Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Re: Winter weather

Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:25 am

SpotTheCat wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
At least the accumulation estimates seem to keep falling. Maybe it'll be less of a big deal than imagined.

moisture is not falling, they're just pushing back the time that it turns from rain to snow. Thank god it's not going to be 10-12 inches.

Right. I'm a heck of a lot less displeased with a bunc of rain than a bunch of snow, though.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:28 pm

OK, I just looked out my window and there was snow coming down. I realize that's not unusual for late April in, say, Calgary... but it's damn strange for around here.

And what's stranger, exactly a week ago it was 80°F -- and this is someplace where the average temp is less than 80° in late July. Actually, it was 80° right into the evening, and then it started cooling off. By noon the next day, it was 50° (which is normalish for this time of year). And now we're getting snow. I have friends who went skiing this weekend because there was fresh powder. They were getting sunburned on the beach last weekend.

Yay for retained energy causing wilder fluctuations....

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:56 am

We got down to almost freezing last week. And then had a high around 90 today. Weird weather.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:11 pm

It hasnt been all that strange around here. Winter came and forgot to leave. Usually by this time of year the snow is all gone in the valley with some left high on the mountains. We still have piles of snow in the valley in places and most of it hasnt melted off the mountains yet. Normally by the first part of april people are mowing lawns and farmers are planting crops. This year nobody has done anything yet. Notice all the white stuff in the pic. If you want it you can come get it free of charge.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:19 pm

There's still snow in low-level parts of Vermont, though it is fading fast. My worst problem is how to move around all of the lawn/topsoil that my plow guy so generously rearranged for me this winter. At least I finally found & repaired the break in the dog's Invisible Fence antenna wire; putting a 14yo Lab/mutt on the rope was no fun at 0dark:30.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:31 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
There's still snow in low-level parts of Vermont, though it is fading fast. My worst problem is how to move around all of the lawn/topsoil that my plow guy so generously rearranged for me this winter. At least I finally found & repaired the break in the dog's Invisible Fence antenna wire; putting a 14yo Lab/mutt on the rope was no fun at 0dark:30.

How well does the invisible fence thing work ? I have a dachshund than can dig under the fence and be gone in a matter of a couple of minutes. How much does it cost also ? My back yard is probably 60X100 or does size of the yard not matter that much. Finally do they make a model of collar that would fit on a 5 year old boy :D

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:42 pm

Hance wrote:
How well does the invisible fence thing work ? I have a dachshund than can dig under the fence and be gone in a matter of a couple of minutes. How much does it cost also ? My back yard is probably 60X100 or does size of the yard not matter that much. Finally do they make a model of collar that would fit on a 5 year old boy :D

OK, this is going to get lengthly.

The invisible fence concept is pretty basic. You bury an antenna wire around the space where you want the dog to stay, then hook up that wire to the "Invisible Fence Box". All DIY kits will have all of the instructions you need. A rented lawn edger (assuming you don't own one) is all you need to dig the "trench" the antenna wire goes in. If your box ends up in the garage like most IF boxes, all is easy. A small drill hole out the side of the garage is all you need to hook up the wire to the box. When I installed mine, I dug the trench with a lawn edger all around the house, then put the kit wire (18 or 20 gauge stranded wire) into the trench. Since the kit came with 2 spools of antenna wire I put each spool at the end of the trench between the perimeter and the hole in the garage wall that leads to the IF box. I ran each spool around the house to the other side and used a crimp terminal to join the wire. That left me with two ends needing to go from the perimeter to the IF box. Pull off enough wire to reach the box, add 20 feet or so, and then clamp the two wires into the chuck of your cordless drill. Slowly spin the drill until the entire length from the perimeter to the box is tightly twisted. If it isn't, the signal will never get to the antenna wire. Make up the connections to the box per the instructions.

Once the infrastructure is in place the real meat of this program begins. Invisible fences are all about the training of the dog. They are NOT simple "set it & forget it" devices. As you install the fence wire you'll need to plant a small flag (they come in the kit as well; they're a small plastic flag on a 18" wire) every 2 feet or so all around the perimeter. Once everything's in and running, put your dog on its leash and grab the fence collar (not by the prongs unless you're a "don't taze me bro"), holding it close to the dog's head. Walk the dog around the fenced perimeter (visible by the flags) crossing over the wire every 3-4 feet or so. As you get close to the wire the fence collar will emit a warning beep. Loudly yell "NO" and yank the dog back on the leash as soon as the collar emits its warning beep. Repeat this every 3-4 feet around the perimeter. After you've gone around the perimeter once, put the fence collar on the dog. Repeat your round but don't let the dog get into the shock warning zone then yanking back on the leash and yelling "NO".

For the third orbit around the lawn, keep the dog on its leash, bring it to the boundary, yell "NO" when the warning tone beeps, but allow the dog to push forward into the "shock zone". Most fence collars have a different beep when the shock is activated so you'll know if it's happening. Complete an orbit around the fence line allowing the dog to hit the shock. If the dog hasn't gotten the point after one orbit, keep going around.

Once it's clear that your dog understands the collar and the unrestricted range allowed by the collar, remove every other perimeter flag every other day. After a month you should have no flags and a dog that knows its boundaries. If not, it's time to call in the professionals. As for your Dachhsund being a digger, it'd need to be exceedingly pain-resistant to burrow under the IF antenna wire. My Radio Fence brand box has a signal strength knob; if yours has the same a wee crank will back the dog far enough away that it won't try to dig.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:08 pm

some "chill" dogs are ok with these systems (generally the type that wouldn't run away anyways), but I've seen a lot of them go neurotic.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:24 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
some "chill" dogs are ok with these systems (generally the type that wouldn't run away anyways), but I've seen a lot of them go neurotic.

