Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

What's a good website for hypochondriacs?

Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:23 am

So I get out of the doctor's office yesterday with some funny words to look up. Can anyone recommend a web site that will deliver some non-bogus information about my condition? I'd try Wikipedia, but I'm concerned that some punk kid will edit the page and make everything read like it's terminal in under two weeks.

Or if anyone knows the ins & outs of a "low grade B cell lymphoma", I would be much obliged.

PS - Yesterday sucked. :cry:
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Re: What's a good website for hypochondriacs?

Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:54 am

:o

http://www.lymphomainfo.net/lymphoma.html
http://www.lymphomation.org/
http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/defau ... =13300#low

Some links there. Geez Darkmage, this is scary news. Sorry to hear about the diagnosis.
You will be in my thoughts. Looks like there are 3 different treatment options.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:09 am

Dude, that really sucks. :(

I hope you can treat it and live with it.

Cancer of any form really sucks. I grew up with my mother who was battling it for a long time, until she died a few years ago.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:18 am

I'd hardly say worrying about lymphoma makes you a hypochondriac. I had a small tumor removed from my stomach lining when I was younger, it was benign so there was little risk...but when you hear that sort of thing...tumour....yeesh! I can imagine hearing the word Lymphoma.

Sorry man.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:58 pm

:(

Google reveals a lot of sites you can probably trust from different foundations and the government, though.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

MethylONE
Gerbil XP

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:01 pm

Man, thought that said 'hydroponics' and was going to give you some links.

You may want to know about the hydroponics anyway.
License to kill gophers.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:21 pm

Heh. Hydroponics is way too much like gardening. And I hate gardening.

I have my first oncologist appointment tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes. It's entirely possible my time here on TR is limited, which should please the R&P posters to no end. :) On the other hand, what information I have managed to glean so far is encouraging.

And if I get the sudden urge to start a blog to document my heroic battle with cancer, you have my permission to find me and take away my internet access. Snark is good, pity whoring is not.

And on the positive side, the tech geek in me is looking forward to the chance to look at all the cool medical equipment.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:24 pm

Darkmage wrote:
And on the positive side, the tech geek in me is looking forward to the chance to look at all the cool medical equipment.

Heh, that reminds me of my younger days. The doc was pissed when I disassembled some piece of cool medical equipment while waiting for him.

zer0
Gerbil

Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:21 pm

Darkmage wrote:

This is precisely why I love this site. Where else would you read something like "hey, I have lymphoma, but at least I get to play with more cool toys..."

In all seriousness though, I wish you the best of luck.

PS - Don't forget to post pictures if you happen to witness the unboxing of any of that cool medical equipment...

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:33 pm

Dude, you'll beat this. You might not, but I have all the faith in the world of it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:54 pm

The limited googling I did seems to indicate if caught early enough you've got very good odds.

Good luck and best wishes.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:56 pm

mattsteg wrote:
Heh, that reminds me of my younger days. The doc was pissed when I disassembled some piece of cool medical equipment while waiting for him.
See, I would be concerned that I might not be able to put it back together again and the doc might need that to work on me.

I did, however, flip just about every little switch I could get my hands on.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:11 pm

Here's to a good prognosis for your future. I'll keep you in my prayers.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:18 pm

Hoser wrote:
Here's to a good prognosis for your future. I'll keep you in my prayers.

X4
Good luck fella...if you havent yet..take up golf...good mental game to take your mind off sex :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:46 pm

Sorry to hear about this. But it sounds like you've got a really positive attitude, and that it was caught early enough that you've got very good odds at a full recovery.

Good luck.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

zer0
Gerbil

Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:36 am

LicketySplit wrote:
Good luck fella...if you havent yet..take up golf...good mental game to take your mind off sex :lol:

Because, you know, playing with your club to put balls in a hole isn't suggestive at all...

"He's not too long off the tee, but he play's a good up and down game..."
I think the vast majority of people who tell you they have a virus actually mean 'I keep my pictures in the system32 folder and occasionally delete things at random'.

"it boots up so fast the desktop icons fly right off the screen..."

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:10 am

zer0 wrote:
Because, you know, playing with your club to put balls in a hole isn't suggestive at all...
Gah, I've gone from "sink the pink" to "sink the green". Oh, how the mighty have pollen or some such... I hate golf. Waste of a perfectly good rifle range if you ask me.

Anyhow, the first oncologist appointment was today. I didn't get much that I didn't already know from the optico-plastic-chick (I really can't remember what her specialty is called. She's the one who dug out the piece they sent to pathology). The final typing was in from pathology and the results were somewhat encouraging. So here's what I learned:

1. The particular type of cancer indicated by pathology is very treatable and not very virulent.
  2. It does, however, crop up in places other than the eye (where mine is). So next week we play find-the-cancer all over my systems
  3. I start my tests Monday morning with my very first MRI.
  4. Strike that, my first test was actually today. They wouldn't let me out of the office without extracting some blood.
  5. Later in the week is a lumbar extraction of some sort (they mentioned the words "lumbar", "region", "extraction", "needle" and "designated driver". :o )
  6. Later that same day they take some spinal fluid (again with mentioning "needle" a lot)
  7. The day after that is a PET scan. I've heard... interesting stories about this one. I'll see what happens at work after this test. I have a theory...
  8. If you really want to get a lot of tests scheduled in a very short amount of time for a fairly non-emergency lymphoma, tell the receptionist that you're deploying to Iraq in three weeks. They'll have stuff lined up for you in no time.

