Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

petcherd
Gerbil
Topic Author

Recommended client strategy

Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:38 pm

I have a dualie Paxville (Intel Xeon 7030) with 2 GB of RAM and a card that WinXP's device manger and nVidia's website identify as a NVIDIA Quadro PCI-E Series running driver version 65.73

It's a bit of over-kill for Email, but I'm just going to fold some proteins instead of complaining about waste. I was thinking about running notfred's USB folding client at night to devote the machine entirely to folding proteins, but what about the daytime? Would I generate more ppd with a GPU client? a SMP client or two? several classic single-core clients? I've been using old crappy machines for so long that it seems strange to have a machine that's worth installing a folding client upon.

JPinTO
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Recommended client strategy

Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:35 pm

Check to see if the GPU client supports your card. Linux SMP client is probably your max PPD.

petcherd
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:22 am

Sadly, the legitimate justification for this machine on a desk is MS Outlook (3rd party plugins mean no Evolution or other Linux client). I must run Windoze on it. Is the Windows SMP client stable? I've already got the dotNet 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x frameworks installed.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:47 am

For PPD output, it is recommended not to use the SMP client on anything less than quad-core. You will get more PPD running two instances of Folding@Home.

So far my GPU PPD output is more than 5x the quad core ;-) So, if your GPU is supported, use that (or all of them!) So far, running engineering apps and the SMP client and a GPU client, my machine is stable.

-LS

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:26 am

liquidsquid wrote:
For PPD output, it is recommended not to use the SMP client on anything less than quad-core. You will get more PPD running two instances of Folding@Home.
Actually no. Multiple instances of the single core client still pale in ppd compared to the SMP client, provided that you can finish the WUs on time.

liquidsquid wrote:
So far my GPU PPD output is more than 5x the quad core ;-) So, if your GPU is supported, use that (or all of them!) So far, running engineering apps and the SMP client and a GPU client, my machine is stable.

The Paxville is P4 based, so SMP clients will be getting close in finish. Using the GPU may be good but it may use up more power. Testing is required to find the sweetspot.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

JPinTO
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:33 am

[quote="petcherd"]Sadly, the legitimate justification for this machine on a desk is MS Outlook (3rd party plugins mean no Evolution or other Linux client). I must run Windoze on it. Is the Windows SMP client stable? I've already got the dotNet 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x frameworks installed.[/quote]

I run Windows also on each machine, but the strategy that works very well is to run VMWare and run a Linux client on VMWare. The VMware "virtual machine" only exposes 2 cores to the Linux guest, making it very efficient with a SMP folding client. Even though I only have quad's, I run 2 Linux guests on each Windows Quad processor.

Here is some PPD metrics running 1 Linux SMP FAH client on Vmware Windows XP:

2.33 Xeon: 1300PPD
2.66 Xeon: 1500PPD-1600PPD
2.95 Q6600: 1700-2200PPD
3.25 Q9450: 2400PPD

NOTE: I of course get double these PPD's as I run 2 Linux SMP clients on each quad.

Here is the very useful VMware/Linux Fah install thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=47827

petcherd
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:42 pm

OK, I'm now running VMWare server and three VMs with notfred's folding appliance set to two CPUs per VM. It runs a pair of single-instance clients per VM. Would there be any advantage to running as SMP with "only" two virtual CPUs, or am I doing it the best way my little machine can handle?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:19 pm

petcherd wrote:
OK, I'm now running VMWare server and three VMs with notfred's folding appliance set to two CPUs per VM. It runs a pair of single-instance clients per VM. Would there be any advantage to running as SMP with "only" two virtual CPUs, or am I doing it the best way my little machine can handle?

I'm confused. Are you running multiple single core clients in the VM's? You should run one instance of the SMP client in the VMs since you have assigned 2 "virtual" CPUs per VM.

Your Paxville box is 2 CPUs with 2 physical cores each? So that's a total of 4 cores? If that's the case then you should run 2 VMs with 2 virtual CPUs each, then run one SMP client on each VM, then all 4 cores would be used.

petcherd
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:30 pm

My box has 2 chips with 2 cores each and HyperThreading enabled, so it appears as 8 cores to 32-bit WinXP (the host OS). It has 2 GB of RAM

I've installed VMWare Server on three VMs with 512MB of RAM and two virtual CPUs each. Each of those three VMs has chosen to run two single-instance clients instead of one SMP client.

