Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Pika calls out Darwin, folding showdown!

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:55 am

i still got points though it was past-deadline for mine... I think. I wasn't really paying attention to deadlines, but I know when this happened on my old AMD box that was the case.

I gotta hit the desperation phase now
I need to talk to my brother about borging his box while he's at school. He wont let me OC it or run it when he's sleeping, but he might be good for a few daytime points. Also I'm gonna take another shot at getting our mac working - it wasn't recieving WUs before, and it would always stop working when it turned the display off, and i dont like leaving it unused with the display running

Does diskless folding work on an intelmac?

Edit: Not that... I want to pry... but I'm curious about our clocktoclock differences. How long does it take for 1% on one of your VMs on your [email protected]?
[you tell me and I'll tell you my [email protected]]
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:37 am

pikaporeon wrote:

I gotta hit the desperation phase now

Uh, you're kickin my butt today. :o Why be desperate? :D

pikaporeon wrote:
Edit: Not that... I want to pry... but I'm curious about our clocktoclock differences. How long does it take for 1% on one of your VMs on your [email protected]?
[you tell me and I'll tell you my [email protected]]

It depends. The fastest I have seen it is about 1 steps every 6 minutes for either SMP client. So each one is churning a step every 11 to 12 minutes. Sometimes one will be slower than that. It depends on the WU, the wind, and how often I blink while chewing gum and standing on my head (I am convinced this is the largest factor in PPD)
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:41 pm

mines a pretty consistant 12 min a percent per client, of course WU and other CPU load variances being accounted for. Seems that despite your 400mhz advantage they're pretty evenly balanced

And yea, I got a boost as my server submitted a WU today, it's a Pentium D and takes like an hour per percent, but it's def nice when it does.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:49 pm

Today: 7,874

Oh that looks nice.
And to think it's only 2 PM and my PS3 is going to be throwing a few hundred points at this.
... and my Xeon, my Core 2 duo mac, and my brothers Q6600 are not folding yet.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:44 pm

pikaporeon wrote:
Today: 7,874

Oh that looks nice.
And to think it's only 2 PM and my PS3 is going to be throwing a few hundred points at this.
... and my Xeon, my Core 2 duo mac, and my brothers Q6600 are not folding yet.

Keep em grinding away. You'll need em... I got LOTS of points that haven't posted (he says in a hopeful and anxious manner)

POST @$%@#$@# WUs POST!!!
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Well I just got home... Rebooted my Linux environments and reinitialized SMP clients. They went through the upload step in less than a second and said no unsent WUs remained. what the heck? I am absolutely positive I am missing credit for three WUs. Is this just delayed posting of points?

Anyhoo, Peekeepokee you have whooped all up on me today. Perhaps tomorrow I will make a comeback :evil: :D :evil:

Hmmmm I don't have any good comeback images. I'm much better at gloating over victory.... hmmmmmm what does that say about me?

That was RHETORICAL people. R H E T O R I C A L :wink: :wink: :wink:

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:50 pm

Well my PPD is still below yours, but I can sustain.

You a Boston Bruins fan by any chance?

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:55 am

pikaporeon wrote:
Well my PPD is still below yours, but I can sustain.

You a Boston Bruins fan by any chance?

Nope don't follow hockey at all. Not a sports watcher in general.

If you sustain yesterday's numbers I got no chance. I also have to go away on business the next two weeks, which will slow me down considerably cause I will have to set my machines so they can run unmonitored.

All is not lost though, if those three big WUs would just post at least I'd be able to get some distance. Meh, thems the breaks.

Oh did I mention I got one SMP client choking on a 3065WU? It has increased my time between steps by at least 50%... :evil: :evil: :evil:

I wish I could make the 30XXs go away.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:22 am

david00214 wrote:
Oh did I mention I got one SMP client choking on a 3065WU? It has increased my time between steps by at least 50%... :evil: :evil: :evil:

I am working on a 3062 and that one seems pretty good?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:27 am

Flying Fox wrote:
david00214 wrote:

I am working on a 3062 and that one seems pretty good?

Me too and it's at 91% currently :D

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:35 am

Hmmmmm perhaps I should troubleshoot then. The system is taking over a half hour between steps, when I know it's capable of doing it in the 20 minute range.

I will try rebooting... Already tried restarting the SMP client.

OK did that. Everything looked good in the BIOS. On a whim I tightened my memory timings to see if that might help. I've been really lazy with memory lately. Just been letting the BIOS set the timings, which is always slower than what the memory is rated to do.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:48 am

Ouch system crashed on the tightened memory settings. The good/bad news is that I lost the WU.

I killed the Windows SMP client and tried starting the Linux SMP client in VM again. This one pulled a 2605 and is running.

I bumped the voltage a wee bit on the memory... If it crashes again I will probably just go to stock "auto" timings.

I'm coming for you Peekeepoo!

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:49 pm

OK obviously something pervasive is wrong. UGN, Peekeepoo, and myself are all failing to report WUs it looks like. Ouch so is Fuzzface. I guess we'll just have to keep count and see if we ever get credit. I'm up to 5 non-reporting big WUs on EOC.

I should also add that one of my SMP clients is idle because it can't get a WU. Is anyone else having this problem???

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:00 pm

Every system I have except my Q9300 and my server are unable to pick up WUs.

