Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

My new TV

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:25 pm

32" LG Plasma
I know it's not top of the line, but it was on sale for $699, and I got an extra $100 off for sinking 1 putt. This will be a huge upgrade from my ever aging 25" CRT. 32" is the biggest I can fit in my wall unit, so this will fill it nicely.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: My new TV

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:38 pm

Not an HDTV :(

oh well, it's still pretty sweet.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:45 pm

Heh, they call it hdtv though. Seems an odd time for an EDTV to me, but I'm sure it's a nice display. Pricier than my 100" EDTV, although I'm sure it's far better in bright rooms.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:47 pm

It's nice to get a new TV, but I'd choose HDTV if I had $1000 to spend.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:52 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
It's nice to get a new TV, but I'd choose HDTV if I had $1000 to spend.

Actually....I don't. I got this and a couple other appliances on a "Don't pay for 16 months" deal. No financing fee, and no delivery charge.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:40 pm

32" plasma? That's cool. I didn't know they made them that small...thought 37" was the smallest they went.

That EDTV will look great with standard DVDs, Hoser. Make sure you feed it! :)

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:13 pm

I think i need to find an RCA to composite adapter. I'll have to check the connections on the back of my DVD player.

edit - nope, it has component out. Now I gotta go to FutureShop and get me some cables. :D
-Unknown Veteran

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:49 pm

32" is the biggest screen size that will fit in my wall unit. (I said that in the text you quoted :wink: )If I could get a bigger screen I would have.
-Unknown Veteran

Taddeusz
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:12 pm

I know you stated your physical constraints. I already have a 32" tube TV. I'm eying the 42" 1080p Westy. It's currently going for $1000 on Newegg.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:21 pm

Give me $100 and I'll build you a new entertainment center. :wink:

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:45 pm

Eh, I watch TV on a 13" CRT in my bedroom every night. 32" would be huge compared to that. :)

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:14 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
Vrock wrote:
I watch TV on a 13" CRT

Through a telescope? :o :o

kaleidescope :wink:

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:31 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
Get a different wall unit then. You can't really enjoy watching TV on a 32" set unless you are literally 2 feet in front of it. :lol:

You can't? Well I guess I should get ride of the two 32" LCD that I have. Seem to work fine for me.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:45 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
z-man wrote:
PerfectCr wrote:
Get a different wall unit then. You can't really enjoy watching TV on a 32" set unless you are literally 2 feet in front of it. :lol:

You can't? Well I guess I should get ride of the two 32" LCD that I have. Seem to work fine for me.

I never said they didn't work. I said "you really can't enjoy" (read it again, seriously, reading comprehension FTW!) watching TV at normal viewing distance (6-8ft. maybe more) on a 32" screen.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/view ... lator.html

I did read it tyvm. You said 2 feet. Considering my small rooms and space, 4-5 is the normal viewing distance. 32" works just fine. And I enjoy it just fine. I can't help it you have size issues. :wink:

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:45 pm

We just got a new toy in at work. Overkill for a conference room, but whatever. It was actually cheaper than the 720p one. I'm going to try to bring my xbox in tomorrow :wink:

Taddeusz

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:54 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
I never said they didn't work. I said "you really can't enjoy" (read it again, seriously, reading comprehension FTW!) watching TV at normal viewing distance (6-8ft. maybe more) on a 32" screen.

I enjoy my 32" tube quite well, thank you very much. My viewing distance is approximately 6 feet. Give or take. I definitely don't need to be two feet away from it to enjoy it.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:19 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
z-man wrote:
PerfectCr wrote:

I guess people only started enjoying TV quite recently and the vast majority of people don't enjoy it. :roll:

lex-ington

Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:35 pm

I have a 32" LCD in my living room and think its perfect.

HOSER . . . . . .AVOID FUTURESHOP. I know you have a Canada Computers in Hamilton. go there - http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.ph ... cid=CA.383
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:52 pm

someday I'm going to get a TV

<----is still watching on a 32", 15 year old TV
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:01 pm

Vrock wrote:
Eh, I watch TV on a 13" CRT in my bedroom every night. 32" would be huge compared to that. :)

Bedroom TV's usually get the shaft. Mine's a 19", but it's still smaller than the one in my living room. Of course, you could combine both of my TV's and not get what's in your living room. :lol:

