Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

keshman87
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

1080p LCD and a PS3

Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:52 am

Hey all,

just wondering if anyone has a ps3 hooked up to a 1080p LCD screen such as the Samsung M86 series? Just wanted to know if there are any blur problems (especially with gaming) that might really put me off, or is it barely noticeable?

im just about to take the plunge for a large-ish TV and ps3 :D cant afford the newest and best, so looking for the best value for money 1080p screen

Thanks
Tom

Chaseme
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: 1080p LCD and a PS3

Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:58 am

I've got a PS3 hooked up to a Sharp running 1080p. Looks great! Zero blurring / ghosting from the LCD so far. Fastest moving game I've tried is Burnout and it's fine. If you're worried spend a bit more and get a 120hz.
This forum owns.

keshman87
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:15 am

yeh i was thinking about going up to the 100Hz screens, but unfortunately just a bit out my price range. Just hoping that the mid-range 1080p's can play fast games without too much trouble

thanks for the reply

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:18 am

Don't be fooled by the marketing buzz, the 120hz screens don't reduce blurring a whit. Refresh rate and response time are two different things.

keshman87
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:23 am

your right, the screen i was looking at has a response time of 8ms... i mean to me thats just a number, so i need people's real experience of playing games on large LCD screens

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:35 am

I thought that 120 Hz refresh was about eliminating the 3:2 pulldown Telecine issues with 24 Hz movies? A video display with 120 Hz refresh should be able to play back 24 Hz (or 23.976 Hz) Blue-ray discs with minimal juddering, since each frame (or field) can be displayed an even 5 times.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:36 am

keshman87 wrote:
your right, the screen i was looking at has a response time of 8ms... i mean to me thats just a number, so i need people's real experience of playing games on large LCD screens
Depends on the person. I can notice blurring/loss of resolution on 8ms screens if I look for it.

keshman87
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:45 am

I dont mind some blurring, just dont want it to ruin the experience really :(

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:27 pm

keshman87 wrote:
I dont mind some blurring, just dont want it to ruin the experience really :(
If you're that concerned, get a plasma or a DLP.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:40 pm

aren't DLP's prone to more debilitating problems, like colors bleeding? My cousin and her husband have a 62" DLP that looks like **** - might just be their TV, though...unsure of the model. But it put me off of DLP's altogether.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:10 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
aren't DLP's prone to more debilitating problems, like colors bleeding? My cousin and her husband have a 62" DLP that looks like **** - might just be their TV, though...unsure of the model. But it put me off of DLP's altogether.
Not that I've heard. Color bleeding is usually a source issue, not a display issue. They probably just don't have the TV set up right.

Macgyver
Gerbil

Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:02 pm

Have a Akai DLP hooked up to a PS3. Got the PS3 for my kids for Christmas. Let them hook it up and noticed the picture was blurry. Told my oldest son he ought to hook it up through the HDMI. (They had it hooked up S-video.) He told me it WAS HDMI. I say to myself, Yea right, you need to study more and skateboard less. So I took all the crappy picture I could stand and hooked it up HDMI. The picture was horrible. Then the PS3 siad, you want me to optimize it for the correct settings? I said YES! And BAM! 1080i nervania :=O. I had to get the squeege out and clean the screen. Next,it was where is the Blu-ray disc, Spiderman3. Threw that in the PS3 and WOW! One of my kids came down stairs and saw the picture and just sat down on the sofa, silent. Next one came down stairs and did the same thing. They couldn't believe the picture. Use the HDMI connection.
I said all this to point out, It's Digital!!! If the screen will play it, and it has the right digital input all the televisions are the pretty much the same. Seen this at Costco to. They pipe in 1080i or p to the sets on display. Thought that I ought to get me a new set. Said when I get home I'm a gonna do a compare. Switched the U-verse to the HD channels for the compare. Same thing. 1080i is 1080i. HD is HD. What you may see, is some picture difference towards the contrast end of the spectrum. Differences when the colors turn darker, but it's still a digital signal.
Be Good to yourself. If you don't, who will?

sativa
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:40 pm

I have a 42" 1080p Philips LCD hooked up to an xbox 360 elite and it looks great! no blurring. I highly recommend the TV.
Science is forbidden. Laboratories manufacture danger!

sativa
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:42 pm

now that my xbox hd-dvd drive is next to worthless (except to watch the few movies that i own -- including my wife's hd-dvd harry potters), I really want to get a PS3. I am holding off until they release the units w/ 45nm CPUs
Science is forbidden. Laboratories manufacture danger!

