Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

AAFL

Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:31 am

http://www.allamericanfootballleague.com/
So this is a new league that is forming that is basically an extension to college. (I'm about to run to class, so follow the link for more info).
Anyway, so apparently Chris Leak is coming back to play as Team Florida's quarterback! Woohoo. We're hoping to get season tickets ($13/pop isn't too bad, and UF students/alumni get first dibs).

I really think this has the potential to be successful, and I'm all for supporting a system that does put education first.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: AAFL

Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:06 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I really think this has the potential to be successful, and I'm all for supporting a system that does put education first.

And the people who started the USFL and XFL thought the same thing.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:22 pm

z-man wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

And the people who started the USFL and XFL thought the same thing.

Except that this is more an extension to NCAA than it is a completely independent league. I also think that by getting some names that people know from college, that will definitely help. (Leak being a great example).
The All American Football League™ is a for-profit, professional football league.

Teams will initially operate as divisions of League whose football operations will be run by a quasi-independent board and General Manager. Some of the League's teams will be hosted by universities with Division IA football programs and other teams will play in independent venues. Games will be scheduled in the spring and early summer.

League teams will employ only those players who have both completed their college football eligibility and earned a four-year degree. This policy is expected to have a very positive impact on universities' NCAA Graduation Success Rate and their Academic Progress Rate. To the extent practical, graduates of host universities will play for the team hosted by their alma mater.

The League intends that each League team will sell memberships to its fans and supporters. Members may be entitled to renewable season tickets in preferred locations, preferred parking, and other "insider" benefits. The League also hopes to provide Members access to high-definition private broadcasts of League games.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:55 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Except that this is more an extension to NCAA than it is a completely independent league. I also think that by getting some names that people know from college, that will definitely help. (Leak being a great example).

Doesn't matter it has been proven time again people will watch College and/or the NFL after that it won't work. It has been tried and failed more then once. If the likes of Herschel Walker, Craig James, Marcus Dupree, Brian Sipe, Doug Flutie, Mike Rozier, Reggie White, Jim Kelly, Steve Young, Anthony Carter, Etc, can't keep the USFL up what makes you think Leak can sustain this one?

Oh and it is another league.

The All American Football League™ is a for-profit, professional football league.

Says so right there.

BTW outside of Florida none one cares about Leak. He wasn't good enough to make the NFL. And this goes for every major College program, they have all had amazing college players who didn't cut it in the NFL.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:01 pm

z-man wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Doesn't matter it has been proven time again people will watch College and/or the NFL after that it won't work. It has been tried and failed more then once. If the likes of Herschel Walker, Craig James, Marcus Dupree, Brian Sipe, Doug Flutie, Mike Rozier, Reggie White, Jim Kelly, Steve Young, Anthony Carter, Etc, can't keep the USFL up what makes you think Leak can sustain this one?

Oh and it is another league.

Says so right there.

BTW outside of Florida none one cares about Leak. He wasn't good enough to make the NFL. And this goes for every major College program, they have all had amazing college players who didn't cut it in the NFL.

I'm just saying that for people like me, I see this as a good thing. I honestly much prefer college football to NFL. The games are more fun to watch and the rivalries are much more exciting.
Maybe that's just me though. We'll see if people agree/disagree with me depending on how this league does :wink:

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:29 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
We'll see if people agree/disagree with me depending on how this league does :wink:

That is what I am trying to tell you the public at large doesn't support a third league. Would I like more football, sure, but the product gets diluted down or sensationalized too much (re:XFL) Plus the general public gets its Aug - Jan fix and it seems to want a break after that. Hence why the USFL failed.

I'm not sure why doesn't work. Just that it doesn't.
Last edited by zgirl on Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:31 pm

edit: nevermind, I'm a retard
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:51 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... d=tab3pos2
But the AAFL has no intention of competing with anyone, and that might be its saving grace. Instead, it's trying to appeal to the kind of (typically Southern) dude who dreams of a universe where college football never ends.

"What will make this league different is the relationship it will have to the university system, and the fact that its players will be recognizable to fans," says AAFL acting commissioner Cedric Dempsey. "We will only go where the interest in spring football is already very, very intense. A place like Gainesville, Florida, is probably a make-or-break city." Other universities that have signed options to host games include Purdue, North Carolina State and the aforementioned universities in Knoxville and Tuscaloosa. AAFL clubs will use existing stadiums and facilities at each college.

That definitely defines much of the attitude around this part of the country. I would if those in other Southern states would agree. (I'm looking at you, JAE).

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:31 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
(I'm looking at you, JAE).
:o

What will the quality of the product be? NFL Europe was lame because the players just weren't very good.

cass
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:50 pm

When it said "All American" I thought they were going to be advertising players purposely jacked on HGH, steroids, and "flackseed oil", and playing games on the river in egypt.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:26 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
(I'm looking at you, JAE).
:o

What will the quality of the product be? NFL Europe was lame because the players just weren't very good.

The same as NFL euro. It is going to be all the leftover players who were not good enough to make NFL squads.

As for competing, look as the USFL it ran it's season when the NFL wasn't playing.

You might not be competing against the NFL directly but you do need to draw fans. If you are not getting them you are not going to be successful.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:33 pm

z-man wrote:
The same as NFL euro. It is going to be all the leftover players who were not good enough to make NFL squads.

I thought that was the CFL?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:44 am

Captain Ned wrote:
z-man wrote:

I thought that was the CFL?

It was both, now sadly is it just the CFL again. But just think you'll have the AAFL too!

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:23 pm

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:58 pm

mattsteg wrote:

Did they even play a game?

At any rate, it won't work. I was a season ticket holder for the XFL's Chicago Enforcers. The players just weren't that good, and all the funky camera angles and "inside access" couldn't change that,
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:16 pm

That's very interesting news. We have our tickets already, so we'll be watching how this develops.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:50 pm

well that was quick
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:41 pm

If I recall the USFL got screwed over by the NFL. I went to a Panthers game :D

The XFL seemed like a good idea with bad execution.

I truly think there is room for another football league. It needs to be more small scale, like minor league or something. However the obstacles to establishing one may be too high.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:10 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
I truly think there is room for another football league. It needs to be more small scale, like minor league or something.

already been done

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:22 pm

idchafee wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:
I truly think there is room for another football league. It needs to be more small scale, like minor league or something.

already been done

I meant actual football.

Not half court indoor almost football.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:25 am

I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. I almost think as much as football is a liked by a broad audience. I think fans get burned out by the saturation of College and Pros over the Aug - January schedule. Then, they kind of need that break to renew their interest. So that by the time August is here they are chomping at the bit again for it. So anything in between suffers from the fan burnout.

As for the USFL they got screwed when Trump got involved and sued the NFL.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:54 pm

z-man wrote:

But....but.....they WON!

all $3 worth

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:06 pm

idchafee wrote:
z-man wrote:

But....but.....they WON!

all $3 worth

Exactly.