Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

Linza
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Most internal SATA on a motherboard?

Sat May 17, 2008 7:53 pm

Hey So I've been looking around for parts to build a new comp and the motherboard for what I want is a little hard to come by

so far the closest thing I see to what I want is Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R that has 8 Sata

The MB I have now is the ASUS P5WD2-e Premium was good....... for about a month......when it came out till I found out it didn't suport C2D when it was released but whatever it's been about 1.5 years and my OC D930 @ 4ghz needs to be replaced and since this sh*t motherboard can't use C2D need to get that too...
It also has 8 SATA.......

Also on a side note..... I believe most MB that have 8 or more use 2 seperate controllers usually for the hard drives

I actually have this really horrible issue where if I transfer data from a hdd on the intel chipset to one on the marvell chipset it kinda goes really slow 3mbs a second.....

Well if anyone has any suggestions please fill me in
also looking into getting the Q9450

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: Most internal SATA on a motherboard?

Sat May 17, 2008 8:04 pm

Several motherboards include a J-Micron RAID controller to add to the SATA ports connected to the Intel ICH9R southbridge. There are PCIe or PCI solutions, too.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Sat May 17, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

emi25
Gerbil XP

Sat May 17, 2008 8:07 pm

Can you be a bit more clear of what you want ?
p.s. Welcome to the TR forum.

edit: you need more than 8 SATA connections ?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat May 17, 2008 8:17 pm

The GA-EP35-DS3P offers 8 SATA ports and a slot that's suitable for a PCIe X4 controller card (like this one) to add 8 more.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun May 18, 2008 1:09 pm

All the motherboards using Intel chipsets have some variant of the ICH9 south bridge, which supports up to 6 SATA ports. Since Intel removed PATA support from the ICH9, most motherboards have an auxiliary chip to add that back, and those chips usually give them some additional SATA ports "for free." So however many SATA ports a board may offer, if there's more than 6 then some of them will be hanging off another chip.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun May 18, 2008 1:51 pm

If you're looking at Gigabyte P35 mobos, I'd like to wave my EP35-DS4 around in the air a little. It has 8 SATA like the others mentioned, but does not have the bizarre DDR2-DDR3 weirdness of the P35C. 6 of the SATA ports are on the ICH9R, the other two come off the JMB363 JMicron controller (called GSATA or somesuch by Gigabyte). All work quite nicely and interoperate without trouble.

I got this one over the DS3R/DS3P because I wanted >6 ports, and I wanted AHCI (I believe ICH9R has AHCI, ICH9 does not). AHCI doesn't make single tasks any faster, but I assure you AHCI certainly does make things a whole lot better any time your OS disk comes under load. Without AHCI I would get a stuttery and unresponsive system, sometimes hiccuping audio or the like as well. With AHCI I can beat on my disks a lot harder before that happens.

Also, with non-AHCI SATA and PATA, I found that trying to start a second file copy/move between two disks when one was already happening was a recipe for disaster. If the ETA on copy #1 was 10 minutes, and I started a second ~10 minute copy, suddenly the disks would begin rattling and crunching horribly and both ETAs would stabilize in the hour+ area. With AHCI it's much more logical, two 10 minute copies take roughly 15 minutes to finish, and there's no horrible noises.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun May 18, 2008 2:06 pm

GA-P35-DS3R, GA-P35-DS3P and GA-P35-DS4 all use the same Intel P35 north bridge and Intel ICH9R south bridge.

P35-DS3R has only one PCIe X16 slot. P35-DS3P and P35-DS4 have a second physical PCIe X16 slot that works at X4 speed.

P35-DS4 has the fanciest heatpipe cooler that covers the north bridge, the south bridge and most of the power circuitry around the CPU socket, while P35-DS3P's heatpipe cooler covers only the north bridge and the main power modules behind the CPU socket, relying on more pedestrian heatsinks for the south bridge and the stuff above the CPU socket.

morphine
TR Staff

Sun May 18, 2008 2:22 pm

/me hugs his Gigabyte P965-DS3.

6 SATA ports, two on ICH8 and two on JMicron. Works flawlessly, and is the most stable/trouble-free board I ever had, save for my old 440BX.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun May 18, 2008 7:56 pm

Forge wrote:
I got this one over the DS3R/DS3P because I wanted >6 ports, and I wanted AHCI (I believe ICH9R has AHCI, ICH9 does not). AHCI doesn't make single tasks any faster, but I assure you AHCI certainly does make things a whole lot better any time your OS disk comes under load. Without AHCI I would get a stuttery and unresponsive system, sometimes hiccuping audio or the like as well. With AHCI I can beat on my disks a lot harder before that happens.

Also, with non-AHCI SATA and PATA, I found that trying to start a second file copy/move between two disks when one was already happening was a recipe for disaster. If the ETA on copy #1 was 10 minutes, and I started a second ~10 minute copy, suddenly the disks would begin rattling and crunching horribly and both ETAs would stabilize in the hour+ area. With AHCI it's much more logical, two 10 minute copies take roughly 15 minutes to finish, and there's no horrible noises.
I suppose this is NCQ doing its thing, not "just AHCI"? May be a good idea to see if you can turn off NCQ and try some benches. ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun May 25, 2008 8:33 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Forge wrote:

I suppose this is NCQ doing its thing, not "just AHCI"? May be a good idea to see if you can turn off NCQ and try some benches. ;)

Yeah, I was mix/matching AHCI and NCQ. Can't disable AHCI/NCQ separately on this board, and I believe it's the same for most others. The Nvidia stuff does NCQ but not AHCI. I never saw any options to enable/disable NCQ there, though.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.