That last tidbit was going to be a surprise to the TR forum gerbils. Thanks to this little medical situation, that may not happen. :-?
Last edited by Darkmage on Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:29 am

:o Lumbar....all i can say is try to get in the state of mind where you won't remember anything before you go in that day. Also, good luck in Iraq if you go. What is it you'd be doing there?
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:54 am

Darkmage wrote:
[*]If you really want to get a lot of tests scheduled in a very short amount of time for a fairly non-emergency lymphoma, tell the receptionist that you're deploying to Iraq in three weeks. They'll have stuff lined up for you in no time.[/list]

That last tidbit was going to be a surprise to the TR forum gerbils. Thanks to this little medical situation, that may not happen. :-?

Oof. Good luck with that one.
...I thought your job was all "soft" stuff? (I don't even know if that terminology is appropriate here, but you know what I mean.)
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:45 am

Darkmage wrote:
If you really want to get a lot of tests scheduled in a very short amount of time for a fairly non-emergency lymphoma, tell the receptionist that you're deploying to Iraq in three weeks. They'll have stuff lined up for you in no time.

What branch of the military? Active or reserves, or guard? How long are they sending you for? (Former USAF myself)
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

MethylONE
Gerbil XP

Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:43 am

The lumbar test is a little tough if you are very muscled.

I've had that test while super fit and super fat - when fat it goes easier. Doubt you have time to soften up 'pre test' tho.
License to kill gophers.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:53 am

I'd place the going to Iraq odds at a million to one. I doubt they're hard up enough for soldiers to send a cancer patient over there.

My dad is being treated for lung cancer at the moment - his outloook is a lot better than most lung cancer patients, they operated and think they got it all, but he is tired of being a human pincushion. It seems that you won't be leaving your house without getting stuck with a needle

LOL, find the cancer.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:02 am

MethylONE wrote:
The lumbar test is a little tough if you are very muscled.
Well then, I'm sure I'll do fine!

I sounds like you have experience in this area. Care to share? I'm looking for as much information as I can get.

And to those of you who asked:
  1. I'm not a soldier. I'm a computer programmer
  2. Even with modern technology, telecommuting and global networks... some stuff still has to be done on-site as it were. Isolated networks, rapid system development, tiger teams and all that.
  3. The work itself would be on-site computer programming for a Sharepoint based document storage & collaboration site.
  4. I would be a civilian working for Multi-National Forces - Iraq... which is somehow different than the Multi-National Coalition in Iraq, but nobody can exactly tell me how they are different.
  5. Yeah, the odds of my field trip are not looking good all of a sudden. Which is a real pain. I was kind of looking forward to it.
Last edited by Darkmage on Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin
Administrator

Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:24 pm

Good to hear that they think it's treatable. Hopefully they'll find it all. And if your deployment gets delayed or canceled, perhaps we can meet up again when I'm out there in August for a friend's wedding. Beer will be on me.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:16 pm

Glad to hear it's probably treatable. Take care of yourself, that crap is not fun.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

edh
Gerbil XP

Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:15 pm

You have my best wishes. Hope all goes well and you beat the rap.

An anecdote: My father, nearly three months into a six-month regimen of chemo and radiation begun in early August five years ago, asked the attendant technician if he could get a double dose that week. The woman told him, "No, the dosage has to be carefully controlled over a long period of time and the a double dose would cause great harm."

"Damn!" he responded with a straight face, "Tomorrow's Halloween and I wanted to glow in the dark."

She broke up, laughing.
pc-v600b, ss-860xp, max V gene, 3770k, 4x8gb ddr3 2400, i520 240gb ssd (os/apps), i520 480gb ssd (workspace), 2x3tb wd30efrx (raid-1) & i525 60gb ssd (cache), 2x GV-R795WF3-3GD, 2x u3014, leopold/cherry brown kb, g400, intuos5 pth650, win.7.x64.ult

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:47 pm

Well today was the MRI. I'd love to tell you it was cool, with all kinds of nifty medical equipment... but MRIs are really boring.

If you've ever looked under the hood of a '67 and a '04 Corvette, you'll understand the difference. Under the hood of a '67, it's a mass of cool stuff! Hoses, wires, fans, belts, bolts, filters, chrome, rubber and wire. Under the hood of an '04, it's basically a bunch of flat plastic that you are not supposed to remove. It's freakin' boring.

That's pretty much an MRI. It's freakin' boring. It's a featureless plastic donut with a motorized shelf in front of it. They give you some ear plugs (because it's loud), they give you a blanket (because it's cold), you lie down, they stick this collar thing over your head and roll you into the machine. It makes a lot of clanging and clunking noises and they then roll you out. No drama at all, unless you're claustrophobic. There's even a little mirror in front of your eyes so you can look in the technician's window. Which isn't very exciting.

I did have to get an injection with "a heavy metal in a saline solution" to help the resolution on the last two tests. I was kind of hoping to avoid needles today, but oh well. On the plus side, I didn't have to wear the embarrassing medical gown.

One down, three to go.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:21 pm

But did you get to see the cool pics of your innards?
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:00 pm

No, I didn't. They hustled me out of there like I had a disease or something. :)

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:35 pm

First of all, you will beat this all the while remaining your entertaining self. That's an order. So get on it.

Second:
Darkmage wrote:
[*]I would be a civilian working for Multi-National Forces - Iraq... which is somehow different than the Multi-National Coalition in Iraq, but nobody can exactly tell me how they are different.
In a nutshell, MNF-I is the higher HQ for MNC-I (actually Multi-National Corps-Iraq, which controls all the Multinational Divisions). MNF-I has other subordinate commands as well IIRC.