It seems to be churning through the WU's, but I'm wondering if I should have done something else better.

-dP

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:32 pm

With HT enabled..... I believe its still recommended to not utilize these as cpu's, but I honestly don't know. I'll research some.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:39 pm

Not sure if VMWare supports running 64bit guests in 32bit hosts, that may be what is stopping you from running the SMP under my stuff. My stuff is Linux based and the Linux SMP is only available for 64bit OS. Take a look at what it reports on the webpage/screen for CPU type and see if it detects the 64bit or just 32bit. To run SMP, my stuff needs to detect 64bit and detect more than 1 CPU core, otherwise it will run multiple single clients.

petcherd
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:33 pm

You are correct. I cannot run a 64-bit guest on a 32-bit host.

I'm seriously considering the option of building a 32-bit XP Pro guest machine to take-over the administrative duties that my host machine is handling, then moving this machine out to a separate data partition and rebuilding my host box as CentOS or Ubuntu so that I can go and run my administrative box as a VMWare guest. The ONLY thing that stops me is the lack of USB support in VMWare Server to connect my Palm T|X to the XP guest machine.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:24 pm

notfred wrote:
Not sure if VMWare supports running 64bit guests in 32bit hosts, that may be what is stopping you from running the SMP under my stuff. My stuff is Linux based and the Linux SMP is only available for 64bit OS. Take a look at what it reports on the webpage/screen for CPU type and see if it detects the 64bit or just 32bit. To run SMP, my stuff needs to detect 64bit and detect more than 1 CPU core, otherwise it will run multiple single clients.

Right, totally forgot about that. :oops:

JPinTO
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:44 pm

Don't use the Hyperthreading. Run the 2 VMWare guests, 2 cores assigned to each guest. Manually set the Affinity on each VMWare process to the cores:

ie: Vmware-1: Core 1+2
VMware-2: Core 3+4

When you want a monster Point boost, buy a 8800GT and run the GPU2 client in Windows, while running 2 VMware SMP clients.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:13 pm

JPinTO wrote:
Don't use the Hyperthreading. Run the 2 VMWare guests, 2 cores assigned to each guest. Manually set the Affinity on each VMWare process to the cores:

When you want a monster Point boost, buy a 8800GT and run the GPU2 client in Windows, while running 2 VMware SMP clients.

Can you do this with a quad core? Run two SMP clients in two VMware linux environments AND run GPU2 client? I'd be a folding MONSTER :D
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:17 pm

JPinTO wrote:

Assuming the host OS is 32-bit, then you can only run WinSMP also (make sure you have enough licences) in the VMs.

david00214 wrote:
Can you do this with a quad core? Run two SMP clients in two VMware linux environments AND run GPU2 client? I'd be a folding MONSTER :D
You probably should test it out to see how big a points loss is with a core constantly dedicated to the GPU client. Assuming you can meet the deadlines, and your GPU is high-powered enough (low end stuff like 8400GS/HD3450 need not apply here), the GPU ppd gain should be a bit more than the points loss from a slower SMP client. Try it and report back please.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:12 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
JPinTO wrote:

Assuming the host OS is 32-bit, then you can only run WinSMP also (make sure you have enough licences) in the VMs.

david00214 wrote:
You probably should test it out to see how big a points loss is with a core constantly dedicated to the GPU client. Assuming you can meet the deadlines, and your GPU is high-powered enough (low end stuff like 8400GS/HD3450 need not apply here), the GPU ppd gain should be a bit more than the points loss from a slower SMP client. Try it and report back please.

My system is running two SMP clients in linux via VMware. Q9450 at 3.4GHZ, and may OC higher, still testing. :D
With both clients running I'm averaging about 1 step every 5.5 minutes, or approx 4,500 ppd.

