Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

A-Rod makes more than Marlins team

Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:17 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/b ... ml?cnn=yes

For the first time in baseball history, the average salary topped the $3 million mark. The 855 players on opening-day rosters and the DL averaged $3.15 million, up 7.1 percent from last year's starting average of $2.94 million.

"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: A-Rod makes more than Marlins team

Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:51 am

He's also worth every penny. I can't stand the guy, but he's far and above the (edit: second-) best hitter in the game and he's not a liability on the field (*ahem*Jeter*cough*) - at a position that's not his NATURAL position, even. His 162-game average is 44HR, 128RBI, .306 average and .389 (!) OBP thanks to ~80 walks/year.

[well, I guess he's a slight liability at 3B. He's -10 FRAA over the 4 years he's been at 3B. But the stat to the left of that one, FRAR, is fielding runs (saved) above his replacement, and that's still much > 0 for those 4 years. He's somewhat below-average at 3B but way better than a replacement-level 3B that they'd call up from AAA]

edit: RUNONSENTENCE
edit2: additional linkage
edit3: Nevermind, he's only the second-best hitter, his 162-game average is all lower (aside from HR) than this dude. Bonds doesn't count anymore because he's not been signed this year. :p
edit4: this is not news in the first place.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

FunkeeC
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:12 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
He's also worth every penny. I can't stand the guy, but he's far and above the (edit: second-) best hitter in the game and he's not a liability on the field (*ahem*Jeter*cough*) - at a position that's not his NATURAL position, even. His 162-game average is 44HR, 128RBI, .306 average and .389 (!) OBP thanks to ~80 walks/year.

[well, I guess he's a slight liability at 3B. He's -10 FRAA over the 4 years he's been at 3B. But the stat to the left of that one, FRAR, is fielding runs (saved) above his replacement, and that's still much > 0 for those 4 years. He's somewhat below-average at 3B but way better than a replacement-level 3B that they'd call up from AAA]

edit: RUNONSENTENCE
edit2: additional linkage
edit3: Nevermind, he's only the second-best hitter, his 162-game average is all lower (aside from HR) than this dude. Bonds doesn't count anymore because he's not been signed this year. :p
edit4: this is not news in the first place.

What this guy said. If you want to focus on someone overpaid for their level of performance, look to the left of ARod....

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:58 pm

FunkeeC wrote:
What this guy said. If you want to focus on someone overpaid for their level of performance, look to the left of ARod....

[smartass]Who, the 3rd base coach? Or the umpire?[/smartass]

This is more an indictment of the Marlins than it is A-Rod. There is no team in baseball not named the Devil Rays that is more deserving of contraction. Then again, they have more World Series this decade than the Yankees too. Oh wait, the Yankees won in 2000, didn't they? Still, that the Marlins can win one and the **** CUBS CAN'T EVEN WIN A GAME AGAINST THE GODDAMN DIAMONDBACKS....sorry, anger management issues.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:30 pm

go tigers?

lol we now have the 2nd highest payroll in baseball and no bullpen. *sigh*
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:38 pm

And yet the Marlins have two World Series rings and ARod has none.

(Granted, none of the actual players on the current Marlins team have any of those rings AFAIK)
idchafee wrote:
This is more an indictment of the Marlins than it is A-Rod. There is no team in baseball not named the Devil Rays that is more deserving of contraction.
There is no team in baseball named the Devil Rays (anymore). And the Rays have been quietly putting together a good team. They're going to be pretty good this year (as long as their fielding doesn't let them down like it did last year). Not enough to challenge the top of the division, but they're going to put Baltimore in the basement and the Blue Jays should be nervously looking over their shoulders.

Anyway, why would you contract the most profitable franchise in baseball? Over the past five or six years, on a percentage basis, that's the Marlins.

There's no reason why Florida shouldn't be a great franchise -- a warm weather major metro region full of rich retired folks from the northeast and baseball-mad Cubans. But Florida is a great example of the distortions created by the current MLB business model (and the evil genius that is Jeff Loria, the guy who ran the Expos into the ground before selling it off -- at a profit -- to the rest of the league to buy the Marlins). Loria wants Miami/Dade County/the State of Florida/the Tooth Fairy to build him a stadium and give him all the proceeds. He’s going to scream poverty and keep the payroll low until that happens. (Joe Giardi undermined that position by demonstrating you can win -- and turn a profit -- in spite of a low payroll, and despite being voted the NL Manager of the Year got fired as a reward). Meanwhile, Loria is pocketing the revenue sharing payouts (at the end of the 2005 season, for example, the Marlins received $31M in payouts and then fielded a 2006 payroll of $15M). Loria bought the Marlins in 2002 for $158M; Forbes magazine in April 2007 valued the club at $244M. Year after year, on a percentage basis, the Marlins are amongst the most profitable teams in MLB. Until the other owners change the rules (or the players union insists that all of the revenue sharing dollars be spent on salaries), that's going to continue and the team -- whether any fans show up or not -- will continue to exist.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:42 pm

idchafee wrote:
[smartass]Who, the 3rd base coach? Or the umpire?[/smartass]

A-Rod's left. ;)

Ubergerbil, to say the Rays will be a "good team" is an exaggeration. Better than last year? Sure. Competing with Bal/Tor? Maybe But Baltimore and Toronto field perennially under-performing teams. Competing with Boston/NYY? Never.

