Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Uninstalling Ubuntu from a Laptop

Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:07 pm

Hello,

My gf wants me to uninstall Ubuntu from her laptap. It was installed on her D: drive which also contains some of her backup files so I don't want to just format if I don't have too. This was a full install of Ubuntu from the CD not the one that installs in windows and can be uninstalled through Add/Remove. Thank you for any help.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Uninstalling Ubuntu from a Laptop

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:48 am

Was it installed using a Linux file system or a Windows file system?

I'm guessing the Windows file system. Without knowing a few more details, I can't really give accurate instructions. To start, everything in the /home directory needs to be saved as that's the only place users can save their files. If you used a Windows file system, you could just delete everything off the drive. I'm unsure on how one goes about restoring the MBR so that it just sends the computer straight to Windows.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:13 am

Should be pretty simple. While everything is still intact, fix your MBR by booting into recovery console and running fixmbr (or do it any other way -- mbrfix, Super Grub Disk, etc.).

Then, assuming you have regular Linux partitions, boot from a GParted LiveCD. Delete your Linux partitions and resize your Windows partition to occupy the reclaimed space.

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:27 am

Hello,

Thank you for the help. I believe it's Linux file system because you can't 'see' it with Windows Vista. Plus it took over the whole D: drive except for folders in the drive. ie there was about 10gb worth of data on the D: drive before installing Ubuntu, it's a 160gb partition, with 10gb used, the remaining 150gb is used by Ubuntu. When you boot up the laptop you have like 3 choices of Ubuntu to select from and 2 Windows choices. Not sure why.

Thank you again for the help.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:31 pm

No problem. Like bitvector said, get yourself a copy of the SystemRescueCd and use GParted to take care of the "D:" drive. Then pop in your Windows disc and enter the "Recovery" mode and run fixmbr. That should take care of everything for you.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.