Videocard is 8800GTS(G92) clocked at 745MHZ. I know nothing about the GPU2 client so no idea what kind of ppd I could expect. From what Jpinto said though, I was getting the impression he was running two smp clients AND the GPU2 client :o :o :o
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:16 pm

Shoot, I'm running 64 bit Vista, which is not compatible.

JPinTO
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:31 pm

[quote="david00214"]Can you do this with a quad core? Run two SMP clients in two VMware linux environments AND run GPU2 client? I'd be a folding MONSTER :D[/quote]

Absolutely. I've got 2 boxes running this way: WinXP 32 Bit Host running 2x VMware Ubuntu 64 bit guests + GPU2 Client.

Example PPD from Q9450 OC 3.3Ghz and 8800GTS 512 700Mhz:
Q9450 Cores 1+2 running Ubuntu SMP: 2400PPD (45% CPU)
Q9450 Cores 1+2+3 running Ubuntu SMP #2: 1800PPD (30% CPU)
8800GTS Core 3: 5000PPD (24% CPU)

Total PPD from this 1 machine: ~9000PPD :o :o

GPU2 needs it's own core, so don't put an SMP client on it. I've got the SMP client on cores 1+2+3 running at below normal priority so that the it gets the leftover cycles from cores 1+2.
Last edited by JPinTO on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JPinTO
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:37 pm

[quote="david00214"]Videocard is 8800GTS(G92) clocked at 745MHZ. I know nothing about the GPU2 client so no idea what kind of ppd I could expect. From what Jpinto said though, I was getting the impression he was running two smp clients AND the GPU2 client :o :o :o[/quote]

Assuming you are running a windows host, get ready to be BLOWN away. You've done the hard work getting the dual VMware Linux SMP clients going.

Download the 177.35 Nvidia driver: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 28c9072a98

Download the GPU2 client and you'll get a "free" 5000PPD.

You will drop a little SMP PPD from the 1 core dedicated to the GPU2 client, but you will still be 9000PPD.

EDIT: Just read your post about 64bit Vista. It's time to upgrade by downgrading! :D

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:07 pm

I thought for x64 you just need an INF file change?

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:36 pm

There appears to be some confusion in this thread because of word choice.

Pardon me for being pedantic, but just to make sure no one gets the wrong impression...

A 32 bit host OS works perfectly well with a 64 bit guest OS through VMware, as long as the CPU is 64 bit capable and has virtualization features. All AMD CPU's appear to be capable since the first dual cores were released, but the Intels are different. You have to verify if the processor has Virtualization Technology, from what I understand. Being able to run a 64 bit guest on a 32 bit host was the entire purpose of the stickied 'The easy Linux SMP Install guide (including for Windows XP!)' thread that Tarx originated and it is the reason TR's Team 2630 became competitive and among the top 7 teams for the first time, even though we have the fewest active members of any of the top ranked teams. The SMP information spread around to other teams, though, and we're heading for #11 if we don't turn things around soon.

I use Windows XP Pro, a 32 host OS, with an Opteron 64 bit processor, and with VMWare Server installed on it, running Ubuntu 64 on a VM as a guest OS. That works well. On multi-core machines I dedicate to folding I either use notfred's Linux folding ISO (there are now more than a couple of threads mentioning it, and I can't keep track any longer) or if it's a secondary machine used for testing purposes or just to have another machine available in that room, it gets another Windows install and the single core client, since I don't have any dual-core PC's to spare yet.

With respect to the GPU2 client, according to the 'NVIDIA 6.12 beta 6.12 GPU client Released!' thread, Forge was running the GPU2 client on XP-64, with no problems. He also says that Vista-64 works for him with an ATi 4850 using the beta 8 client. Here's a thread on FoldingForum.org about running the SMP client and the GPU2 client on the same machine. I haven't gone all the way through it but I imagine it has all the useful advice one might need. Check around that sub-forum and I'm sure something useful will be available.

