Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

torax
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Linux for a CVS server

Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:07 am

I'd like to set up a CVS server on a Linux based machine. Part of me wants to just throw it on a windows based machine for ease, but I think I'm ready to try my hand at the world of Linux.

As most who are trying to delve into the Linux world, I am a bit overwhelmed by all of the choices. Could someone suggest a distro that would be best for setting up a CVS server, or point me to some good resources/guides for doing such a thing? Any other comments and tips are welcome!

mongoosesRawesome
Gerbil XP

Re: Linux for a CVS server

Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:43 am

Debian is nice as it both forces you to use the command line and actually learn your way around linux but also has the benefits of a good package management system. Plus, you won't have tons of crap installed that you'll never use.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:33 am

If you're not concerned about getting a little bloat along with the stuff you really need, Ubuntu is also a good choice. It's Debian-based, but does more hand-holding to ease the transition from Windows.

Also, is there a hard requirement for CVS? Subversion is a much better revision control system IMO.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ChaosX2
Gerbil

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:37 am

just brew it! wrote:
If you're not concerned about getting a little bloat along with the stuff you really need, Ubuntu is also a good choice. It's Debian-based, but does more hand-holding to ease the transition from Windows.

Also, is there a hard requirement for CVS? Subversion is a much better revision control system IMO.

I agree, Subversion was designed as a replacement for CVS and deals with many of it's short cummings.