Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Yamaki
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

notfred's folding USB stick--not working

Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:45 pm

I've installed notfred's folding USB stick to my kingston datatraveler 1gb drive which i bought specifically for diskless folding.

my mobo definitely supports booting from USB devices. i select USB-HDD as the boot device and it gives me a "missing operating system" error. i've tried numerous remedies to this, but they weren't really relevant to the folding stick, and had no effect.

is there any fix for this?

thanks.

-yama

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Re: notfred's folding USB stick--not working

Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:59 am

Check the partitioning on the USB stick. There should be one partition and it should be marked as bootable.

Yamaki
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:45 pm

notfred wrote:
Check the partitioning on the USB stick. There should be one partition and it should be marked as bootable.

There is one partition, but it's not marked bootable anywhere that I can see. I'm using the Disk Manager in Windows XP Pro.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:25 pm

Sorry, I'm a Linux guy and haven't touched Windows in over 3 years, not sure how to tell if the partition is bootable in Windows, maybe someone else here knows?

Yamaki
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:34 pm

I gave up on the USB stick idea and I'm now testing out booting over PXE using your guide (server is windows). I'm having one small problem with the client computer though.

It outputs:

wget: http://www.stanford.edu: Host name lookup failure
Failed to download the client from Stanford's website: [client URL]
Please double check your gateway and DNS information.
Gateway:
awk: /etc/resolv.conf: No such file or directory
DNS Servers:
_ [allows me to input text but none of it does anything, just scrolls to the next line when i hit enter, even if i put in my dns servers]

Any ideas?

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:10 pm

You don't have DHCP setup correctly, it isn't sending anything for the DNS servers. Go check your tftpd32 setup for DNS servers.

Yamaki
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:00 am

notfred wrote:
You don't have DHCP setup correctly, it isn't sending anything for the DNS servers. Go check your tftpd32 setup for DNS servers.

It's definitely set up correctly. I'm using router DHCP and your CD now and I'm still getting the same error. The Xubuntu live CD supports my ethernet. Maybe you just need to add more compatibility to your CD? I'm using an nForce 610i onboard LAN port.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:41 am

Yes it could be that the 610i on-board Ethernet is not supported, the diskless stuff runs Linux kernel 2.6.22.1 at the moment so it depends on what that supports. A simple Intel, 3Com or Realtek PCI NIC should work fine. Watch out for ones like D-link, Linksys etc, they are just rebrands of other manufacturers NICs and often change what the actual NIC is.

If you are doing network boot, I'd be surprised if your router DHCP is enough, routers typically don't support the required options for network boot - the next-server and filename ones that specify where to tftp the file from.

jaxstraww
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:16 am

Having an issue getting the fold past 4%? Everything boots fine and I beleive the PC is in good order. Here is the error.

FahCore_a1.exe [557] general protection rip:4e8a17 rsp: 407fe430 error: 0

Anyone know what can be causing this?????

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:47 am

That's normally a sign that the PC isn't quite stable, especially the memory. Try an overnight run of memtest and see if there is the slightest error at all.

jaxstraww
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:44 pm

Thanks for the reply. I posted in the USB thread but its the bootable ISO. I'll run the memory overnight. About a month ago no errors but not to say these things are failing.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:38 pm

It doesn't matter, all of my diskless folding stuff runs the same code regardless of whether it is CD, USB, PXE boot or a Virtual Machine.

SMP folding is the single most brutal stability test I have ever seen. I have a pair of RAM sticks that check out clean individually and will only fail on memtest at one location in test 7 only and only 1 run in 5, however SMP folding will crash at least every second WU. The system was perfectly stable with 2 uniprocessor folding clients.

jaxstraww
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:36 pm

Well not sure if it matters but I tried it again with a USB stick even though I'm not backing up. 6 hours in and 23% so far and no errors. I did run the AC so wondering if heat off the sticks could cause an issue. Running the Crucial Tracers that everyone has trouble with.

Great_Gig
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:45 pm

Firstly thanks notfred for your Diskless Folding suite, I have been using the CD version for SMP clients for some time now and its great.

Now, I am trying to just use a USB for booting and cannot get this to work? My motherboard supports it and I can successfully boot the machine with a USB stick using basic boot disk files to get me to a Windows command prompt - so it all works that way. I have downloaded the USB files, loaded them onto the USB but it won't boot and reports a disk error?

Not sure how to get round this problem - what do I need on the USB Drive to get it to boot?
On there at present are the below files

I cannot understand what the problem is, as the machine does boot from the USB, but the Diskless suite won't run.
Any ideas?

I have tried it with and without the syslinux file on the drive as I was not sure what to do with this from the instructions on the website.

Many thanks.

EDIT: Cancel the above, n00bness rules here......! I got it to run, I was missing the ldlinux.sys file :oops:

Running sweet now.
Team: 132987
notaussiefloyd.com F@h Team
Folding Rig: Q6600 'GO' @ 2.88GHz | Thermalright HR-01 |GA-G31M-S2L
2GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz | 1GB OCZ USB Drive | Notfred Diskless Linux 64bit SMP