Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

b3n113
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Positive Playstation 3 Talk and Q/A

Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:08 pm

The backwards compatibility on the 80gb model is nothing to bitch about. I had a 60GB previously and obviously, everything ran - however often times it didn't scale to 1080p or 720p correctly, without leaving unavoidable black bars. Using the software emulation on the 80gb scales everything to 1080p or 720p without bars. Some titles, like FF 12 have bars in some parts of the game, cut scenes but no where else. I've kept my PS1 and PS2 games, and subsequently have a pretty stupid large back catalog. I have yet to pop in a PS1 or PS2 title and have it play but perfectly. And unlike the 360 I don't have to download compatibility updates, per title when using the PS3 software emulation ;)

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:48 am

b3n113 wrote:
And unlike the 360 I don't have to download compatibility updates, per title when using the PS3 software emulation ;)

You're saying that downloading potential performance upgrades is a bad thing?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:57 am

My first PS2 game is Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal. It plays fine on my 80 GB PlayStation 3. The compatibility mode uses hard-drive space to emulate memory cards for the PS2. I set smoothing on and full-screen output in the compatibility menu (PS button). I set 16:9 and progressive scan in the options menu (start button). The only glitch that I notice is that when the cinematic cut scenes first play in the game, the sound gets ahead of the video. If you go back and re-play the cinematics from the options menu (start button), they play perfectly.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:26 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
b3n113 wrote:
And unlike the 360 I don't have to download compatibility updates, per title when using the PS3 software emulation ;)

You're saying that downloading potential performance upgrades is a bad thing?

Or bug fixes.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:03 am

This looks like very good news indeed.

I still need to sort out the TV situation first. :-?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:07 am

Hmm, I thought they were already coming pretty close to break even on the 80gb?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:31 am

Vrock wrote:
Hmm, I thought they were already coming pretty close to break even on the 80gb?

I would not mind that when I am ready to buy, I can get a 120GB model with the smaller chips, a small casing, plus DS3 included. By then if they have the GT5Full bundle that will be even better. I don't think I want a Spiderman 3 bundle.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:33 am

Well I stand corrected, I suppose. If the PS3's BC is that good, it apparently puts the 360's BC to shame...I found several supposedly BC games completely unplayable on the 360 and made the (apparently incorrect) assumption that software emulation sucks as a whole. I just figured Sony's would cut corners in the same fashion.

FF, I don't think GT5 will be ready by fall...I've read at various gaming sites that it could be a year out from the release of GT5 Prologue, which just came out.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:34 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
FF, I don't think GT5 will be ready by fall...I've read at various gaming sites that it could be a year out from the release of GT5 Prologue, which just came out.
And I most likely won't be ready by fall, seeing I need to get a HDTV first. ;)

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:37 am

Yeah, Spiderman 3 sucks balls.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:53 am

Flying Fox wrote:

Well get hopping! I got the PS3 first, but I've mostly had it connected to my monitor since I got it. But the HDTV is coming Real Soon Now (May 1st, hopefully). :D
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:26 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

Well get hopping! I got the PS3 first, but I've mostly had it connected to my monitor since I got it. But the HDTV is coming Real Soon Now (May 1st, hopefully). :D

My 2005FPW does not have HDMI nor component, so I don't think I want to plug that to my monitor. None of my SDTVs at home have component too, which I think is a crime to match with a PS3 if I don't even have that as a minimum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:22 am

well you're probably right. My Sony-branded S-Video cable has a weird diagonal black bar pattern that makes parts of the games and movies darker than others, and the composite cable included with the system has the same problem. Maybe it's just my system, but analog signals out of this thing (component notwithstanding, as I don't have anything to test with) have largely looked like poop across my 2 SDTV's.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:45 am

Flying Fox wrote:
My 2005FPW does not have HDMI nor component, so I don't think I want to plug that to my monitor. None of my SDTVs at home have component too, which I think is a crime to match with a PS3 if I don't even have that as a minimum.

I plug my 360 into my 2005fpw every once in awhile. It works fine at 720p mode with aspect scaling *shrug*

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:58 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

I plug my 360 into my 2005fpw every once in awhile. It works fine at 720p mode with aspect scaling *shrug*

S-Video? Ewww...?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:22 pm

VGA cable probably. They make them for PS3 also:

http://www.gameyeeeah.com/wii-ps3-vga-cable-p-746.html

b3n113

Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:37 pm

or just use an dvi to hdmi converter

usa - the idea being Sony provided a more elegant complete solution for software emulation. First with real hardware then damn near universal software emulation, no patches it just does. The 360 doesnt seem to matter as much outside of halo, halo2?