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:52 pm

Macgyver wrote:
If the screen will play it, and it has the right digital input all the televisions are the pretty much the same.
I could not possibly disagree more.

dmitriylm
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:21 pm

Macgyver wrote:
Have a Akai DLP hooked up to a PS3. Got the PS3 for my kids for Christmas. Let them hook it up and noticed the picture was blurry. Told my oldest son he ought to hook it up through the HDMI. (They had it hooked up S-video.) He told me it WAS HDMI. I say to myself, Yea right, you need to study more and skateboard less. So I took all the crappy picture I could stand and hooked it up HDMI. The picture was horrible. Then the PS3 siad, you want me to optimize it for the correct settings? I said YES! And BAM! 1080i nervania :=O. I had to get the squeege out and clean the screen. Next,it was where is the Blu-ray disc, Spiderman3. Threw that in the PS3 and WOW! One of my kids came down stairs and saw the picture and just sat down on the sofa, silent. Next one came down stairs and did the same thing. They couldn't believe the picture. Use the HDMI connection.
I said all this to point out, It's Digital!!! If the screen will play it, and it has the right digital input all the televisions are the pretty much the same. Seen this at Costco to. They pipe in 1080i or p to the sets on display. Thought that I ought to get me a new set. Said when I get home I'm a gonna do a compare. Switched the U-verse to the HD channels for the compare. Same thing. 1080i is 1080i. HD is HD. What you may see, is some picture difference towards the contrast end of the spectrum. Differences when the colors turn darker, but it's still a digital signal.

That was the biggest load of crap I've ever read.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:14 pm

The worst blurring and ghosting problems i've seen console related are actually connection problems. With hdmi or component you shouldn't have these problems at all on a remotely decent response time lcd. However, any lower standard connection will assuredly cause visual issues, which looks remarkably similar to an lcd's ghosting.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

VILLAIN_xx
Gerbil

Fri May 16, 2008 2:35 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I thought that 120 Hz refresh was about eliminating the 3:2 pulldown Telecine issues with 24 Hz movies? A video display with 120 Hz refresh should be able to play back 24 Hz (or 23.976 Hz) Blue-ray discs with minimal juddering, since each frame (or field) can be displayed an even 5 times.

Does this 120hz and 60hz have something to do with what im witnessing?

I've noticed that some HD TV's on display at Bestbuy play movies way better than the other. One set would play the movie as its supposed to with out a hitch, and the other one seems as if the animation was rendered without motion blur (sorry thats only way i can describe it) and caused a cheesey movie experience. lol Does any one even know what i am talking about? Ive only noticed this "non blur" happens when its a 3d animated feature.

Im in the market for a 1080p telivision as well. Im stuck between really "cheap" 60hz sets and wonder if i should hold out till the 120hz become standard.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri May 16, 2008 2:39 pm

I blame it on poor source issues and/or improper setups.

VILLAIN_xx
Gerbil

Fri May 16, 2008 2:47 pm

Im pretty sure it was a feature that corrected the "non blur". Hmm, Come to think of it I remember Frys had a demo advertising the differences, but i cant remember that feature. But the price was outrageous and i wasnt in the market at that time for me to really care about that information.

Damn! I hope some one has the answer, or im going to have to go to the store. I hate talking with retail salesmen from either store. I seem to get the nubcakes who just say "more hz is better" with out a reason or example.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat May 17, 2008 6:58 am

Nearly all 120hz televisions have some kind of frame interpolation algorithm that can be turned on and off. It's supposed to smooth out 24p sources like movies. In my experience, some implementations of this technology can cause the picture to look unnaturally smooth and make motion look unnatural. There are also other artifacts that can crop up (google "triple ball effect).

