Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Radio Control Hobbies

Mon May 05, 2008 8:46 am

I've been using a CNC hotwire at school. I'm spoiled.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 08, 2008 7:59 am

I've got a Blade CX2 as well. Fun stuff. I just picked up a Honey Bee King 2 from someone who realized just how hard it is to learn to fly and found he didn't have the patience. I'll post some pictures later. Right now it is in pieces on my workbench upstairs. The guy got rid of it after a blade strike that took out the ESC. I tore down the head to make sure nothing was bent up.

Hance, I'm curious to hear how you do with the Blade 400. I'm considering getting one. The HBK2 comes with a bare bones 72Mhz radio and the DX6i that comes with the the Blade 400 seems rather nice for an entry level computer radio.

**Edit**

I'm using ClearView for my flight sim training. It's about $40 and while it certainly isn't RealFlight G4 or anything, it seems to do a pretty good job. The Blade CX model they have exhibits the same ground effects skittishness as my CX2.

--SS

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu May 08, 2008 8:08 am

So far its going pretty well with the 400. Going through RADDS has helped alot. I am still working on being able to do a good solid hover but I am close to it. I put some expo in the radio to try and slow the reaction of the heli down but the heli is way to soft with expo so i need to program it back out.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu May 08, 2008 9:32 am

SpotTheCat wrote:

Maybe if you ask nicely Greg will let you run off your own project?

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu May 08, 2008 12:50 pm

mattsteg wrote:
SpotTheCat wrote:

Maybe if you ask nicely Greg will let you run off your own project?

I haven't quite worked out a design yet (for myself, I had been working on that other one), and I don't think the hotwire is Greg's responsibility, I think it is Hammer's. I don't think it's ethical for me to just spin something off for myself.

I bet I could come in to teach some new kids how to run the hotwire in the fall, and run my own project through as an example. That machine isn't exactly intuitive to get specialized (spar mounts, kerf elimination, etc.) results out of and have them come out clean on a first run of (relatively) expensive EPP foam.

I'm also looking at acquiring a second-hand vacuum pump. If I can get that I'll be churning out all sorts of nice composite parts. You'd be amazed at how much nicer fiberglass parts are than regular plastic, if you know how to make them. If I can find a used vacuum pump (they start at $350 new :o) I can get going on making a few things I've always wanted, but could never afford.

I'm hoping to make a more powerful and robust zagi-sh flying wing that flies well at all speeds.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 08, 2008 4:37 pm

Hance wrote:
So far its going pretty well with the 400. Going through RADDS has helped alot. I am still working on being able to do a good solid hover but I am close to it. I put some expo in the radio to try and slow the reaction of the heli down but the heli is way to soft with expo so i need to program it back out.

That is one of the things I have been using the simulator for. Don't know about the 400, but the HBK2 is pretty well uncontrollable in the simulator with linear response. I've been tweaking the control settings in the simulator trying to find a good compromise. Once I get the heli flyable, I have a good starting point for setting up the transmitter.

Right now I am working with a -40% expo on the cyclic. It's a little bit soft in the response but way better than linear. I'm still working on calming the tail down. It is very twitchy. I'm very curious to see how the simulator will match with the real world.

--SS

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 08, 2008 4:52 pm

Just curious, why do you need a vacuum pump for fiberglass.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu May 08, 2008 4:55 pm

Heiwashin wrote:

He's looking to make somewhat sophisticated parts.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu May 08, 2008 5:04 pm

Heiwashin wrote:

I can make much better (stronger, lighter, by all measures except cheaper) parts with one than I can without.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 08, 2008 5:13 pm

Googled some info, what an attractive method. I'm gonna have to do some experimenting with that one myself.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu May 08, 2008 5:24 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Googled some info, what an attractive method. I'm gonna have to do some experimenting with that one myself.

But you need a pump!

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 08, 2008 5:27 pm

Well, i know some other people around here that do fiberglassing on a regular basis but no one has ever shown me that. I'm gonna ask and see if any of them have had any experience with it and hopefully they'll have a pump :lol:
When drunk.....

