Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Re: NBA Finals

Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:25 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:
I have a severe dislike for Kobe, so it's pretty easy to guess who I want to win.

I love watching Kobetry totake over gamesand fail miserably.

He can...but when he tries to do it all and fails...the team does as well. He reminds me of the petulant child who didnt get his way. I read an article the other day that when he was going through the legal hassles in Colorado...the Lakers furnished him air fare. He was pissed because it wasnt a private jet???? Jebus.
Amazingly enough, his complaint was that the private jet they provided him with wasn't good enough.

link
It was from Phil Jackson's book.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:50 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
He can...but when he tries to do it all and fails...the team does as well. He reminds me of the petulant child who didnt get his way. I read an article the other day that when he was going through the legal hassles in Colorado...the Lakers furnished him air fare. He was pissed because it wasnt a private jet???? Jebus.

In my mind Kobe is one of the symptoms of what's wrong with basketball these days and why this Celtics run is so refreshing. The Lakers' game plan is Kobe leading the 4 dwarfs who happen to be on the court at the moment. The Celtics are clearly a Team in the unfashionable all for one/one for all concept. From what I've watched in this series the Celtics do what they must to win with no regard for personal glory; in fact they have a tinge of March Madness about them. The Lakers, OTOH, have been so beaten down by Kobe's need to be the only star that they've simply resigned themselves to waiting to see what Kobe will do. Phil Jackson is clearly a large part of this; maybe one day he'll finally realize that Kobe is no MJ.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:56 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
LicketySplit wrote:

In my mind Kobe is one of the symptoms of what's wrong with basketball these days and why this Celtics run is so refreshing. The Lakers' game plan is Kobe leading the 4 dwarfs who happen to be on the court at the moment. The Celtics are clearly a Team in the unfashionable all for one/one for all concept. From what I've watched in this series the Celtics do what they must to win with no regard for personal glory; in fact they have a tinge of March Madness about them. The Lakers, OTOH, have been so beaten down by Kobe's need to be the only star that they've simply resigned themselves to waiting to see what Kobe will do. Phil Jackson is clearly a large part of this; maybe one day he'll finally realize that Kobe is no MJ.

If its team ball you're looking for, might I suggest the WNBA?

Seriously. I'm a Chicago Sky STH.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:01 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

But even back in the regular season it is Gasol who kind of makes Kobe back alive again. I don't see this year's rendition of the Lakers as that Kobe-centric? Perhaps they reverted back to old habits but I guess I wouldn't know, since I didn't watch the last game. :oops:
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:24 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

But even back in the regular season it is Gasol who kind of makes Kobe back alive again. I don't see this year's rendition of the Lakers as that Kobe-centric? Perhaps they reverted back to old habits but I guess I wouldn't know, since I didn't watch the last game. :oops:
There's certainly been a regression away from what (apparently, as I didn't really watch them) made them successful in the regular season and in the stretches of this series where they've had success. A lot of it has been Boston D putting the clamps down and slowing the team attack, though. They've certainly played stretches of excellent basketball. They wouldn't have been up 24, nor would they have come back from 20 down, if that wasn't the case. The lack of clamp-down defense and vulnerability to having everyone start watching Kobe do his thing when things get tough are huge weaknesses.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:20 pm

Did i mention i love leprechans and green :lol: Allen was a stud in the last game..as was Pierce. Eddie House and Posey contributed greatly as well...hmmm...teamwork..thats what it takes. Kobe is a great player but prone to putting it all on his shoulders. I surely did love to see the hustle that Boston showed in the 2nd half of game 4..no question that they were hungry.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:27 pm

Celtics are leaving no doubt tonight. Classic Kobe line so far: ~30% shooting, 1 assist.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:02 pm

That was a stomping

edit: not even 5 minutes after the game ended, and I have 3 spam e-mails offering to sell me Celtics championship gear. :roll:

LicketySplit
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:14 pm

Man...bringin home number 17!!!!!!!!!!!!! How about RONDO tonite? Hot damn...what a great game..woooohooooooooooooo :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:16 pm

Well deserved title. They played with a lot of heart and soul. Ray Allen was on fire as well as the rest of the team.

Edit: Was David Stern getting booed? It seemed like it.
| May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house |

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:21 pm

At long last Garnett finally wins one. May be now he can retire? :lol:

I still remember Paul Molitor going to the 93 Blue Jays because he needed a World Series before he retired, and he got it.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:47 pm

He wont retire yet...he has a couple more titles to grab :lol:

Yes...they were booing Stern..mostly about the ref scandal and the circumstances surrounding it.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:59 am

Flying Fox wrote:
I still remember Paul Molitor going to the 93 Blue Jays because he needed a World Series before he retired, and he got it.

Ray Bourque

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:43 am

LicketySplit wrote:
Man...bringin home number 17!!!!!!!!!!!!! How about RONDO tonite? Hot damn...what a great game..woooohooooooooooooo :lol:
I really like what Rondo brings. If he can add a reliable jump shot to keep opponents from helping off of him too much he could really become a tough matchup. Love the heart and hustle.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:32 am

LicketySplit wrote:
I don't follow the NBA too closely, but can the Celtics keep the "big 3" next year? May not be as "easy" as this year...

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:46 am

Flying Fox wrote:
LicketySplit wrote:
I don't follow the NBA too closely, but can the Celtics keep the "big 3" next year? May not be as "easy" as this year...

They've all got 2 or more years left on their contract.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:21 pm

The better team won, the Lakers D in the 2nd half was a joke (hey gusy lets leave Ray Allen open all day)

and Kobe going 1 on 4 was obviously not working.