Pegasus has the SMP and GPU clients working on a 9450 quad, with the first 2 cores assigned to the first SMP installation, and the 2nd and 3rd cores to the 2nd SMP installation (thus sharing one core between the 2 SMP clients), leaving the 4th core free to run the GPU2 client. I don't know what his production is like, nor how to assign cores in Linux, and until he reports back with what his total setup is (including how many clients he runs), we won't be able to tell whether his idea is worth doing. Stanford reports 6 clients, and it appears his production has dropped precipitously recently, but until he reports what his situation is, it's hard to tell what is going on.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:54 pm

Very nice summary with links there Dan. :D

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Pegasus has the SMP and GPU clients working on a 9450 quad, with the first 2 cores assigned to the first SMP installation, and the 2nd and 3rd cores to the 2nd SMP installation (thus sharing one core between the 2 SMP clients), leaving the 4th core free to run the GPU2 client. I don't know what his production is like, nor how to assign cores in Linux, and until he reports back with what his total setup is (including how many clients he runs), we won't be able to tell whether his idea is worth doing. Stanford reports 6 clients, and it appears his production has dropped precipitously recently, but until he reports what his situation is, it's hard to tell what is going on.

AFAICT he was not assigning cores in Linux, I think what he did was to set processor affinities for the individual vmware-vmx.exe processes under his Windows host and the GPU2 client's FahCore*.exe process.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:03 am

Thanks. I tired out at the end, with 6 pages of a foldingforum thread to read.

I don't know whether your guess is right, but if it is it's something I can't verify since I set up all my Folding clients to run as a service, including the VM, which means I can't set affinity for them.

But thinking about it, it does make sense that he's doing as you think, since one has to choose the cores each virtual machine gets outside of VMWare, otherwise whichever cores each one gets will be the only 2 that can be re-assigned inside of Linux, and then it's too late since 2 is the minimum for an SMP client anyway, and those are the 2 it will be no matter what.

Time for bed.

Pegasus
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:15 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Very nice summary with links there Dan. :D

Ragnar Dan wrote:

AFAICT he was not assigning cores in Linux, I think what he did was to set processor affinities for the individual vmware-vmx.exe processes under his Windows host and the GPU2 client's FahCore*.exe process.

Yeah, I added a line to the vmx file so VMware Server would not use the core that the GPU client was on. Otherwise it seemed to take over. But that's on XP and my GPU client takes up a full core.
From memory I think the command was: processor3.use = "FALSE"

Normal numbers on my SMP clients under VMware are ~1600 PPD each. Overlapping them on 3 cores seemed to bring them down to 1350 PPD. But I had a boost of 5000PPD from my 8800GTS (G92) on the same machine. The SMP PPD estimates I got were from FahMon reading the shared folder.
It's a stock Q9300 btw
i3-530 | HR-01 Plus (passive) | DH55TC | 4GB Kingston DDR3 | Toshiba 250GB 2.5" HDD | Mini P180 | picoPSU 150-xt w/102w brick | 21w idle

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:53 am

Thanks for the info guys. I just got the GPU2 client running with my two SMP clients :D

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28594&p=852484#p852484

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:17 am

The GPU2 client started waiting for new work about 8 hours ago, and is still waiting.

Is this a WU supply issue, or do you think there is something I can do to get another WU running?

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:20 am

Here's the log. I "repaired" F@H by running setup again, but still no upload/download of WUs. Think maybe the problem is on the server end.

--- Opening Log file [July 5 13:40:08]

# Windows Console GPU Edition #################################################
###############################################################################

Folding@Home Client Version 6.12beta8

http://folding.stanford.edu

Launch directory: C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu

[13:40:08] - Ask before connecting: No
[13:40:08] - User name: Darwin00214 (Team 2630)
[13:40:08] - User ID: 21DB067D3BB668FB
[13:40:08] - Machine ID: 2
[13:40:08]
[13:40:08] Loaded queue successfully.
[13:40:08] Deleting incompletely fetched item (4) from queue position #9
[13:40:08] Initialization complete
[13:40:08] + Benchmarking ...
[13:40:08] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[13:40:08] + Attempting to get work packet
[13:40:08] - Read packet limit of 540015616... Set to 524286976.

[13:40:08] + Attempting to send results
[13:40:08] - Connecting to assignment server
[13:40:09] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[13:40:09] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[13:40:09] - Attempt #1  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[13:40:09] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[13:40:09] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[13:40:09]     (171.64.65.20:8080)
[13:40:09] - Error: Could not transmit unit 08 (completed July 5) to work server.
[13:40:09] - Read packet limit of 540015616... Set to 524286976.