Enteresting so many people still ask about ps2 - ps1 support on the ps3. It would seem more people have an atachment to thief ps2 - ps1 back catalog. At least with what I've seen.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:12 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
VGA cable probably. They make them for PS3 also:

http://www.gameyeeeah.com/wii-ps3-vga-cable-p-746.html
Holy schnikes, I didn't know they made those. $32 is a bit steep, but that's cool.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:13 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

S-Video? Ewww...?
Eh, S-video isn't so bad; component's only a hair better.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:56 pm

Vrock wrote:

In terms of signal quality, sure, but component to a high-res display is able to display more pixels, so to most eyes (my own included), it looks way better. With S-Video, you're still stuck with 480i (IIRC, IANAL, WTFBBQ)

And yeah, $32 is more than I would want to pay - I got a cheapo 2-port HDMI switch and an HDMI-->DVI converter for that much, and I just use the analog video cable for its audio outputs with mine.

b3n113

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:39 pm

digital arguments aside, it's easier to get a better color space on cheap to mid range component cables then it is with a cheap to mid range s-video cable. however, i'll always have an affinity for s-video given my laserdisc collection :D

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:08 pm

b3n113 wrote:
or just use an dvi to hdmi converter

usa - the idea being Sony provided a more elegant complete solution for software emulation. First with real hardware then damn near universal software emulation, no patches it just does. The 360 doesnt seem to matter as much outside of halo, halo2?

Right. DVI->HDMI cable.
I've never seen the BC on the ps3. I've only played halo1 on my 360, and that didn't seem any different than playing it on my old roomate's xbox. I will say that it was cool to be able to download the update for it though. I can't say that it's better due to not being able to compare directly. I don't have any xbox games, is what it boils down to.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:23 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Vrock wrote:

In terms of signal quality, sure, but component to a high-res display is able to display more pixels, so to most eyes (my own included), it looks way better. With S-Video, you're still stuck with 480i (IIRC, IANAL, WTFBBQ)
Good point, I wasn't thinking about HD resolutions.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:04 am

I need to stop reading this thread until I get a HDTV.....
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:17 am

idchafee wrote:
I need to stop reading this thread until I get a HDTV.....

Yeah, this thread is why I bought a PS3. The PS3 is why I'm getting a new TV in about 10 days. :lol:

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:44 am

It's amusing to contrast ppl's views in this thread from the first few pages compared to the last few pages :wink:

Also, I love GT5 Prologue - the 10 mins I played so far anyway.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re:

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:58 am

derFunkenstein back in Feb of 2007 wrote:
I just hope there's not a Disgaea/LaPucelle/PhantomBrave kind of tactical RPG coming soon - my bank account can't afford it. :lol:

Unfortunately, word leaked of this back in January, so this is why I have it. :lol:

It IS kinda fun to read the thread from the beginning now. My opinion didn't really change, but I can see that other folks' have.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:31 am

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
It's amusing to contrast ppl's views in this thread from the first few pages compared to the last few pages :wink:
For sure. I bought my PS3 as a cheap blu-ray player with zero intent of playing games with it. I own four PS3 games now. 'Course, I have over 50 Blu-rays, but still. :)

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:45 pm

FroBozz_Inc wrote:

Sony has done a good job keeping up with features that us geeks enjoy. Their commercials are still stupid (I much prefer the xbox one's, especially that 'life is short' one), but as long as they keep the engineers busy and keep pushing forward, they will keep getting market share from us techies. I know if I had the money I'd get one. If I didn't have my xbox already it would be a much harder choice between the 2 now than it was a year ago.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:27 am

Well, looking at the upcoming software library for the PS3, I took what I think is a big step. Since I didn't really miss the 360 while it was with Microsoft, and because I hadn't really played it since I got it back, I decided to Craigslist it with the warning that it was a refurb straight from MS and parted ways with it last night for $250. I gave the dude all the paperwork and he's confident that 1.) it wont' RROD again and 2.) if it does, he can get it repaired. But that means now that I've had my PS3 about 8 weeks, I've elected to put all my gaming eggs in its basket.

I figure there's so much I want to play on the PS3, I won't have any free time to play other systems anyhow...finishing R&C Future, finishing my career in MLB08 The Show (I got traded to the Mets!), still playing UT3, Motorstorm, All Pro 2k8, and Virtua Fighter 5; need to play Dark Sector, Resistance, Devil May Cry 4; GTA4 coming next month, MGS4 after that, Disgaea 3 and Soul Calibur 4 (I'd rather play as Vader than Yoda anyway) in August...who knows what else. Oh, Valkyria Chronicles!

It's not about having the largest selection, it's about having a console with enough games to fill my free gaming time. Sure, alot of what I listed is cross-platform and I could have played most of those on the 360, but I'd rather take that cash and sink it into the games and try to further simplify things.

(PerfectCr, you might want to remove me from the XBL gamertag thread)