Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Re: Gun prOn!

Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:47 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
How big are these presses? Keep in mind my current residence is tiny, and I've got a house purchase coming up soon, so no major expenses are really allowable :wink: Ah well...I don't mind reloading in theory, just not sure about the upfront cost on it.

They can range from not big at all (think mid-sized computer case) to ginormous. I haven't priced in years....but I would try to figure in 50% over any estimate because there are always little things that either I forget or aren't exactly right. :-? :wink:
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:58 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
How big are these presses? Keep in mind my current residence is tiny, and I've got a house purchase coming up soon, so no major expenses are really allowable :wink: Ah well...I don't mind reloading in theory, just not sure about the upfront cost on it.

A basic single-stage press stands about 18" high on its own (add 3" or so for the die sticking out the top), and needs to be bolted to a sturdy platform. Your space constraint will not be the press itself, it'll be the table you need to bolt it to.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:49 pm

Yeah...no table available :( My computer desk doesn't have the room and my wife would probably neuter me if I tried to use the dining room table to reload ammo. maybe when I have a house and can have my work room finally--a fish tank on one wall, a table on another and two walls of bookshelves :lol:
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:38 pm

Vrock wrote:
Heh. Yeah, I can still here the hinged metal "tapper" bouncing against the side of the powder dispenser on Dad's old single stage Lyman.

That sound and a whiff of Hoppes No. 9 brings back many memories of ages 8-12 or so. Initally my job was to make sure the cases were properly lubed and to wrangle the primers into the setting die (Dad's rig was so old-school that primer feed was manual as well). I eventually graduated (while in HS) to the level of slave labor cranking out the target rounds for his 7mmRem (he was shooting competitively at the time). I'd crank out the odd box or 2 for my .270Win (Dad's 1st deer rifle, now mine; she's a Model 760 Remington pump-action made in 1953 and she still bitches about headspace with factory ammo) using loads he'd worked up and penciled into his copy of the Lyman Reloading Handbook.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:59 pm

So...my brother brought the 380 auto up, and it's crap. I'm actually going to dispose of it because it's so worthless. Man I've never seen a pistol that crappy before.

But now he left me 100 rounds of 380 ammo and a few accessories...I'm thinking I may get the Bersa .380 thunderclap or something similar for plinking.
Oh, and my CC pistol is getting a trigger job to try to get it down to 7 pound pull. The smithy measured it at 14 :o Damn. It may be a week or two, dunno.

EDIT: Anyone have much knowledge of lever actions chambered for pistol rounds? I just think they sound very fun to shoot. I'm torn between a Puma chambered in .45 colt (or maybe .44 mag) or a Marlin in .45-70...because everyone needs a personal mortar :wink:
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:04 pm

So...got the OK to buy an Uberti Cattleman in .45 Colt. Woooot!! That's gonna be my next one :)

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:29 am

I've been working on two different builds for almost a year now. I completed them both in the past couple days....but my youngest borrowed my camera for the weekend. :evil: Pictures arriving here soon....

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:56 pm

So. Finally found a rifle range. It's a good one, ranges currently out to 200 yards and the city's planning on a 300 yard one :o . Had to leave early today because the wind was horrible--my ammo bag (with 80 rounds of 30-30 in it) was literally shoved about 4 or 5 inches by a bad gust. Not gonna sight in under those conditions. But, screw the revolver. Now I'm gonna get another rifle, probably the 45-70 but possible a 243 or .257 Roberts (if I can find one). May ask Grandpa about his old Roberts and see what he says--has a very nice one he can't shoot anymore.

Oh, and anyone who complains about .30-30 recoil-- :lol: Man that wasn't too different than a .22 magnum it felt like. Some dude in the 200 yard range was shooting something beastly though--some .338 but it wasn't a Winchester (started with an L I think). Made a noise like a damn cannon.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:56 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
So. Finally found a rifle range. It's a good one, ranges currently out to 200 yards and the city's planning on a 300 yard one :o . Had to leave early today because the wind was horrible--my ammo bag (with 80 rounds of 30-30 in it) was literally shoved about 4 or 5 inches by a bad gust. Not gonna sight in under those conditions. But, screw the revolver. Now I'm gonna get another rifle, probably the 45-70 but possible a 243 or .257 Roberts (if I can find one). May ask Grandpa about his old Roberts and see what he says--has a very nice one he can't shoot anymore.

Oh, and anyone who complains about .30-30 recoil-- :lol: Man that wasn't too different than a .22 magnum it felt like. Some dude in the 200 yard range was shooting something beastly though--some .338 but it wasn't a Winchester (started with an L I think). Made a noise like a damn cannon.

.257 Roberts is a fine caliber and has taken many a deer. Shoots pretty flat, as well.