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu May 08, 2008 7:16 pm

Building your own plane might be kind of fun but the problem I have is the lack of time to do it. I would rather spend my time flying instead of designing building. Maybe this winter when its to cold to fly I will get some foam and play with building my own.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 08, 2008 7:19 pm

Hance wrote:
Building your own plane might be kind of fun but the problem I have is the lack of time to do it. I would rather spend my time flying instead of designing building. Maybe this winter when its to cold to fly I will get some foam and play with building my own.

I understand where your coming from. I'd rather build things then play with them.
When drunk.....

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu May 08, 2008 7:26 pm

I would never STOP building. I don't like just flying stuff around, that's no fun. I like to continually optimize what I have until it reaches my goal... and when it reaches my goal I always get this "oh... ok...yay! ... ..." feeling, and I make new goals and start on that.

I definitely get my high building, optimizing, testing, etc. than just flying.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu May 08, 2008 7:31 pm

I can see where you guys are coming from people like to do different things in their spare time. I have done construction work for 18 years now and have people tell me how relaxing wood work is. To me its work to them its a relaxing hobby. To me building the plane would be more like work than a hobby.

If you come up with a really cool design spot build it and mail it to me. I promise to not turn it into confetti until at least the second flight :lol:

SnowboardingTobi
Gerbil Team Leader
Location: in your house, on the toilet, reading the newspaper

Thu May 08, 2008 8:13 pm

I started in RC with cars back in the 80's. Had a few Tamiya cars/trucks and the original RC10 with the gold anodized chassis (that thing was heavy). Then I had a long break from the hobby up until a few years back when I bought an HPI RS4 Pro 3. Shortly after that, I bought a Hirobo Sceadu .50 heli and I've been flying it on and off ever since. I'm ok flying the heli. I can do all sorts of trick flying in the simulator, but actually trying it in real life? Uhh... don't have the guts to try. hahaha :lol:
///_-)

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu May 08, 2008 8:18 pm

Hance wrote:
If you come up with a really cool design spot build it and mail it to me. I promise to not turn it into confetti until at least the second flight :lol:

Oh, I have several really sweet looking designs, I'm just working out which one(s) I want to build :D

How about you come over here and I'll let you take a stab. The design I'm working on is something to help me learn to fly a wing better, which means it will be durable, maneuverable yet stable enough to auto-recover, thrust ratio of 1.2 or better.

I have all of that stuff worked out with the shape, what I'm working out now before I buy anything is how to do a blended body design that I can access easily in the field, but is still robust enough for when I put it down a bit hard. I'm no test pilot, but I build **** you can't break :D

My other fun design is a very simple delta wing with very complex controls. I've got a way to do nice looking pitch-only thrust vectoring :D I have yet to figure out how on earth I would fly the thing (physically with the controller). I don't think I'll try this one until at least my second home-built plane. It sounds incredibly fun to work on though, lots of fun bits to integrate! The best part about electric planes is the insane thrust/weight you can attain with small aircraft.

I'm getting into 2.4ghz this time around, so if you have any suggestions to controller/receiver combos let me know. Physical size matters more to me at this point than weight.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu May 08, 2008 8:40 pm

I have seen thrust vectoring on a flying wing before. Basically it was a second servo tied to the receiver on the elevator channel. The system moved the elevator and the ducted fans at the same time. It looked cool but I didnt actually see it fly so I have no idea how well it worked.

As far as radios go the stuff that Spektrum RC makes is hard to beat. The DX7 will run you around 350 bucks and is a very nice radio with a 20 model memory. The DX6i dont forget the i thats important is about 180 bucks and is a full range 2.4ghz radio the plain DX6 is not a full range radio. The DX6i does almost everything the DX7 does but only has 6 channels and has a 10 model memory versus a 20 model memory. My new helicopter came with the DX6i and it seems like a very nice radio so far. Once you learn how to program it you can add another model to the radio in just a few minutes. Then when you want to change models all you do is open up the model select menu and pick the model you want to fly. The radio has MODEL MATCH which makes it impossible to fly a model with the wrong model selected on the radio. Model match is a good feature because if you are like me and have 2 helis and 1 plane all programed into the radio you cant try to fly your heli with a plane selected. This prevents crashes and saves money. The gimbals on it are nice and smooth and the tension can be adjusted to suit your tastes. There is a ton of different receiver choices for the Spektrum radios all the way from tiny 2 gram models up to 9 channel mult antenna jobs.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu May 08, 2008 9:01 pm

Hance wrote:
I have seen thrust vectoring on a flying wing before. Basically it was a second servo tied to the receiver on the elevator channel. The system moved the elevator and the ducted fans at the same time. It looked cool but I didnt actually see it fly so I have no idea how well it worked.

