Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Re: My new TV

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:13 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Hance wrote:
What do you think of the new episodes of Mythbusters ? The ones where they are trying to act instead of just laying out the facts and testing the myth. Personally I almost cant stand to watch the newer episodes.

"facts"? Pshaw. I can barely watch the show now.

Same here I can sit through it but barely. If something else interesting is on more than likely I will skip Mythbusters. I thought the new show called Smash Lab was going to be cool but I dont really care for it either.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:27 am

Yeah, it looked like it had potential, but hasn't really fit my fancy. I have the DVR set to record it, but I've watched the first 3 I think :P

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:34 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
That's a nice set, Hoser, but I'm curious why you didn't get a 32" LCD instead, mostly to see if it's something I should avoid. I've been looking at 32" LCD's (yes, the bastardized 768p ones, but to my eyes and for my usage - mostly game consoles and movies played on said consoles which can output 768p - it'll be fine) and there seem to be a wealth of similarly-priced and similar-quality panels at that size. Like you, it's the very largest my entertainment unit will hold (and it'll be a tight fit; side-mounted speakers will make it too wide, so they'll have to be below the screen). Should make my 27" CRT look awful no matter what. Which it is - lots of bright, stationary colors make the tint turn purple on one half of the screen and green on the other half...piece of ****)

I got this one because I like the colour on Plasma's over LCD's. When I saw it advertised in the flyer I thought it was a misprint, but after a quick check on LG's site......they were right. Like Vrock, I didn't know they made 32" Plasma's. Even though it's not HD compatible, it's still miles better than my old set. This was only $699 too. A comparable 32" LCD would be at least $300 more. Even though I don't have a digital signal right now I can notice a difference in the picture. So I would assume it will only get better once I get digital cable next week. I watched Fellowship of the Ring last night and there was a huge difference in picture quality from my old set to this one, and that is not even using the component cables.

The only PITA about all this is that I have to move my wall unit out from the wall to get all the cabling done, which is no easy feat seeing as how the thing is made of solid wood, measures 6.5' h x '6 w, and weighs about 300 pounds. It's on carpet so that's what makes it hard to move.

edit - corrected wall unit specs
Last edited by Hoser on Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:38 am

Can you mount it on the wall? That would be my main reason for getting a new TV, to ditch the cumbersome entertainment unit entirely.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:46 am

idchafee wrote:
Can you mount it on the wall? That would be my main reason for getting a new TV, to ditch the cumbersome entertainment unit entirely.

I suppose I could, but that would mean finding a place for all the stuff in the wall unit, and then getting a new cabinet to store all the audio/video stuff. I'll post before & after pics this afternoon.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:03 pm

With the old 25"

With the new 32"

Doh! I had the picture set to 4:3 for the pic. :-?
-Unknown Veteran

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:40 pm

Hoser wrote:
Doh! I had the picture set to 4:3 for the pic. :-?
As you should when watching 4:3 content.

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:41 pm

Oh dam!!! Had to get rid of the candles huh? bummer. :lol:
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:53 pm

I actually have a bit of a technical question. I recently picked up a Daenyx 40inch LCD television from Walmart. It's not 1080P and it's not a big name but the total cost for the tv a regular dvd player and a nice stand came to 920 bucks. I have a couple of questions though. For an extra 190 bucks I could have gone up 2 inches and gotten a 1080P television.

To my understanding for a tv less than 50 inches it's a waste of money to spend a bunch of money on a 1080P 40 inch tv if you are more than 6 feet away (which I am). Also, am I really missing anything going with a bit cheaper brand?

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:29 pm

MaxTheLimit wrote:
To my understanding for a tv less than 50 inches it's a waste of money to spend a bunch of money on a 1080P 40 inch tv if you are more than 6 feet away (which I am).
Eh, not really. With 1080p TVs you don't have to worry about downscaling 1080i and 1080p content and the associated artifacts that go along with it.

MaxTheLimit wrote:
Also, am I really missing anything going with a bit cheaper brand?
Look at it this way: a TV is something you're going to keep for many years. Given that, and given the fact that you're literally going to be using it every day, and that you stare at it when you use it, why would you try to save a few bucks by going with an off brand? I don't get it. The whole reason behind going HD is for the quality. So why skimp?