Your range-mate was shooting a .338 Lapua. It sounds like a cannon because it is one. It's a mil-spec sniper cartridge that has trickled down to civvy use.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:58 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
So...got the OK to buy an Uberti Cattleman in .45 Colt. Woooot!! That's gonna be my next one :)
SAA replicas are fun. Get one for each hand. :)

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:34 pm

Ya know I was really exited until I saw the price of ammo for those :o Damn damn damn. Yeah, maybe I can find one chambered for something else....38 special doesn't have the panache of 45 colt but it is a crapton cheaper to shoot.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:09 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Your range-mate was shooting a .338 Lapua. It sounds like a cannon because it is one. It's a mil-spec sniper cartridge that has trickled down to civvy use.
.416 Rigby necked down to .338 and beefed up for higher cartridge pressure? Kicks like a mule and costs a fortune, I expect, but better than ½ MOA and long range is impressive. The rifle was probably equipped with a muzzle brake, and those can bring a lot of the noise from the muzzle blast back to folks standing near the shooter.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:11 pm

So...someone had a Steyr m95 they were selling for 60 bucks, and it looks like it isn't a collector piece, but it will shoot...so I bought it with intent to modify it. Right now it's chambered for 8X56R (good luck finding that!). I'm wandering about some other 8mm rounds...but I'm not sure how well that'd go. Any ideas?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:20 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
So...someone had a Steyr m95 they were selling for 60 bucks, and it looks like it isn't a collector piece, but it will shoot...so I bought it with intent to modify it. Right now it's chambered for 8X56R (good luck finding that!). I'm wandering about some other 8mm rounds...but I'm not sure how well that'd go. Any ideas?

http://www.surplusrifle.com/steyrm95/ammunition.asp

You can buy brass for it and reload, otherwise it seems you'll need to find the right surplus dealer to grab a big lot of ammo.

EDIT: Here's a link for $23.97 + S&H for a 20-round box (scroll down, it's there)

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=194166

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:12 pm

2 boxes ordered, and I'll probably reload from there. Damn. Now all I need is a clip :lol: or maybe just do one round at a time. I've got an uncle-by-marriage in Ohio that has a few old WW1 era firearms, I've emailed him to see if he has any stuff.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:20 pm

It looks like you could purchase 1934 vintage 5-round clips on-line for not too much.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:23 pm

The thing with those older, no longer mass-produced rounds is.....buy all you can or reload (make sure you can pick up the correct dies, brass, etc). Prices only go up with hard to get items, and ammo has gone up a lot (a year ago it was a lot, now it's a lot times 2) recently. I doubt it will ever go back to where is was a few years ago, so make sure to get what you can while you can.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:32 pm

I've got 2 boxes of Hornaday ammunition coming, as well as 3 chargers :D I figure I can start reloading from their brass, since the only mass produced brass I found was A: out of stock and B: ungodly expensive (think 2 bucks per brass).

Damnit I got myself into reloading :evil: But I got an 8mm rifle out of the deal too..

EDIT: the Hornaday stuff is about 1.5 bucks/round including shipping, but of course who knows if it'll be around forever? And well...3 magazines should be enough, they're not a one use thing. 2 bucks each on those...and I have a nice little battle rifle.

Am I a gun nut now? 2 center fires, 1 rim fire, 1 pistol, 1 revolver, 2 shotguns...jesus. I'm only 12 guns down from my grandfather!

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:47 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Am I a gun nut now? 2 center fires, 1 rim fire, 1 pistol, 1 revolver, 2 shotguns...jesus. I'm only 12 guns down from my grandfather!
Well....gun nut is hard to define.

FWIW, you can only reload that brass from those 40 rounds you bought so many times. Eventually they will not resize/trim enough to work for you anymore. I'd pick up at least another 160 rounds....I like round numbers like 200 rounds. Of course, that's what I consider a minimum.

1k of .223, 1k of 7.62, 1k of .22lr, 500rds of .45apc, and 500 rds of .9mm are what I like to keep around for plinking. When you get there, you're an ammo nut. :wink:

IMO, having firearms that you want to plink with makes you a gun nut...but I'm easy like that! 8)

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:05 am

They didn't have 200 of them available :( Damn, I may have to learn how to resize 54R or something. How many reloads can you expect out of decent brass? Are we talking small numbers like 2 or 3, or more like 9 or 10 times? Cause I doubt I'll shoot this thing too much anyhow; it's a 7 lb, short rifle with a steel buttplate chambered in an apparently potent 8mm round :lol: Muzzle blast!
As far as ammo...I generally keep between 100 and 300 rounds available per gun *shrug* So I guess that's close. The only one I keep less than that for is my home defense shotgun (just about 50 shells for it). I think I may be down to 200 for my 9mm and I'm down to 60 rounds for my 30-30. Oh well, when the ammo for the Steyr gets in, I'll go shooting again and replenish. Hoping my uncle has some extra brass laying around. I may work out something with my grandfather to get ahold of his reloading stuff; he used to do custom loads for his stuff to save money as well. I can't blame him; he sort of lived by LFK's 1,000+ rounds per gun philosophy and when you have over a dozen centerfires...