[13:40:09] + Attempting to send results
[13:40:18] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[13:40:18]     (171.64.122.76:8080)
[13:40:18]   Could not transmit unit 08 to Collection server; keeping in queue.
[13:40:19] + Attempting to get work packet
[13:40:19] - Connecting to assignment server
[13:40:19] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[13:40:19] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[13:40:19] - Attempt #2  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[13:40:39] + Attempting to get work packet
[13:40:39] - Connecting to assignment server
[13:40:39] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[13:40:39] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[13:40:39] - Attempt #3  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.

Folding@Home Client Shutdown.

--- Opening Log file [July 5 13:45:37]

[13:45:37] - Ask before connecting: No
[13:45:37] - User name: Darwin00214 (Team 2630)
[13:45:37] - User ID: 21DB067D3BB668FB
[13:45:37] - Machine ID: 2
[13:45:37]
[13:45:37] Loaded queue successfully.
[13:45:37] Deleting incompletely fetched item (4) from queue position #9
[13:45:37] Initialization complete
[13:45:37] + Benchmarking ...
[13:45:37] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[13:45:37] + Attempting to get work packet[13:45:37] - Read packet limit of 540015616... Set to 524286976.

[13:45:37] - Connecting to assignment server

[13:45:37] + Attempting to send results
[13:45:38] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[13:45:38] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[13:45:38] - Attempt #1  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[13:45:39] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[13:45:39] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[13:45:39]     (171.64.65.20:8080)
[13:45:39] - Error: Could not transmit unit 08 (completed July 5) to work server.
[13:45:39] - Read packet limit of 540015616... Set to 524286976.

[13:45:39] + Attempting to send results
[13:45:46] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[13:45:46]     (171.64.122.76:8080)
[13:45:46]   Could not transmit unit 08 to Collection server; keeping in queue.
[13:45:50] + Attempting to get work packet
[13:45:50] - Connecting to assignment server
[13:45:51] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[13:45:51] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[13:45:51] - Attempt #2  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[13:46:01] + Attempting to get work packet
[13:46:01] - Connecting to assignment server
[13:46:02] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[13:46:02] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[13:46:02] - Attempt #3  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[13:46:24] + Attempting to get work packet
[13:46:24] - Connecting to assignment server
[13:46:24] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[13:46:24] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[13:46:24] - Attempt #4  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[13:47:08] + Attempting to get work packet
[13:47:08] - Connecting to assignment server
[13:47:08] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[13:47:08] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[13:47:08] - Attempt #5  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.

--- Opening Log file [July 5 13:49:35]

[13:49:35] - Ask before connecting: No
[13:49:35] - User name: Darwin00214 (Team 2630)
[13:49:35] - User ID: 21DB067D3BB668FB
[13:49:35] - Machine ID: 2
[13:49:35]
[13:49:36] Loaded queue successfully.
[13:49:36] Deleting incompletely fetched item (4) from queue position #9
[13:49:36] Initialization complete
[13:49:36] + Benchmarking ...
[13:49:36] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[13:49:36] + Attempting to get work packet
[13:49:36] - Read packet limit of 540015616... Set to 524286976.

[13:49:36] + Attempting to send results
[13:49:36] - Connecting to assignment server
[13:49:36] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[13:49:36] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[13:49:36] - Attempt #1  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[13:49:37] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[13:49:37] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[13:49:37]     (171.64.65.20:8080)
[13:49:37] - Error: Could not transmit unit 08 (completed July 5) to work server.
[13:49:37] - Read packet limit of 540015616... Set to 524286976.

[13:49:37] + Attempting to send results
[13:49:44] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[13:49:44]     (171.64.122.76:8080)
[13:49:44]   Could not transmit unit 08 to Collection server; keeping in queue.
[13:49:50] + Attempting to get work packet
[13:49:50] - Connecting to assignment server
[13:49:50] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[13:49:50] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[13:49:50] - Attempt #2  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[13:50:10] + Attempting to get work packet
[13:50:10] - Connecting to assignment server
[13:50:11] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[13:50:11] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[13:50:11] - Attempt #3  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[13:50:31] + Attempting to get work packet
[13:50:31] - Connecting to assignment server
[13:50:31] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[13:50:31] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[13:50:31] - Attempt #4  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.

