Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

SMP client issues

Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:50 am

I have 2 SMP clients running on my Q6600.

SMP#1 is running a project 2653 and is going through 1% ever 9 minutes

SMP#2 is running project 3062 and is from 40 min to 1:40 minutes to go through 1%

Does this make sense?
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Gromacs!

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:13 am

David, are you running anything else on that pc? That second client shouldn't take more than 15 minutes on 3062. Try stopping it and then restarting it. Also, are these in a VM environment?
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:23 am

flybywire wrote:
David, are you running anything else on that pc? That second client shouldn't take more than 15 minutes on 3062. Try stopping it and then restarting it. Also, are these in a VM environment?

This is my normal daily use PC. I am just surfing the net at the moment. Yesterday, both SMP clients were running about 18 minutes per 1%... When they turned in their WUs and picked up new ones this new timing came into effect.

I'm not running a virtual environment yet, but I have installed VMware and downloaded the 64 bit Ubuntu OS. I guess I should go ahead and finish that up...

I'll restart the 3062 client and see what happens.
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:29 am

Son of a ...

When I exited one client the other client errored out... I lost 69% progress... aarrgghhhh!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:33 am

I thought 3062 is a quad only project? So in this case one dual-core SMP client is fighting with the quad-core SMP client, something is gotta give?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:45 am

Flying Fox wrote:
I thought 3062 is a quad only project? So in this case one dual-core SMP client is fighting with the quad-core SMP client, something is gotta give?

Well that's the second time in the past 4 days I've lost 60%+ progress. I need to get the VMware going I think. I wonder why closing one SMP client cause the second client to lose its WU...

Flybywire what is my next step? I have VMWare installed, according to Trax's guide I am supposed to do this

5. Start VMware. Select "New Virtual Machine". Pick custom virtual machine configuration, then for Guest OS, select "Linux" option and pick "Ubuntu 64 bit" from the list. In general select default options, but make sure that select 2 processors, at least 400MB of RAM (500MB suggest in case the WUs get larger) and either Bridged (suggested) or NAT (if bridged doesn't work) for network type. For HD space, 4GB is minimum suggested with all space allocated but if plan to play with Linux, make it larger (and if want, can select to not allocate all space now). HD space isn't changeable, but RAM, network, CD (among other settings) are changeable.

But New Virtual Machine is not selectable for me. Instead I get this screen:

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:55 am

david00214 wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

Well that's the second time in the past 4 days I've lost 60%+ progress. I need to get the VMware going I think. I wonder why closing one SMP client cause the second client to lose its WU...

Flybywire what is my next step? I have VMWare installed, according to Trax's guide I am supposed to do this

5. Start VMware. Select "New Virtual Machine". Pick custom virtual machine configuration, then for Guest OS, select "Linux" option and pick "Ubuntu 64 bit" from the list. In general select default options, but make sure that select 2 processors, at least 400MB of RAM (500MB suggest in case the WUs get larger) and either Bridged (suggested) or NAT (if bridged doesn't work) for network type. For HD space, 4GB is minimum suggested with all space allocated but if plan to play with Linux, make it larger (and if want, can select to not allocate all space now). HD space isn't changeable, but RAM, network, CD (among other settings) are changeable.

But New Virtual Machine is not selectable for me. Instead I get this screen:

We need to split this. You were necro-ing an old thread.

This is VMware server, so you need to "connect" to the server on your local box first. So type "localhost" and enter your username and password to connect. Then you can create VMs under the File menu.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:59 am

Thanks I tried your suggestion I got "Target Machine actively refused it"

How do we split the thread?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:04 am

david00214 wrote:
Hmm... are you an Administrative user or just regular user? I'm not entirely certain how this plays out in Vista. Someone will have to answer this.

david00214 wrote:
Was kind of telling the mods with my sentence. ;)

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:06 am

Flying Fox wrote:

david00214 wrote:
Was kind of telling the mods with my sentence. ;)

I thought you were a mod cause your name is green. Why IS your name green?

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:08 am

Flying Fox wrote:
david00214 wrote:
Hmm... are you an Administrative user or just regular user? I'm not entirely certain how this plays out in Vista. Someone will have to answer this.

I just tried running VMware as an admin. Got same error.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: SMP client issues

Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:25 am

I've split the thread.

david00214, I don't think it is a good idea to run multiple SMP clients on the same box. The Windows SMP client is known to be flaky even with a single instance, and it is supposedly optimized for 4 cores anyhow.

Regarding the VMware problem... there should be a check box for "Local host" in that login dialog when you first start the VMware console. The fact that it is missing probably means the local VMware services aren't running; I think something is borked with the VMware installation.

Is anyone else using VMware Server on Vista?

Edit: I've verified that the error message you're getting is what happens when the VMware services aren't running on the machine you try to connect to. So the next step is to figure out why the VMware service is failing. I'd start by verifying that the VMware services are configured to start automatically in your Services list, and looking in the Windows event logs for any errors related to VMware.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:45 am

David, did you get any message regarding 'signed drivers' when you were installing VMware in Vista?

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:59 pm

flybywire wrote:
David, did you get any message regarding 'signed drivers' when you were installing VMware in Vista?

