Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

adampk17
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Final deadline missed but client continues to chug along

Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:53 am

I have a e6300 that has missed the final deadline today on a 3062 SMP WU. This computer is on 24 hours a day, the only explaination for it being late has to be that I use it fairly heavily for 9 hours during weekdays. I'll be upgrading it to a e6550 shortly, hopefully that will give it the little extra ommph that it needs.

Anyway, I read on another thread that supposedly: "After the final deadline has expired, the client will automatically discard the work unit and download new work." Well... that hasn't happened. My client continues to chug merrily along. Should I just stop it and force it to get a new work unit? I figure the answer is yes but I'm new at this so I figure it can't hurt to ask the experts here.

Thanks for your insight and knowledge!
Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost.

Core i7-8086K | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 3200 | SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G| Corsair CX750M PSU

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Re: Final deadline missed but client continues to chug along

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:06 am

Did you configure it to ignore deadlines?

adampk17
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:24 am

Not that I am aware of. I don't recall seeing that setting during installation.

Core i7-8086K | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 3200 | SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G| Corsair CX750M PSU

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:44 am

By "chugging along" what do you mean? The WU goes to >100%? Or it already discarded the WU and grabbed a new one to work on?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:50 am

There appears to be issues with some SMP clients right now. I have one that can't connect to upload a WU and acquire a new one. Perhaps your system cannon connect, therefore it cannot verify that it should delete the WU and start a new one. Are you getting any messages where it tries to connect to the server but fails?
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

adampk17
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:54 am

Flying Fox wrote:
By "chugging along" what do you mean? The WU goes to >100%? Or it already discarded the WU and grabbed a new one to work on?

By chugging along I mean the client is at 84% and seems to be oblivious to the fact that its missed the deadline. It's been past the deadline for about 11 hours and during that time it has processed about 18% of the WU.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:56 am

adampk17 wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

By chugging along I mean the client is at 84% and seems to be oblivious to the fact that its missed the deadline. It's been past the deadline for about 11 hours and during that time it has processed about 18% of the WU.

The check will only happen when it tries to send the WU when completed I believe.

adampk17
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:06 am

Flying Fox wrote:
The check will only happen when it tries to send the WU when completed I believe.

Interesting, it kinda dumb that the client only does a check once its finished the work unit. What's the point? It'll be starting a new WU at that time anyway.

So kill it then, I'm just wasting Stanford's and my time?

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:15 am

adampk17 wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

Interesting, it kinda dumb that the client only does a check once its finished the work unit. What's the point? It'll be starting a new WU at that time anyway.

Since it is so close I would let it run. I dunno, I've never had to worry about a timeline. I've always killed them. There really is something screwy going on with the SMP WUs right now, either at Stanford or just at EOC. If you kill your WU, just be prepared for your system to sit idle.

Ah I have an idea. Copy your WU over to another file, then delete it and force the client to DL a new WU. If your client can download a new WU then you have a good connection, so go ahead and let the new WU run. If your client cannot connect and get a WU, you may as well copy your mostly finished but exprired WU back in and let it run.

Right now I have one SMP client that can successfully connect and one that cannot, so that's why I caution just deleting the WU. There's a chance you are working for one of the servers that is down.
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:17 am

adampk17 wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

You will have to remember the client supports the "ask for permission to go online" option. So if it does the deadline check before those users who expect them to ask when the WU is done this may not be so good.

adampk17 wrote:
Probably. May be I would back up the unit first and only delete the working files after it has successfully downloaded and is working on the new WU.

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:29 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
adampk17 wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

You will have to remember the client supports the "ask for permission to go online" option. So if it does the deadline check before those users who expect them to ask when the WU is done this may not be so good.

adampk17 wrote:
Probably. May be I would back up the unit first and only delete the working files after it has successfully downloaded and is working on the new WU.

The client checks the deadline at start, restart, and probably before sending. It's based on the local system clock (learned via a painful 85% finished lesson), so you should be able to stop the client and set your system clock back to yesterday. This should allow you to finish the WU and send it. Most likely the server will reject it or dump it, but it's worth a try.

edit - To Stanford, Dear Persons, It's well past time to relax the SMP deadlines ... Please? My 2.4GHz dual Xeon (Prestonia - 24 x 100MHz fsb) can not make the final deadlines on the 30xx WUs!
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:10 pm

Flying Fox wrote:

The check also occurs when you start the client again.