--- Opening Log file [July 5 13:58:34]

[13:58:34] - Ask before connecting: No
[13:58:34] - User name: Darwin00214 (Team 2630)
[13:58:34] - User ID: 21DB067D3BB668FB
[13:58:34] - Machine ID: 2
[13:58:34]
[13:58:35] Loaded queue successfully.
[13:58:35] Deleting incompletely fetched item (4) from queue position #9
[13:58:35] Initialization complete
[13:58:35] + Benchmarking ...
[13:58:35] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[13:58:35] + Attempting to get work packet
[13:58:35] - Read packet limit of 540015616... Set to 524286976.

[13:58:35] + Attempting to send results
[13:58:35] - Connecting to assignment server
[13:58:35] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[13:58:35] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[13:58:35] - Attempt #1  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[13:58:36] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[13:58:36] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[13:58:36]     (171.64.65.20:8080)
[13:58:36] - Error: Could not transmit unit 08 (completed July 5) to work server.
[13:58:36] - Read packet limit of 540015616... Set to 524286976.

[13:58:36] + Attempting to send results
[13:58:37] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[13:58:37]   (Got status 503)
[13:58:37] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[13:58:37]     (171.64.122.76:8080)
[13:58:37]   Could not transmit unit 08 to Collection server; keeping in queue.
[13:58:47] + Attempting to get work packet
[13:58:47] - Connecting to assignment server
[13:58:48] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[13:58:48] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[13:58:48] - Attempt #2  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[13:58:59] + Attempting to get work packet
[13:58:59] - Connecting to assignment server
[13:59:00] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[13:59:00] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[13:59:00] - Attempt #3  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[13:59:27] + Attempting to get work packet
[13:59:27] - Connecting to assignment server
[13:59:27] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[13:59:27] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[13:59:27] - Attempt #4  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.

--- Opening Log file [July 5 14:03:50]

[14:03:50] - Ask before connecting: No
[14:03:50] - User name: Darwin00214 (Team 2630)
[14:03:50] - User ID: 21DB067D3BB668FB
[14:03:50] - Machine ID: 2
[14:03:50]
[14:03:50] Loaded queue successfully.
[14:03:50] Deleting incompletely fetched item (4) from queue position #9
[14:03:50] Initialization complete
[14:03:50] + Benchmarking ...
[14:03:50] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[14:03:50] - Read packet limit of 540015616... Set to 524286976.
[14:03:50] + Attempting to get work packet

[14:03:50] + Attempting to send results
[14:03:50] - Connecting to assignment server
[14:03:50] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[14:03:50] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[14:03:50] - Attempt #1  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[14:03:51] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[14:03:51] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[14:03:51]     (171.64.65.20:8080)
[14:03:51] - Error: Could not transmit unit 08 (completed July 5) to work server.
[14:03:51] - Read packet limit of 540015616... Set to 524286976.

[14:03:51] + Attempting to send results
[14:03:52] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[14:03:52] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[14:03:52]     (171.64.122.76:8080)
[14:03:52]   Could not transmit unit 08 to Collection server; keeping in queue.
[14:04:02] + Attempting to get work packet
[14:04:02] - Connecting to assignment server
[14:04:03] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[14:04:03] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[14:04:03] - Attempt #2  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[14:04:23] + Attempting to get work packet
[14:04:23] - Connecting to assignment server
[14:04:24] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[14:04:24] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[14:04:24] - Attempt #3  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[14:04:55] + Attempting to get work packet
[14:04:55] - Connecting to assignment server
[14:04:56] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[14:04:56] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[14:04:56] - Attempt #4  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[14:05:40] + Attempting to get work packet
[14:05:40] - Connecting to assignment server
[14:05:40] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[14:05:40] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[14:05:40] - Attempt #5  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[14:07:09] + Attempting to get work packet
[14:07:09] - Connecting to assignment server
[14:07:09] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[14:07:09] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[14:07:09] - Attempt #6  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[14:09:58] + Attempting to get work packet
[14:09:58] - Connecting to assignment server
[14:09:59] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[14:09:59] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[14:09:59] - Attempt #7  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[14:15:30] + Attempting to get work packet
[14:15:30] - Connecting to assignment server
[14:15:30] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[14:15:30] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[14:15:30] - Attempt #8  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[14:26:19] + Attempting to get work packet
[14:26:19] - Connecting to assignment server
[14:26:20] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[14:26:20] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[14:26:20] - Attempt #9  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[14:47:43] + Attempting to get work packet
[14:47:43] - Connecting to assignment server
[14:47:44] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[14:47:44] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[14:47:44] - Attempt #10  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.