But yes, you probably are missing quite a bit by going with a cheapie LCD. Even some better LCDs have problems like backlight bleeding, banding, poor viewing angles, poor blacks/shadow details, subpar video processing, and innaccurate color reproduction...and likely, those problems are going to be more evident on cheap LCDs.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:00 pm

Well I'm not overly interested in colour correct-ness as I'm a bit colour blind so I am not good with colour anyhow (I still see enough colour to hate this new forum theme though). As far as I know Blue ray is the only available source that is sending out full 1080P. HDTV only sends out 720P doesn't it? As for the tv itself it was sitting beside a nice 42inch sony plasma, and I wasn't really able to tell much difference.

As for artifacts aren't they a null issue when using 720P over 1080i?

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:23 pm

MaxTheLimit wrote:
Well I'm not overly interested in colour correct-ness as I'm a bit colour blind so I am not good with colour anyhow (I still see enough colour to hate this new forum theme though).
What about the other six or seven issues I mentioned?

MaxTheLimit wrote:
As far as I know Blue ray is the only available source that is sending out full 1080P.
HD-DVD does too.

MaxTheLimit wrote:
HDTV only sends out 720P doesn't it?
Or 1080i. 1080i is actually the more common resolution.

MaxTheLimit wrote:
As for the tv itself it was sitting beside a nice 42inch sony plasma, and I wasn't really able to tell much difference.
Sony doesn't make plasmas anymore, they haven't for a couple of years.

MaxTheLimit wrote:
As for artifacts aren't they a null issue when using 720P over 1080i?
If it's a true 720p panel, then yes. But broadcast 720p isn't all that common, and most 720p panels are really 768p, so there's scaling involved anyway.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:45 pm

Vrock wrote:
What about the other six or seven issues I mentioned?

HD-DVD does too.

Or 1080i. 1080i is actually the more common resolution.

Sony doesn't make plasmas anymore, they haven't for a couple of years.

If it's a true 720p panel, then yes. But broadcast 720p isn't all that common, and most 720p panels are really 768p, so there's scaling involved anyway.

I'm actually not up too much on the tv scene, and the corresponding technology. The other issues you mentioned I was trying to say I didn't see on the Sony Plasma tv which was supposed to be better (but apparently was just some real old model). 1080i is effected by ghosting an such is that correct where as the progressive scan 720p and 1080P are not effected so much if at all by this?

This one seems to be 768P so it is scaling like you said anyhow. How much effect on the picture will this have?

By the way the one I got was this one:

http://www.walmart.ca/wps-portal/storelocator/Canada-FeaturedPage.jsp?selection=listingDetails&tabId=1&singledept=null&lang=&assetId=28517&imageId=39989&suggestedItem=&priceType=1&page=null&departmentId=63&categoryId=350

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:35 pm

I'd say it's definitely worth the $190 difference. Don't forget that some games on the xbox and ps3 will look better on a 1080p panel versus a 768p one (I do know that the xbox 360 has an option to output in 1366x768 so you don't have to worry about crappy TV scalers for games/movies).

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:28 pm

Bah! Consoles.

For the most part I only watch tv on Saturday when hockey comes on. I'm only on simple analog cable. I'm not much for brand loyalty or anything, so is there anything specific I should be looking for so far as technical components the television should have? Like a certain up or downscaling better? I'd rather not be an idiot about this forever. Every place I go to though has contradicting information

"1080P is nothing but hype. If you only have a 40 inch tv 1080P is worthless"
"1080P will be important no matter what, you will see a difference if you have a 1080P source"

I looked at a few different technical sites explaining things but there seems to be an ability to skew the data to make it seem like their point is correct.

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:18 am

Hance wrote:
*cough*adult videos*cough*

pfft, all the good adult videos are on the net/computer and two people sitting on a chair is more fun.

Vrock wrote:
dragmor wrote:
Isn't one in the house enough, especially if no one is watching the other one?
I have four TVs in the house, if you must know. And yes, quite often two of them are watching different things at the same time.

Hance wrote:
We have 3 tv's right now. That way all three of us can watch what we want. My wife watches stuff that makes me want to drive an ice pick through my eyes so it is either go blind or watch stuff on a different tv

Maybe its because I don't watch much TV and grew up with only 4 people in the house but I can't see the need for extra TV's. At least nothing that a VCR won't fix. I can see the want but it just seem wasteful, money that could be better spent on something else.

