Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

m3
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:47 am

I am going to get a GF4 Ti 4400 card, but since there are so many out there I am not sure which brand I should go for. I have Hercules in my mind for its ability to overclock, but I would like more real users opinion.

Also with $100 difference, is it worth to get GF4 Ti 4600?

Thanks guys!!

Lou Natic
Gerbil

Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:56 am

Hercules does not make nVidia cards any longer, they switched to ATi.

As far as which one to get, any of the major players (Asus, Gainward, Leadtek, Visiontek, possibly PNY) will be close to identical in ability and image quality. The Gainward cards have gained a reputation for being monster overclockers, and they do seem to produce better numbers when pushed than most other cards, not to meantion the ability of being pushed a bit farther than the others. The Leadteks have fancy cooling on them that looks cool and seems to be effective (but loud). The Asus cards seem to be the fastest at default clock speeds, with the Visiontek being a close 2nd.

I'm actually surprised with the Visiontek GF4s, they are actually overclocking quite a bit higher than most cards. And they use the reference cooling solution, nothing fancy.

Freon
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:14 am

I'm pretty sure PNY are just relabeled intended-for-OEM MSI boards.

Stay away from the cheapy intended-for-OEM MSI boards.

newdan02
Gerbil

Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:52 pm

I've only heard good things about recent leadtek cards. I don't know where the last guy came up about MSI having cheap crappy OEM cards, considering that their Ti series were probably the best on the market.

St. Babu
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:56 pm

Agreed. I've never had any problems with MSI gear. My Asus Geforce 3 is the stuff, too, and I've heard good stuff about other people's experiences, so I know they produce quality product.

overlord_21
Gerbil

Sun Apr 07, 2002 12:56 am

I switched over to the Visiontek line a few years ago. I've used the Ti200, had a Ti500 and now I'm running a Ti4600, all Visiontek. Yes they're pricey but well worth the quality.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Apr 07, 2002 2:28 am

I'd really like to know why you think MSI boards are "crappy." I worked for an OEM manufacturer. We would try and go with MSI instead of Intel (esentially the same board, cheaper price.) Also, I hate to break it to you, but MSI manufactures the motherboards for Dell. Now, Dell obviously made a wise decision because they are rather successful. And one last thing. There is only one difference between the "intended-for-OEM-boards" and the ones intended for end users: the box it's put in.

Syko
Gerbil

Visiontek all the way.

Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:20 pm

In late '99 I ordered an alienware. In it was a Geforce 2 GTS 64meg video card from visiontek. That was my baby, played every game, new old, with no problems, then, I heard about the Geforce 4 line coming out. I was intrigued, and decided to preorder the visiontek version of the geforce4 Ti 4600. It was well worth the price. Visiontek just makes the most stable videocards I have ever owned. I love 'em, and so do millions of others, so do the right thing, get a visiontek. Oh yeah, those suckers over clock very well with the right type of fanning. :D
I'd like to send a shout out to my buddies out there, Team N.I.N.J.A., The lumberjacks union(who arent really lumberjacks), ogre, Bk Bitch, Joe, Miguel, Danny, Toad, and all the rest I can't mention, you know who you are!

Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Birmingham ENGLAND (some say Mars, or was it Uranus)

Sat Apr 20, 2002 10:12 am

The GF4TI4400 is great and o/c to 4600 speeds regardless of which manu you choose, it's the chipset that's the real factor in both perf and o/c, don't be fooled in to paying extra cash for what will prob come down to an extra 5% o/c if you're EXTREMELY lucky.

Don't forget the GF4TI4200 is out in shops by end of month and it seems likely they'll o/c to 4400 levels but save you $140 / £100 which you could put to upgrading your RAM now that PC2700 is officially out (and near RIMM perf).

The 4600 is of course best, but it makes more sense to me to get a 4200 and update the RAM if not the CPU, don't forget the 4600's don't o/c much at all as they're near the technological limit.

hope this helps.