Sony's tech is called Motionflow and it's pretty good, but it best left on the low setting (or turned off) IMO.

VILLAIN_xx
Gerbil

Sun May 18, 2008 9:46 am

Vrock wrote:
Nearly all 120hz televisions have some kind of frame interpolation algorithm that can be turned on and off. It's supposed to smooth out 24p sources like movies. In my experience, some implementations of this technology can cause the picture to look unnaturally smooth and make motion look unnatural. There are also other artifacts that can crop up (google "triple ball effect).

Sony's tech is called Motionflow and it's pretty good, but it best left on the low setting (or turned off) IMO.

Yep your right. I just went to frys to see their super Aniversary sales. Same demo display again comparing 120hz vs 60hz.

As usual... a person should go do some research before making a 1000k investment and spend a day at Bestbuy. This motionflow technology needs to be especially paid attention to when watching 3d movies like Ice Age, shrek, Cars etc. Real life video are not so much detectable on a slow scene. But when its fast motion scene you can tell a difference.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun May 18, 2008 12:29 pm

VILLAIN_xx wrote:
making a 1000k investment

One miiiiiiillion dollars? /dr.evil :P
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

VILLAIN_xx
Gerbil

Sun May 18, 2008 7:37 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
VILLAIN_xx wrote:
making a 1000k investment

One miiiiiiillion dollars? /dr.evil :P

hahaha. My bad!

for 1000k it better be a 50000" visual inches and 108000p .

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Sun May 18, 2008 8:37 pm

Vrock wrote:
Don't be fooled by the marketing buzz, the 120hz screens don't reduce blurring a whit. Refresh rate and response time are two different things.

Technically while 120hz screens were made mainly to eliminate motion jitter they CAN help with motion blur (depends on the response rate of the panel). So as for you saying "120hz screens don't reduce blurring a whit" you could goto NAB and talk to some engineers + see for yourself ( and try and disprove it). You could also read this
http://hometheatermag.com/gearworks/707gear/
they mostly get it right.

In the end though these are first generation screens and dont show the benfits enough. Not to mention they havent hit a good price point yet.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon May 19, 2008 10:33 am

GokuSS2 wrote:
Vrock wrote:

Technically while 120hz screens were made mainly to eliminate motion jitter they CAN help with motion blur (depends on the response rate of the panel). So as for you saying "120hz screens don't reduce blurring a whit" you could goto NAB and talk to some engineers + see for yourself ( and try and disprove it). You could also read this

In the end though these are first generation screens and dont show the benfits enough. Not to mention they havent hit a good price point yet.
I don't give a damn what the engineers say. Yes, I know in theory it should reduce blurring, but in reality it's a different story. Turn off all the mumbo-jumbo frame interpolation and watch two identical 8ms LCD sets: one at 60hz and one a 120hz. Tell me what your eyes see. I know what mine see.

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Mon May 19, 2008 4:07 pm

Vrock wrote:
GokuSS2 wrote:
Vrock wrote:

I don't give a damn what the engineers say. Yes, I know in theory it should reduce blurring, but in reality it's a different story. Turn off all the mumbo-jumbo frame interpolation and watch two identical 8ms LCD sets: one at 60hz and one a 120hz. Tell me what your eyes see. I know what mine see.

I have at NAB. I saw a difference. A small one but I saw it.

Spec4
Gerbil

Tue May 20, 2008 6:08 pm

I was originally in the market for an LCD 1080p HDTV to compliment my PS3, but opted for Panasonic's new 46" Viera model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6889187085 and couldn't be happier. :D I was suprised to find out the panel life expectancy of the newer plasmas is 100,000 hours. I also noticed that some TV's looked different at various stores and I guess Usacomp2k3 sums it up best when he said it comes down to the video source.
ASRock Z87 Extreme 4|i5-4670K|GTX 770|Seasonic 660W |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - OS | Corsair 16GB | Z-5300e | 2408WFP | Win10 Lumia 950 | Malibal Lotus P150EM....GO HAWKS!!