As far as radios go the stuff that Spektrum RC makes is hard to beat. The DX7 will run you around 350 bucks and is a very nice radio with a 20 model memory. The DX6i dont forget the i thats important is about 180 bucks and is a full range 2.4ghz radio the plain DX6 is not a full range radio. The DX6i does almost everything the DX7 does but only has 6 channels and has a 10 model memory versus a 20 model memory. My new helicopter came with the DX6i and it seems like a very nice radio so far. Once you learn how to program it you can add another model to the radio in just a few minutes. Then when you want to change models all you do is open up the model select menu and pick the model you want to fly. The radio has MODEL MATCH which makes it impossible to fly a model with the wrong model selected on the radio. Model match is a good feature because if you are like me and have 2 helis and 1 plane all programed into the radio you cant try to fly your heli with a plane selected. This prevents crashes and saves money. The gimbals on it are nice and smooth and the tension can be adjusted to suit your tastes. There is a ton of different receiver choices for the Spektrum radios all the way from tiny 2 gram models up to 9 channel mult antenna jobs.

What do you think about Futaba 6EX? I do not need more than 6 channels (yet) and if I ever do I'm sure I will be spending a lot of money building whatever uses more than 6 channels and at that point I'm sure it will be a drop in the proverbial bucket. 6 is plenty for now :D

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu May 08, 2008 9:39 pm

Futaba makes good stuff. I think they are a bit overpriced for the same features versus JR or Spektrum but they are a good solid radio. The hobby shop here which is the best I have ever seen and I travel in 14 states for work only sells JR, Spektrum and Futaba. If you want to get fancy just get the 14MZ and be done with it. Last I checked the going price was $2,399 no that isnt a typo :o

Saber Cherry
Gerbil XP

Thu May 08, 2008 9:42 pm

I thought RC stuff was neat when I was younger. Now, I am only interested in one aspect - I would love a RC Airsoft tank. Does anyone have one? Dan's Data used to review them occasionally (but the guns were always weak). Maybe some day... for the anti-squirrel patrol only, of course.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 10, 2008 9:47 am

When I was at the hobby shop yesterday I seen some small hand held hot wire cutters. If your interested Spot I can check on the price next time I am in the store.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat May 10, 2008 10:07 am

Hance wrote:
When I was at the hobby shop yesterday I seen some small hand held hot wire cutters. If your interested Spot I can check on the price next time I am in the store.

I know how to make my own hotwire pretty well. We have a nice home-built that the industrial professor made that I could mimic. The CNC one is just so much more powerful.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 10, 2008 10:53 am

Well you better start saving up your pennies then maybe even dollar bills for a cnc one :lol:

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat May 10, 2008 11:27 am

Hance wrote:
Well you better start saving up your pennies then maybe even dollar bills for a cnc one :lol:

They run about 3-4 grand I think.

We have one like this http://www.foamlinx.com/fc2913.html

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 10, 2008 8:00 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
Hance wrote:

They run about 3-4 grand I think.

We have one like this http://www.foamlinx.com/fc2913.html

That is really nice, if i keep reading this thread i'm gonna end up in this hobby. Living in the middle of nowhere could actually work in my favor here... :lol:
When drunk.....

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat May 10, 2008 8:02 pm

You can realistically increase the width of it past 50" if you need. The smallest ones can make surprisingly large wings.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 10, 2008 9:04 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
That is really nice, if i keep reading this thread i'm gonna end up in this hobby. Living in the middle of nowhere could actually work in my favor here... :lol:

If you want to get into RC airplanes and helis rob a bank first you will need the money down the road :( I thought computers were a money pit until I got more and more into RC stuff. Computers are cheap in comparison

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 10, 2008 9:11 pm

:lol: How much are we talking to start out with a nice controller and something to learn with.*heli
When drunk.....