That's a nice set, Hoser, but I'm curious why you didn't get a 32" LCD instead, mostly to see if it's something I should avoid. I've been looking at 32" LCD's (yes, the bastardized 768p ones, but to my eyes and for my usage - mostly game consoles and movies played on said consoles which can output 768p - it'll be fine) and there seem to be a wealth of similarly-priced and similar-quality panels at that size. Like you, it's the very largest my entertainment unit will hold (and it'll be a tight fit; side-mounted speakers will make it too wide, so they'll have to be below the screen). Should make my 27" CRT look awful no matter what. Which it is - lots of bright, stationary colors make the tint turn purple on one half of the screen and green on the other half...piece of ****)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:43 pm

lex-ington wrote:

HOSER . . . . . .AVOID FUTURESHOP. I know you have a Canada Computers in Hamilton. go there - http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.ph ... cid=CA.383

Thanx! :D :D

Futureshop only had the $140 & $200 Monster Cable sets. :o No thanx. The salesman tried to tell me that I "needed" them for the best viewing experience. I told him to go away. :lol:

I also need a set of component cables. I'll get those tomorrow.

I also set up an appointment to get digital cable next Wednesday.

Good times. :)
-Unknown Veteran

lex-ington

Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:54 pm

Hoser wrote:
lex-ington wrote:

Thanx! :D :D

Futureshop only had the $140 & $200 Monster Cable sets. :o No thanx. The salesman tried to tell me that I "needed" them for the best viewing experience. I told him to go away. :lol:

I also need a set of component cables. I'll get those tomorrow.

I also set up an appointment to get digital cable next Wednesday.

Good times. :)

I hope your digital experience is better than mine. I have rogers digital cable right now and I hate it. Compared to Bell's cable "cable for condo's" (digital signals through your phone line), rogers looks like crap. But that's my experience only - take with a grain of salt.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:25 am

PerfectCr wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
I guess people only started enjoying TV quite recently and the vast majority of people don't enjoy it. :roll:
Well if you have no choice, obviously you are going to tell yourself you enjoy it! Duh.

My house has 2 living rooms in it top and bottom floor. Both rooms are 16X25 so the viewing distance on our TV's is 20+ feet in both rooms. One room has a 57 inch HDTV and the other room has a plain old 32 inch crt. We spend probably twice as much time watching the 32 inch tv as we do the 57. If size was really that important we would never turn the 32 incher on.

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:52 am

Vrock wrote:

Why would you have a bedroom TV? Isn't one in the house enough, especially if no one is watching the other one?

My first TV when I moved out was a 7" from the 60s, the thing was colour (mostly), mono, had a 5 minute warm up period and in a 20x8x8" box. That lasted me 2 years until it broke.
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:59 am

dragmor wrote:
Vrock wrote:

Why would you have a bedroom TV? Isn't one in the house enough, especially if no one is watching the other one?

My first TV when I moved out was a 7" from the 60s, the thing was colour (mostly), mono, had a 5 minute warm up period and in a 20x8x8" box. That lasted me 2 years until it broke.

*cough*adult videos*cough*

We have 3 tv's right now. That way all three of us can watch what we want. My wife watches stuff that makes me want to drive an ice pick through my eyes so it is either go blind or watch stuff on a different tv

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:13 am

dragmor wrote:
Why would you have a bedroom TV?
It's a TV I've had since college. I have it set up in my bedroom so we can watch TV in bed. The girlfriend also uses it when she's folding laundry or doing something in the bedroom.

dragmor wrote:
Isn't one in the house enough, especially if no one is watching the other one?
I have four TVs in the house, if you must know. And yes, quite often two of them are watching different things at the same time.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:17 am

PerfectCr wrote:
Vrock wrote:
I watch TV on a 13" CRT

It's funny, I have a 50" downstairs in my movie room and a 43" in the living room, but I'm perfectly fine with the 13" in the bedroom. I honestly don't notice how small it is. Usually I'm watching something like Mythbusters or Futurama reruns or something on it so I don't feel the need to be enveloped by the picture.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:35 am

Vrock wrote:
PerfectCr wrote:
Vrock wrote:
I watch TV on a 13" CRT

It's funny, I have a 50" downstairs in my movie room and a 43" in the living room, but I'm perfectly fine with the 13" in the bedroom. I honestly don't notice how small it is. Usually I'm watching something like Mythbusters or Futurama reruns or something on it so I don't feel the need to be enveloped by the picture.

What do you think of the new episodes of Mythbusters ? The ones where they are trying to act instead of just laying out the facts and testing the myth. Personally I almost cant stand to watch the newer episodes.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:37 am

I hadn't noticed any difference. Hmm.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:47 am

Hance wrote:
What do you think of the new episodes of Mythbusters ? The ones where they are trying to act instead of just laying out the facts and testing the myth. Personally I almost cant stand to watch the newer episodes.

"facts"? Pshaw. I can barely watch the show now.