EDIT: (hit enter too soon)
My grandfather has an M1 Garand, a mini-14, a Ruger something or other in .257, 2 .30-06 bolt actions, a .243, an OLD Model 94 Winchester (he inherited it from his grandfather, so 4 generations old), a .270, a 6.5 mm of sort, about 5 different 12 gauge shotguns (some pump, some auto loading, a side-by-side) 2 20 gauge shotguns, I don't know how many .22s and three handguns. He used to have a walk in closet he'd made into a gun/ammo safe. I still envy his arsenal.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:01 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
I still envy his arsenal.
I might be yours someday!

Reloading: Someone else here will know more. My reloading experience is limited. Two signs of when it is time to retire your cases will be loose primer pockets, or split necks. You might get 10 years and countless reloads out of the brass....you might only get a couple. It depends on a number of things, including the softness of the brass used during the original manufacturing and hottness of the load.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:50 pm

No more AR's for me. My cc bill has grown a lot the last few months, and these builds have to be it......for a while.

Wish I took better photos....

6.8 SPC
Bushmaster lower
RRA 16" upper
Magpul furniture
Larue mount w/Nikon 3x9 BDC scope
MSTN brake
ARMS BUIS

.458 SOCOM
MEGA lower
RRA 16" upper
Magpul MIAD grip
Ace stock
Larue mount w/Eotech holographic sight and Aimpoint 3x magnifier

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:18 pm

What, no love for the evil black rifles?

I think they are teh sexy gun pr0n! :wink:

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:28 pm

How much did that top one run? I've got a friend lusting after an AR--problem is he's a fellow non-profit employee, and has very little funding. And 6.8's a damn nice round :)
A social worker with an AR...talk about conflicting stereotypes...

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:23 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
How much did that top one run?
Well, the lower is shared between the 6.8, an M4gery 5.56 upper, and a stainless steel bull barreled 5.56 upper. So it serves triple duty....

The 6.8 upper itself was around $500, the scope was under $150, and the mount was right around $100 (which I think is too much for a dang mount). So in all, I have about $750 into the 6.8 portion of the rifle. :-? It hurts more when I price it all out like that. :x

I am planning on this taking the place of my 7mm rem mag next deer season. If it works out, it will take away some of the $$ sting.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:37 am

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
I am planning on this taking the place of my 7mm rem mag next deer season. If it works out, it will take away some of the $$ sting.
6.8 seems like a reasonable and interesting round for that task. I'd feel rather ridiculous hunting with an AR, though.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:44 am

I've never hunted and so am unfamiliar with the rules, but don't they restrict the magazine capacity in most places when you're using a semi-auto?

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:47 am

mattsteg wrote:
6.8 seems like a reasonable and interesting round for that task. I'd feel rather ridiculous hunting with an AR, though.

Guess that depends on who you hunt with.

When I was hunting mule deer in Id. medium ranged scoped rifles with plenty of foot pounds of energy were where it was at. Out in the flats around Billings, Mt. it was long range with flat trajectory. Still hunting white tail in Minnesota and I was surprised by the number of shotgun hunters...

Why would a semi-auto 6.8 make you feel ridiculous? Would you feel the same about a Remington or Browning semi-auto chambered in the same caliber? Is it the stigma attached to the AR family of rifle?

I'm actually looking forward to using my AR for more than just shooting paper. :wink:

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:49 am

Ragnar Dan wrote:
I've never hunted and so am unfamiliar with the rules, but don't they restrict the magazine capacity in most places when you're using a semi-auto?

NY, NJ, Maine, and Califonia do. It's limited to 5 or 10 rounds, depending on the state.

They make 5, 10, 16, 20, and 25 round magazines for the 6.8 SPC....so it wouldn't be hard to meet the state requirements in those states.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:02 am

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
mattsteg wrote:

Guess that depends on who you hunt with.

When I was hunting mule deer in Id. medium ranged scoped rifles with plenty of foot pounds of energy were where it was at. Out in the flats around Billings, Mt. it was long range with flat trajectory. Still hunting white tail in Minnesota and I was surprised by the number of shotgun hunters...

Why would a semi-auto 6.8 make you feel ridiculous? Would you feel the same about a Remington or Browning semi-auto chambered in the same caliber? Is it the stigma attached to the AR family of rifle?

I'm actually looking forward to using my AR for more than just shooting paper. :wink:
More than anything, I guess I'm a bit of a "traditionalist" in terms of hunting firearm selection. It's not really stigma (although it might be to some extent) as much as it's an attachment to traditional style, to be honest. If the dim recesses of my mind serve me properly, I think I've hunted with someone using a BAR before, so based on that I probably wouldn't feel the same. Maybe it would just feel like "too much gun" and not as sporting or something. I truly don't exactly know, other than feeling that an AR or similar would (for me) feel really out of place anywhere except at a range.

I'd feel differently odd with a shotgun as well - their popularity in MN is largely regional, and much of it confined to the shotgun-only zone.