As for the Marlins, people in Miami only care about the Hurricanes.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:55 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Ubergerbil, to say the Rays will be a "good team" is an exaggeration. Better than last year? Sure. Competing with Bal/Tor? Maybe But Baltimore and Toronto field perennially under-performing teams. Competing with Boston/NYY? Never.
My definition of "good" is "over .500" and that's quite possible for them this year -- in fact, for them, that would be historically good. (Some people think they'll do significantly better than that). I did say they weren't going to challenge the top of the division, where BOS and NYY live, and that doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon. In another division they might have had a shot (especially if they keep developing over the next couple of years).

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:01 pm

z-man wrote:
go tigers?

Just wait until you get the box-totin' guitar hero back.

Turkina
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:04 pm

It really warms my heart to see that this thread isnt full of "zomg A-Rod makes too much and the yankees overpay."
The revenue sharing system has been inherently broken for a while, with teams like the marlins, rays, and Selig's own Brewers pocketing money that is supposed to go towards fielding a contending team. Baseball performances aside, there are a lot of very poorly run organizations beyond those clubs as well - Im looking at the Twins for instance. The "deal" they have at the metrodome is just terrible, and their new ballpark plans call for it to be open air. Thats bad for everyone - bad for fans, and bad for a league that will need to reschedule tons of snowed out games. I used to think a minimum team salary was the answer...but the problems are way beyond player payroll into shoddily run business organizations of these "small market" clubs.

~Turkina

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:19 pm

Turkina wrote:
It really warms my heart to see that this thread isnt full of "zomg A-Rod makes too much and the yankees overpay."

At the risk of contradicting my first post, they probably overpay for him *a tiny bit* compared to the contract that Albert got, but they are different scenarios: The Cardinals signed Pujols to his $115M deal when he was still somewhat salary-controlled. A-Rod got his $252M deal as a free agent, and the Rangers were idiots because they paid way more than anybody else was willing to pay, just to get him to Texas. And from 2004-2007, the Rangers were subsidizing part of the money NYY owed him, until he opted out of the contract. Now, this off-season, NY did (to a lesser degree) what Texas did - paid substantially more than anyone else was willing to give. But it wasn't as off-kilter as Texas and they did have the precedent of his existing (and cancelled, I suppose) contract to deal with.

But you're right; the bigger problem is teams taking revenues shared by teams paying the luxury tax and stuffing it in their coffers rather than fielding a competitive team. Milwaukee, in particular, will pay to see a team in contention - last year proved that. I'm not so convinced about Miami, though...

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:41 pm

In other news, professional athletes are overpaid, roided-up prima donnas who are worshipped by Americans. Which speaks volumes about Americans. Professional sports offend me almost as much as professional sports fans.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:45 pm

well, somebody had to do it...

edit: because it's fun...

Vrock wrote:
In other news, movie actors are overpaid, drugged-up prima donnas who are worshipped by Americans. Which speaks volumes about Americans. Movies offend me almost as much as movie dorks.

edit2: "movie dorks" was suggested via PM and I changed the post to reflect that.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:06 pm

mattsteg wrote:
z-man wrote:
go tigers?

If he can still even throw.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:11 pm

The biggest issue regardless is the lack of a salary cap in baseball. Seriously every other major sport in the country has one. Hell, the NBA even has a salary restriction on incoming rookies. Hello *cough* NFL *cough*.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:21 pm

That's just it - baseball *has a salary cap* and teams that go over, pay a big...well, fine I guess. They call it a luxury tax, adn it's given to teams with small payrolls who don't use the money to be competitive.

Turkina
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:30 pm

I really do think a minimum salary would be more beneficial and realistic than a cap. Remember too that no "contract" is guaranteed in the NFL - players may be cut at any time with most of the money being forfeit, whereas in baseball basically every contract is guaranteed (even Carl Pavano's $40M for 4 years, totaling about 100 IP). Are contracts guaranteed in the NBA?