I'd agree that invisible fence training "takes" better the younger the dog. It's certainly not something you can install and automagically expect your 12 year old Golden to grok without the requisite training.

Just so we're all on the same page here, the shock part of an invisible fence collar is not supposed to be the primary deterrent. If you've properly trained your dog to respond to the collar's warning sound, you've done your job. If you install the system, put the collar on your dog, and just launch the dog into the yard without training & supervision you'll not have a good outcome.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:08 am

Captain Ned wrote:
SpotTheCat wrote:

I'd agree that invisible fence training "takes" better the younger the dog. It's certainly not something you can install and automagically expect your 12 year old Golden to grok without the requisite training.

Just so we're all on the same page here, the shock part of an invisible fence collar is not supposed to be the primary deterrent. If you've properly trained your dog to respond to the collar's warning sound, you've done your job. If you install the system, put the collar on your dog, and just launch the dog into the yard without training & supervision you'll not have a good outcome.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to have to look into it soon.

About 5:00 this morning I heard a snowplow go by and was like WTF is going on. When I got up this is what I found

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:10 pm

Hance wrote:
I have a dachshund
Hance, a.... daschund? I would've pegged you as the kind of man who has a Real Dog™

But I guess when you're getting in and out of your truck it helps to have a dog you can carry in your handbag.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:15 pm

Heh, chance of snow this weekend and next week.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:10 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Hance wrote:
I have a dachshund
Hance, a.... daschund? I would've pegged you as the kind of man who has a Real Dog™

But I guess when you're getting in and out of your truck it helps to have a dog you can carry in your handbag.

My cop buddy says they are illegal in idaho because they get high centered in the snow. I dont really have anywhere a big dog could run free so I dont want one of them. I dont like the idea of them being penned up almost all the time.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:36 am

WTF?

And people laughed when I said I wanted to keep the snow tires on until April 15. :lol:

(I haven't even ordered my summers yet - waiting until payday to do that - so it's all good.)

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:20 am

I'm laughing because you parked on the grass.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:30 am

Actually, I didn't - there's about 4 or so inches between the car and the grass. But thanks for playing. ;)

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:18 am

bhtooefr wrote:
Actually, I didn't - there's about 4 or so inches between the car and the grass. But thanks for playing. ;)

You parked off the pavement, it looks like
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:10 am

idchafee wrote:
You parked off the pavement, it looks like
He was parking to minimize the chance any idiot parking in the next spot would give him a door ding. I often do the same thing.

(By snow tires I assume you mean M+S, not studs?)

Inkling
TR Staff

Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:21 am

It only reached 50 degrees F yesterday, and we had frost this morning. I'm starting to think that winter will never leave. Am I gonna be setting off 4th-of-July fireworks wearing mittens and a scarf??
Nations, cultures, arts, civilisations-these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendours. -C.S. Lewis

newbie_of_jan0502
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:27 am

It was 52 here this morning. Cool for Houston

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:50 am

Inkling wrote:
Am I gonna be setting off 4th-of-July fireworks wearing mittens and a scarf??
We do that here pretty regularly. Well, not mittens and scarf, but I've lost track of the number of times I've stood outside in a sweater and jacket, watching "fireworks" that consist of the mist and clouds brightening briefly in various colors.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:05 pm

Yes, M+S tires (but not all-seasons.) (IIRC, October 15 to April 15 is the range in which you can run studs.)

Anyway, yeah, I do park a bit close to the grass. But, trust me, I'm still on the pavement.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:43 pm

I just put my new summer wheels/tires on last weekend. No snow here, but it did drop below freezing after midnight last night.
COLD this moring when you are used to going to work w/out a jacket as of late.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:08 pm

Something tells me that these (the summer wheels+tires I'm getting) would've been rather ugly on the roads this morning...

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -0057.html

(Annoyingly, they increased the price on the special by $100, although it does have a set of spline drive lugs included now... but those normally cost $80...)

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:28 pm

Sydney just had it's coldest April day on record. City 16c at 3pm, mountains 3c at 3pm and snow.
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Fri May 02, 2008 12:29 am

Man you guys whine alot. I was in Teton National Park working two days ago. There is 5 feet of snow on the ground and it was 30 degrees.

Inkling
TR Staff

Fri May 02, 2008 12:41 am

Hance wrote:
Man you guys whine alot. I was in Teton National Park working two days ago. There is 5 feet of snow on the ground and it was 30 degrees.

Elevation?
Nations, cultures, arts, civilisations-these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendours. -C.S. Lewis

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Fri May 02, 2008 8:38 am

Inkling wrote:
Hance wrote:

Elevation?

Its around 6500 feet I think. It was snowing down as low as 4500 feet here yesterday. One of these days winter is going to leave

Angie1313
Gerbil

Mon May 05, 2008 1:41 pm

the winter weather is gone here!! It's sunny out and i'm taking the top off the Jeep for the ride home
It measures your competence by your IT training.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:34 pm

OK WTF send some global warming my way ok guys. It snowed again today and I still have the heat turned on. Usually by this time of year we have atleast somewhat decent weather.