I will uninstall and reinstall VMware to see if I get the signed drivers error.

Flybywire what are your thoughts? Should I stick to one SMP client? as Justbrewit suggests? It seems since F@H is sending me those 4 core Gromac projects I might run into more trouble running two clients.
Last edited by Gerbil Jedidiah on Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:19 pm

Reinstalled. Here is what I get.

By david00214 at 2008-03-16

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:31 pm

OK, looks like VMware is a no-go on Vista then. Without the special drivers it tries to install, it isn't going to work.

Edit: Maybe this will help. (Scroll down to the last post.)

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:45 pm

just brew it! wrote:
OK, looks like VMware is a no-go on Vista then. Without the special drivers it tries to install, it isn't going to work.

Well I tried to disable driver signature, but not the TWO combined methods in that last post you refer to. That might be it.

In the meantime, I installed a different VMware. Here is a screenshot. It pops open in Firefox. Will this work?

By david00214 at 2008-03-16

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:01 pm

This has been mentioned in another thread, but VMware Server is supposed to be installed on a Server OS, so that's why Vista is not quite the animal that what it is expected to be installed in. In the past you can ignore it and still install, but Vista has this signed drivers problem. I think flybywire posted a couple links in another thread.

Is that VMware Server beta 2 that you have tried? I'm not sure if it works, but when I see that VMware Infrastructure web client it looks like you are doing ESX, which is yet another beast. :o ;)

If you have time, you can try this for us: install the more minimalistic VMware Player, get a Ubuntu pre-built VMware image (since VMware Player cannot create VMs by default), open the .vmx file and change to:
numvcpus = "2"
, restart and see if it boots, check if the OS recognizes 2 "CPU"s. If all that works, then you are good to go, and you can clone it by just copying the entire folder and you should then have 2 Ubuntu OSes to play with.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:00 pm

just brew it! wrote:

I tried this and it did not work. I wonder if evil Microsoft released an update that prevents this from working :evil:

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:02 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
This has been mentioned in another thread, but VMware Server is supposed to be installed on a Server OS, so that's why Vista is not quite the animal that what it is expected to be installed in. In the past you can ignore it and still install, but Vista has this signed drivers problem. I think flybywire posted a couple links in another thread.

Is that VMware Server beta 2 that you have tried? I'm not sure if it works, but when I see that VMware Infrastructure web client it looks like you are doing ESX, which is yet another beast. :o ;)

If you have time, you can try this for us: install the more minimalistic VMware Player, get a Ubuntu pre-built VMware image (since VMware Player cannot create VMs by default), open the .vmx file and change to:
numvcpus = "2"
, restart and see if it boots, check if the OS recognizes 2 "CPU"s. If all that works, then you are good to go, and you can clone it by just copying the entire folder and you should then have 2 Ubuntu OSes to play with.

Huh? :o Can I get those instructions in an "any idiot could follow these instructions" format? (My goal is to attain idiot competency very soon and then I will be able to use the instructions!!!)

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:21 pm

david00214 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I tried this and it did not work. I wonder if evil Microsoft released an update that prevents this from working :evil:

More likely they made some seemingly innocuous change, and just didn't bother to check whether they broke it since VMware isn't an MS product.

Although MS does seem to get annoyed when people try to do server-y things on non-server versions of Windows, so I suppose it is possible that they broke it on purpose...

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:43 pm

Vmware Workstation works under Vista with a problem though. The catch is that Workstation isn't for free. :(
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:30 pm

Flying Fox wrote:

numvcpus = "2"

Wait maybe I get it after all. You're saying VM player is built into the link you provided. I am downlloading Ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.zip. Please let me know if that is the wrong one.

crazybus
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:35 pm

david00214 wrote:
Wait maybe I get it after all. You're saying VM player is built into the link you provided. I am downlloading Ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.zip. Please let me know if that is the wrong one.
VMware Player. The image you'll probably want to get is the
Ubuntu-7.10-server-amd64 one since the linux SMP client requires 64-bits of goodness. In any event aren't their stickies explaining all this?
[email protected] | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:37 pm

crazybus wrote:
david00214 wrote:
Ubuntu-7.10-server-amd64 one since the linux SMP client requires 64-bits of goodness. In any event aren't their stickies explaining all this?

I have an intel processor so do I need the i386 version?

crazybus
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:40 pm

david00214 wrote:
crazybus wrote:
david00214 wrote:

I have an intel processor so do I need the i386 version?
Nope, you want the AMD64 build. For all intents and purposes AMD64==EM64T==x86-64 when referring to processor architectures. The i386 is the normal 32-bit version. Your Intel processor does require VT for it to work. E6x00+ chips have it, E4x00 and less don't.
[email protected] | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:46 pm

I have a Q6600. I'm downloading the AMD server version. Thanks for the tip :)

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:02 pm

deleted
Last edited by Gerbil Jedidiah on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:19 pm

That's still VMware server.. have you installed VMware Player yet?

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:22 pm

flybywire wrote:
That's still VMware server.. have you installed VMware Player yet?

Maybe I missunderstood crazybus's post above. I thought I was supposed to get the server. I'll DL the player then.