~Turkina

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:42 pm

Turkina wrote:
I really do think a minimum salary would be more beneficial and realistic than a cap. Remember too that no "contract" is guaranteed in the NFL - players may be cut at any time with most of the money being forfeit, whereas in baseball basically every contract is guaranteed (even Carl Pavano's $40M for 4 years, totaling about 100 IP). Are contracts guaranteed in the NBA?
The players' union in baseball is too strong to ever lose the guaranteed contract. But they could certainly get behind the idea that all the luxury tax and revenue sharing (they're two separate things) be required to be spent on payroll by the receiving teams. The players union could even do the audits. Of course, it's an open question which the owners would hate more -- that some owners are pocketing the payments, or that they might use the money to further inflate overall player salaries.

FunkeeC
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:23 pm

z-man wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
z-man wrote:
go tigers?

If he can still even throw.

Saw this today...

http://deadspin.com/375096/joel-zumaya-still-rocking

gerbilspy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:32 pm

Poor Marlins. They can't get no respect, just World Championships every few years. They get a lot of bang for their bucks!
Not retired anymore

themattman
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:30 pm

I didn't realize the Marlin's salary was that low. But ARod brings in the money, so he gets paid handsomely.
|Intel Q9450 @3.6 1.425v|Lapped TRUE|Gigabyte EP45-UD3P|Mushkin & Patriot 2x2gb DDR2-900|EVGA 8800 GTS 512 750/1873/1000|Antec 900|Corsair 520HX|Asus Xonar DX|
13895 3DMarks

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:46 pm

My town is getting a "Frontier League" team. Each team has a total salary cap of $60,000 or roughly one months shoe budget for Arod. :P

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:04 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
My town is getting a "Frontier League" team. Each team has a total salary cap of $60,000 or roughly one months shoe budget for Arod. :P

There's an FL team 2 towns over from me, I can be there in 15 min. The defending FL champs, actually. Its a fun time, we go 6-8 times ayear
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:56 am

idchafee wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:

There's an FL team 2 towns over from me, I can be there in 15 min. The defending FL champs, actually. Its a fun time, we go 6-8 times ayear

Maybe one day we can both attend a game of our 2 teams playing against each other.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:08 am

gerbilspy wrote:
Poor Marlins. They can't get no respect, just World Championships every few years. They get a lot of bang for their bucks!

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/statistics/1997/12.shtml (Marlins 1997 payroll)
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/statistics/1997/20.shtml (Yankees 1997 payroll)

So their payroll in 1997 dollars was a.) more than their 2008 payroll BEFORE taking inflation into account and b.) relatively close to the Yankees payroll of the same year (Yankees payroll was 20% higher). At one point, the Marlins actually did spend money on players relative to other teams in the day.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/statistics/2003/12.shtml

Their 2003 team had a roughly equivalent (non-inflation-adjusted) payroll to their 1997 team, though post-inflation it might actually have been lower in terms of the value of a dollar.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:23 pm

z-man wrote:
go tigers?

How's that working out for you? :lol:
(Sorry, it's not like you were responsible for the pre-season hype. And hey, it's still early, and it's a long season. They've got to win at least <i>one</i> game, right?)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:18 am

but winning one game isnt' the point of baseball...the point is to win enough games to get into the playoffs and then win every playoff series in which you play, thus winning the World Serious. ;)

Edit: And I guess my point is that while the Tigers can make the playoffs still, they've put themselves at quite a disadvantage by spotting the rest of the league 3-4 wins apiece before deciding to turn it on.

Turkina
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:03 pm

What happens in April (or May or June...or sometimes even later) is rarely relevant to October. Cards fans of all people should know that one.
Seriously, all the predictions ive seen for the AL Central are predicated on the Indians being as good/better than they were last year, and I simply don't think their rotation will be that good again. Tigers bullpen isnt in terrible shape - Lopez and Miner can throw a little...whats Zumaya's ETA?

~Turkina

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:07 pm

Every game is as relevant as every other. A win in April doesn't count any less than a win in September - either way your record is still 83-79 ( ;) ) or whatever. A 6-game losing streak is always bad. Three 9-game streaks sucks to high heaven.

Turkina
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:28 pm

While thats literally true, I don't think its really the case. If, going into the last 9 games of the season, your record is 74-79, you want to go 9-0 to have a chance at the playoffs* (and by extension, the world series). Winning 9 games in a row is hard. You want your best pitchers, best position players, no rest, max effort. Conversely, if you start the season 0-9, you need to go *only* 83-70 the rest of the way to get into the playoffs.
As games get scarce, they gain relevance. Having to go 83-70 over 153 is attainable, whereas 10-0 over 10 is less so.
Of course, once you're in the playoffs, you only need to go 11-8 to win it all.
~Turkina

*assuming 83-79 is good enough, and you're the 2006 Cardinals