Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

combo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 07, 2002 2:21 pm

Hello Everyone.

Im doing some stuff in Terminal services running Windows 2000 ADV server and I have it set up and running. I can connect to any servers running it and log in.

Now, the Question is how to set it up so I can control/View what a user is doing.

If anyone can give me some pointers or point me in the right direction it would be great.

Thanks.

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 07, 2002 3:52 pm

Get <a href=http://www.citrix.com/>Citrix</a>.
You are false data.

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 08, 2002 6:34 pm

Combo, I didn't have much time to answer before, and wanted to elaborate. The latest version of MS Terminal Services is a pretty fair performer, but it has its limits. Citrix Metaframe is an add-on product to Terminal Services that adds features like session shadowing (what you want), interoperability with other operating systems and non-IP protocols.

The licensing scheme for MS Terminal Services is damn expensive. For each and every seat, you need a NT/2000 server license, a NT/2000 workstation license and a Windows license for the OS on the client PC. That's a lot of cash! Citrix roughly doubles that. The bottom line is that you're spending a whole lot of money for the novelty of running a Windows process on another computer.

No doubt your situation is that the money's already spent and you're committed. Now what? There's no reason to throw good money after bad, so forget Citrix. <a href=http://www.tightvnc.com/>TightVNC</a> will allow you to see what users are doing in a WTS session by allowing you to see what they are doing on their host desktop. It's not as slick as what Citrix has to offer, but in practice it's every bit as effective.

Out of curiosity, what are you using WTS for?
You are false data.

inhalent
Gerbil In Training

Tue Mar 26, 2002 2:16 am

If you want to shadow someones session in WTS you must first be logged on to a terminal session yourself. Once you are in a session, go into terminal service manager and click on the user that you would like to shadow. Right click on that user select the obvious option... (i'm not here to breast feed you...) and wham! you are in... No lube... no tube...

Thank you m'am