Folding@Home Client Shutdown.

--- Opening Log file [July 5 15:08:06]

[15:08:06] - Ask before connecting: No
[15:08:06] - User name: Darwin00214 (Team 2630)
[15:08:06] - User ID: 21DB067D3BB668FB
[15:08:06] - Machine ID: 2
[15:08:06]
[15:08:06] Loaded queue successfully.
[15:08:06] Deleting incompletely fetched item (4) from queue position #9
[15:08:06] Initialization complete
[15:08:06] + Benchmarking ...
[15:08:06] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[15:08:06] + Attempting to get work packet
[15:08:06] - Read packet limit of 540015616... Set to 524286976.

[15:08:06] + Attempting to send results
[15:08:06] - Connecting to assignment server
[15:08:07] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[15:08:07] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[15:08:07] - Attempt #1  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[15:08:08] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[15:08:08] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[15:08:08]     (171.64.65.20:8080)
[15:08:08] - Error: Could not transmit unit 08 (completed July 5) to work server.
[15:08:08] - Read packet limit of 540015616... Set to 524286976.

[15:08:08] + Attempting to send results
[15:08:16] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[15:08:16]     (171.64.122.76:8080)
[15:08:16]   Could not transmit unit 08 to Collection server; keeping in queue.
[15:08:22] + Attempting to get work packet
[15:08:22] - Connecting to assignment server
[15:08:22] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[15:08:22] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[15:08:22] - Attempt #2  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[15:08:41] + Attempting to get work packet
[15:08:41] - Connecting to assignment server
[15:08:41] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[15:08:41] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[15:08:41] - Attempt #3  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[15:09:14] + Attempting to get work packet
[15:09:14] - Connecting to assignment server
[15:09:15] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[15:09:15] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[15:09:15] - Attempt #4  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[15:10:09] + Attempting to get work packet
[15:10:09] - Connecting to assignment server
[15:10:10] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[15:10:10] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[15:10:10] - Attempt #5  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[15:11:42] + Attempting to get work packet
[15:11:42] - Connecting to assignment server
[15:11:43] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[15:11:43] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[15:11:43] - Attempt #6  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[15:14:37] + Attempting to get work packet
[15:14:37] - Connecting to assignment server
[15:14:37] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[15:14:37] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[15:14:37] - Attempt #7  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.

Pegasus
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:28 am

It's probably the server.
"171.64.122.76 is in "accept" mode but there are no WUs available on that server
171.64.65.20 went into "reject" mode last night just before 11PM PDT (50,000+ WUs available on that server)."

server stats atm
i3-530 | HR-01 Plus (passive) | DH55TC | 4GB Kingston DDR3 | Toshiba 250GB 2.5" HDD | Mini P180 | picoPSU 150-xt w/102w brick | 21w idle

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:54 pm

Thanks for the info Pegasus. I'm still learning :)

My GPU2 client finally grabbed another WU. That thing was idle for about 12 hours...

I'm getting some good ppd from my 8800GTS 512. Looks like it can get at least the same ppd as my quad when WUs are available.

Oh, and it's sharing a core with one of the quads. I set affinity to cores 0,1,2 for one SMP client and cores 1,2,3 for the other. I then set affinity to core 3 for the GPU2 client. This was done in windows task manager.