My server only finishes every 3 days so i dont know whats ntop reported

My Q9300 VM reports fine now, but I have lost a few WUs to deletion trying to at least fix one issue

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:07 pm

Yeah, the assignment server is spending quite a bit of time off in the weeds again and is spitting out 0.0.0.0 ips.

Create a shortcut with the ' -advmethods' flag or one without it, as the case may be, and do a little fishing at five minute intervals. Eventually it will grab a good ip and WU, or you can just let it hammer on the server until it gets a WU.

----

edit - Deleted WU note: When doing any tweaking I always make a backup copy of the work folder, the queue file, and the unitinfo file. If the tweak causes a crash I just delete those three items and restore a copy of the backup after adjusting the tweak.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:13 pm

Well Pika sense we are both affected we may as well just keep the race going. Hopefully we'll both get back on track soon.

What issues are you having with WUs deleting? I lost one big WU, but it was most likely my fault as I was trying to get the system to perform as it normally does and induced a crash.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:22 pm

farmpuma wrote:
Yeah, the assignment server is spending quite a bit of time off in the weeds again and is spitting out 0.0.0.0 ips.

Create a shortcut with the ' -advmethods' flag or one without it, as the case may be, and do a little fishing at five minute intervals. Eventually it will grab a good ip and WU, or you can just let it hammer on the server until it gets a WU.

----

edit - Deleted WU note: When doing any tweaking I always make a backup copy of the work folder, the queue file, and the unitinfo file. If the tweak causes a crash I just delete those three items and restore a copy of the backup after adjusting the tweak.

The WU I lost was taking WAY too long to go through a step, so I wasn't that unhappy to see it go. Your point is well received though. I shall make copies in the future :)

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:43 pm

david00214 wrote:
Well Pika sense we are both affected we may as well just keep the race going. Hopefully we'll both get back on track soon.

What issues are you having with WUs deleting? I lost one big WU, but it was most likely my fault as I was trying to get the system to perform as it normally does and induced a crash.

Oh the deleting was my own incompetence- Iwiped out my entire FAH folder trying to fix the issue.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:14 am

I know your PPD is gonna jump when WUs start sending, but these days have just been good for getting our PPD more realistic. My averages were still factoring in days of only a couple hundred points, which are just plain gone now.

Naturally when you post 10k points tomorrow that'll change, but i'll take it in stride.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:11 am

Ugh... 6 big WUs now... I'm just writing that here so I can keep track.

I now have one client that grabbed another WU, and the other is still unable to find work. I dunno what to do about that. Why would one be able to find a WU, but the other could not?

Pika I dunno if I'll be getting 10k points when the system fixes itself. 3 of the WUs I lost were lost over the weekend, when I was getting 5k PPD and everything seemed to be working. Those guys may have just gotten missed somehow.

If you look at me on EOC page, and on F@H page, there is only a 5k point discrepancy in TOTAL points.

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... arwin00214

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=280116

So it would seem like there are problems at EOC with reporting, and there are problems at F@H with WUs unable to upload/download. Maybe F@H's problems caused EOC to go haywire??? :-?

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:03 pm

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/

Top message in link:

Individual Stats Not Updating04.24.08, 8:10am CST

If you haven't noticed, the individual stats have not been updating for about a day now. Stanford is aware and working on the issue so please don't email me about it as it is beyond my control!

According to them it should be resolved within the next 12-24 hours. Until then we all just have to sit and wait. Sorry.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:35 pm

You seem to have picked up five thousand points today so maybe its resolved

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:09 pm

pikaporeon wrote:
You seem to have picked up five thousand points today so maybe its resolved

I think F@H still owes me a few thousand. I kinda doubt I will ever get them. Did you get squared away pointswise?

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:19 pm

Nope, but thats cos i no longer have anything to send up.

Plus my VMs died last night., I was not impressed. lol

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:33 pm

What's the issue? OC gone bad? Software glicth? Give us details so we can help...

Wait, that's not in my best interests..

OK gonna think about that one for a bit... [goes off to corner to ponder]

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:00 pm

vmware player coughing and dying. [and ramleaking and not folding]

Had to kill the process, which was not pretty. Restoring the saved state broke the network setting and made it unable to upload the WU it finished.

Oh well, the turnaround is short enough that this was my 2x WU day and I wont see a huge pitfall, i just wont see the boost i was hoping today.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:53 pm

pikaporeon wrote:
vmware player coughing and dying. [and ramleaking and not folding]

Had to kill the process, which was not pretty. Restoring the saved state broke the network setting and made it unable to upload the WU it finished.

Oh well, the turnaround is short enough that this was my 2x WU day and I wont see a huge pitfall, i just wont see the boost i was hoping today.

You're gonna need a boost soon :wink:

I've been threatless almost 4 days now. You'll need to have an overtake of earlier than 6 June by midnight tomorrow or I have won, yes?

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:30 pm

apparently.

Edit:
I fold.

my overclock just bluescreened. It's not gonna happen. XD
You cool if i leave my ps3 keeping my id?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:25 pm

It's not even May and it is already over? Leor would be throwing the P word around then. :o

Anyway, whatever you want to do to contribute. The nation appreciates all input.

Come Halloween we may all switch to Frankie though.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:36 pm

pikaporeon wrote:
apparently.

Edit:
I fold.

my overclock just bluescreened. It's not gonna happen. XD
You cool if i leave my ps3 keeping my id?

I'm cool with that. We still have 24 hours to go, however, and after the megapoints you pulled off a couple of days ago I am not counting ANY chickens just yet. So far, game well played.