? I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers as well as the included software, and I've tried rebooting several times.
"Here we stand at the threshold of paradise, stealing a new world. I never would have thought our place in history would come to this, but we are infinite. We are one."
-Spencer Sotelo

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Problem with camera...

Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:39 pm

Hmm, not recognizing it as a mass storage device. Do you have a USB1.x device in the same hub? It may be the camera is unable to be accessed properly on < 2.0

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:54 pm

Is there a setting on the camera for how it connects to the computer. I seem to remember my a520/a620 having one that toggled between Windows seeing it as a camera or just a storage drive.

It potentially might be showing up as just a camera. Is it listed in My computer (not as a drive letter).

Also, do yourself a favor and buy a card reader. If you have space, intergrated one's are really nice.

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:55 pm

liquidsquid wrote:
Hmm, not recognizing it as a mass storage device. Do you have a USB1.x device in the same hub? It may be the camera is unable to be accessed properly on < 2.0

Well it is an older motherboard, so it might not have USB 2.0. I've always had some minor problems with USB devices on it. I went to check it out on my mom's dell and it works perfectly. *sigh* I guess it's time to buy a PCI to USB card.
"Here we stand at the threshold of paradise, stealing a new world. I never would have thought our place in history would come to this, but we are infinite. We are one."
-Spencer Sotelo

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:57 pm

The P5ND2-SLI definitely has USB 2.0. It has 10 of them actually.
$14 = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820132016

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:57 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Is there a setting on the camera for how it connects to the computer. I seem to remember my a520/a620 having one that toggled between Windows seeing it as a camera or just a storage drive.

It potentially might be showing up as just a camera. Is it listed in My computer (not as a drive letter).

Also, do yourself a favor and buy a card reader. If you have space, intergrated one's are really nice.

That's another thing I'm considering. Although what I REALLY need to buy is a whole new motherboard and processor, but I don't have that kind of money right now >.<

I've got 3 more open 5.25" bays and a 3.5" bay... what do you guys recommend for a good/cheap card reader, preferably with one or more USB 2.0 ports somewhere on it?

Oh, and there's no settings on the camera for transfers.
-Spencer Sotelo

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:59 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
The P5ND2-SLI definitely has USB 2.0. It has 10 of them actually.
$14 = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820132016

Ahh. Thanks. I think the USB controller is just messed up or something.

Er... is it possible for the controller to be congested? I have all of the 4 ports filled right now: one keyboard, one mouse, one external DVD burner, and the camera.
-Spencer Sotelo

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:02 pm

That shouldn't be a problem.
Do you have the latest drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4 ... _7.15.html
Also, what about the latest windows updates?

If you need more ports, another USB header is pretty cheap: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815124049

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:07 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
That shouldn't be a problem.
Do you have the latest drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4 ... _7.15.html
Also, what about the latest windows updates?

If you need more ports, another USB header is pretty cheap: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815124049

Well, my copy of Windows isn't exactly legit, and I was told to disable the updates or my copy can be deactivated. I heard there was a way around that, and I heard from somebody else that it's bull to begin with. I'm still a software n00b soo I don't know who to listen to lol. You know anything about that?

And I'll see if a driver update helps.

EDIT: BTW, my copy is XP Pro 32-bit with SP2, if that helps.
Last edited by mafropetee on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Spencer Sotelo

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:08 pm

mafropetee wrote:
Well, my copy of Windows isn't exactly legit...

Well in that case, have a nice day.

step1: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6832116204
steps 2,3:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_win ... 15.01.html
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catal ... on-vista64
Last edited by Usacomp2k3 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:48 pm

mafropetee wrote:
Well, my copy of Windows isn't exactly legit, and I was told to disable the updates or my copy can be deactivated.

Pirates get no help here. Buy a copy of XP and you'll get many more responses, not to mention needed updates.

Nex ut pirates.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:05 am

Captain Ned wrote:
mafropetee wrote:
Well, my copy of Windows isn't exactly legit, and I was told to disable the updates or my copy can be deactivated.

Pirates get no help here. Buy a copy of XP and you'll get many more responses, not to mention needed updates.

Nex ut pirates.

I know, I know. But I'm trying to save up for a new build, so dropping about $100 on a new copy of XP for a system that won't be in use in about a month or two just seems silly.

I guess I'll just have to kick my photobucket into overdrive for now. Thanks for the help =)
-Spencer Sotelo

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:06 am

mafropetee wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
mafropetee wrote:

Nex ut pirates.

I know, I know. But I'm trying to save up for a new build, so dropping about $100 on a new copy of XP for a system that won't be in use in about a month or two just seems silly.

I guess I'll just have to kick my photobucket into overdrive for now. Thanks for the help =)

Just buy the retail version of Vista and take it with you to the next build.

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:11 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

I don't even have $100 to my name right now, let alone $218 lol. But that is a good idea. After my next two paychecks I should be able to afford it.
-Spencer Sotelo

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:19 am

mafropetee wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

I don't even have $100 to my name right now, let alone $218 lol. But that is a good idea. After my next two paychecks I should be able to afford it.

Well your new camera cost $210...

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:42 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
mafropetee wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Well your new camera cost $210...

My mom bought it. It's "ours," but I'm gonna hog it as much as I can.
-Spencer Sotelo

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:13 am

mafropetee wrote:
My mom bought it. It's "ours," but I'm gonna hog it as much as I can.

I can understand that.