Vrock, its you and your girl right? Why not sell the 2 extra TV's and use the money for something else?
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:28 am

dragmor wrote:
Vrock, its you and your girl right? Why not sell the 2 extra TV's and use the money for something else?
I don't want to sell them because we have uses for them. The new 50" SXRD 1080p is in my movie/media room, it's not going anywhere. The seven year old 43" Sony rear projection HD CRT upstairs is in the living room, it's the most watched TV in the house. The nigh-on ten year old Sony Trinitron 27" CRT in the guest bedroom downstairs is for guests, and I also use it occasionally to watch the odd laserdisc. The ten year old 13" CRT in my bedroom gets use almost every night. All these TVs are long since paid for, and 3 of them are several years old and aren't worth much these days as they're CRTs. They're far more useful to me as functioning TVs then they would be converted into $100-200 cash. Your concept of "wasteful" confuses me.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:33 am

MaxTheLimit wrote:
1080i is effected by ghosting an such is that correct where as the progressive scan 720p and 1080P are not effected so much if at all by this?
Not sure what you mean by ghosting. Jaggies in fast motion?

MaxTheLimit wrote:
This one seems to be 768P so it is scaling like you said anyhow. How much effect on the picture will this have?
It will generally make things look a bit softer than they should. If you don't have a reference display to compare it to, you probably won't notice

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:47 pm

Vrock wrote:
dragmor wrote:
I don't want to sell them because we have uses for them. The new 50" SXRD 1080p is in my movie/media room, it's not going anywhere. The seven year old 43" Sony rear projection HD CRT upstairs is in the living room, it's the most watched TV in the house. The nigh-on ten year old Sony Trinitron 27" CRT in the guest bedroom downstairs is for guests, and I also use it occasionally to watch the odd laserdisc. The ten year old 13" CRT in my bedroom gets use almost every night. All these TVs are long since paid for, and 3 of them are several years old and aren't worth much these days as they're CRTs. They're far more useful to me as functioning TVs then they would be converted into $100-200 cash. Your concept of "wasteful" confuses me.

My concept of "wasteful" is something that you are not using but could be better used by someone else, hence the sold for a little cash or donated to someone. It also covers appliance that aren't used often but are left plugged in and using power. I wouldn't have a separate movie and living room but I can understand why you would want it (since your such a movie buff). But to me the guest room tv is wasteful. It would be strange for a guest to come over and watch tv in their room instead of the living room or your movie room and the rest of the time its not watched. The guest TV is still above the average tv in quality I'm sure someone in your community would have a better use for it.
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:52 am

dragmor wrote:
Vrock wrote:
dragmor wrote:

My concept of "wasteful" is something that you are not using but could be better used by someone else, hence the sold for a little cash or donated to someone. It also covers appliance that aren't used often but are left plugged in and using power. I wouldn't have a separate movie and living room but I can understand why you would want it (since your such a movie buff). But to me the guest room tv is wasteful. It would be strange for a guest to come over and watch tv in their room instead of the living room or your movie room and the rest of the time its not watched. The guest TV is still above the average tv in quality I'm sure someone in your community would have a better use for it.
Jesus, what are you, a communist? Why are you trying to redestribute my televisions for the greater good? Why do you care what I use them for or how often I use them? It's none of your business. Next thing you're going to tell me I should sell my house because it has four bedrooms and only two people live in it, because hey, someone could be better utilizing my house! :roll:

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:02 am

TV Hoarder!!! :wink:

lex-ington

Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:14 pm

Bedroom Hoarder!!! :wink:

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:41 pm

Hey, as long as we're doing a TV redistribution, any of your TV's would be an upgrade for me Vrock

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:51 pm

idchafee wrote:
Hey, as long as we're doing a TV redistribution, any of your TV's would be an upgrade for me Vrock

You should be buying an HDTV before getting a PS3 IMHO :wink:

Thinking about people hooking up a PS3 to a SDTV hurts my brain.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:36 pm

lex-ington

Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:38 pm

Because you get 2.2 channels of sound instead of 2.1!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:45 pm

Why not? LED backlighting is a significant feature.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:05 pm

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
You should be buying an HDTV before getting a PS3 IMHO :wink:

Thinking about people hooking up a PS3 to a SDTV hurts my brain.

But see, a PS3 at $300 isn't anywhere near as big a dent in the motorcycle budget as a $2000 TV. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a new TV. I'd love a motorcycle more.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:18 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Because it's arguably the best LCD on the market?

Seriously, that's an LED backlit LCD that can adjust the backlighting on separate parts of the screen. Which means better contrast and truer blacks.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:43 pm

Vrock wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Because it's arguably the best LCD on the market?

Seriously, that's an LED backlit LCD that can adjust the backlighting on separate parts of the screen. Which means better contrast and truer blacks.

I didn't realize those were double the cost. It's not 120hz is it?