Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

New to Linux - trying Ubuntu

Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:51 pm

Hi Linux lovers! :wink:

So I decided to try Ubuntu's latest, version 8.04, after trying the 'live CD'. So far it's impressive, and I think I might end up liking it a lot. However, I've come up against a few things, which I'm having problems resolving. BTW, don't be harsh on me if I miss-use some terms, or if I use the wrong term. But please do correct me... :)

There was one thing I was able to resolve though, after multiple searches. I had the annoying 'scroll-up' that did a 'back' in Firefox. I resolved this by adding a line in the xorg.conf file (IIRC), but not before looking into how to edit that file since I did not have the proper permission. Problem fixed, although it took me a good half hour.

I followed this guide to install Ubuntu on a second hard drive (and it went quite smoothly), so that I can dual-boot with XP (XP being installed first). It said that it could install on an NTFS partition, I thought this was great since I wanted to use my second drive, but already had lots of data on it that I needed Windows to access. Problem #1: Ubuntu reformatted the drive in xe3 (?). I had moved my data to my external drive first, so no data-loss worries there, but now I cannot move it back because obviously Windows cannot access that Linux partiton. So I thought, well since I want to try to use Ubuntu anyway, lets just move that data back under Linux, that way I will be able to access the data on both the NTFS drive, and the linux drive, when using Linux. Problem #2: when I open my external drive under Ubuntu, it says it cannot mount it, because it is tagged as being 'in use'. It suggests to go in Windows and do the proper 'eject' of the drive - tried that, does not work, XP says drive is in use and to try again later :roll: . So OK, it's really not many problems, but it annoys me because it goes against my initial plan, and from what I read, it does not seem very obvious to just remove Ubuntu from there.

What I would actually would like to have, in Ubuntu on an NTFS drive, that should resolve everything. Is there a way I can easily reformat the partition in NTFS and reinstall Ubuntu?

Oh and, how exactly do I 'login as Root'?? (remember, it's basically all new for me). While searching for the scroll wheel problem, I saw that many times, but never explained how to actually do that.

Thanks in advance.
"The mind is like a parachute: it doesn't work unless it's open"... Frank Zappa

nagashi
Gerbil

Re: New to Linux - trying Ubuntu

Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:40 pm

On ubuntu, there really isn't a way to 'login as root' like some other linux distributions. You can do one of two things: use sudo to execute a command as root, or use sudo to switch to root using your own password. For example, for the first one if you wanted to install a package (like, say, xfce4-terminal), you could do this:
sudo apt-get install xfce4-terminal

The terminal will ask for your password. Sudo is a command that lets you run the next command as root, using your own password.

You can actually use it to switch over to root so that ALL of our commands will be run as root. This isn't such a good idea generally, especially if you accidently leave a root terminal open and your roommates happen to notice or something xD

To do this, simply enter:
sudo su

And enter your password.

btw, There *is* a product that'll let you read ext3 formatted partitions from windows xp: http://www.fs-driver.org/

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:58 pm

Oh! that is awesome!! I'll install EXT2 IFS then. See how this works.

Thnks also for the 'Root' tip :D

Thanks again!

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:20 pm

OK, now I see why Linux is not for everyone... But I'm not discouraged yet... I guess it's like when I started experimenting with Windows at first, I had to look a lot of things up (or ask around, since this goes back to even before Internet became common, hehehe)

I downloaded the nVidia VGA driver for my 9600GT. I thought, cool! now all I have to do is double click on it, right? Oh boy, was I wrong :P

I first found that I had to execute this like in a 'command' window. I tried in the Terminal window first (after founding I had to do a sudo sh '\path\driver'... what is 'sh' exactly? will have to look it up I guess, heh), but then it said it could run because it detected an X Serv running. Found out it was talking about the desktop interface itself, or the 'desktop GUI'. So, found I had to CNTRL+ALT+F1 to enter the full screen version of the terminal (or actually, I think your actually switching out of the X Serv, and into the 'real' Linux environment), stop the desktop GUI, then run the driver installation. Ok cool! ... or not... It said it needed the 'libc' to be installed. Looked it up, found a command that actually downloaded and installed the thing. Wow, that was pretty cool! I only wished I understood what was actually going on :lol: . Tried all this again; it needed another thing to be installed; searched and found another command to install. Will it do it now? Yes, at last! The nVidia driver installation processed also changed some config files by itself. It did though give me some error about a 'GL' file (don't remember the complete file name, I guess it's related to OpenGL), but it said that it assumed a successful install.

Once that was done, I had to restart the GUI (good thing I noted that down initially), and all seemed OK. I know the VGA driver installed correctly, because I could now enable the 'extra' visual effects of the desktop, which I could not before. Makes me wonder now, are there other drivers I could install to have things run better? Like a Creative sound card driver?

And speaking of running better, it is widely known that Linux has better ressource management, so it is expected that performance should be better than Windows on the same computer. Well, my experience so far, which is mainly Firefox 3, is that it's more sluggish. Is that normal? Maybe it's Ubuntu that's like that, maybe because it needs to run more things in the background to make the experience more user friendly?

At this point, I realise that it would be nice to have some sort of beginner's guide on Linux, and its main, commonly used commands. Also, a performance tweak guide, because I would like to know if it's running at its best performance.

The experience continues...

enigma59
Gerbil

Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:40 pm

If you run the package manager for Ubuntu (Synaptic?) and search for nvidia it already has the drivers there and is 100% easier to install. Or for that matter go to Restricted Drivers (or something like that) and it will give you an option to install the binary drivers from nvidia (the drivers from the package manager are usually old but they are easier to deal with).

As for poor performance with Firefox 3, is it when scrolling? With desktop effects enabled (compiz) scrolling seems to take a performance hit. Also nvidia drivers are not that great in comparison to windows drivers so the performance is not there.

For a tweaking guide there really is not anything to tweak besides startup services and disk performance. If you are really after performance and have some time on your hands you could try out Gentoo once you get more familiar with Ubuntu.

Edit: Also Firefox performance may be below par if there is flash being used (flash 9 for Linux sucks for performance, I heard flash 10 was better but it is still in beta)

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:30 pm

You may want to read some of the threads I have started in regards to that. I was given two things to disable and it made Firefox's performance much better.

I now have VirtualBox installed and have WinXP installed inside of it purring away. If you have the memory to spare it is worth a try.

Also, Synaptic is your friend . . .and the add new programs under applications. I have found these to be essential tools for installing and un-installing packages. You will also want to have all of the distros available you - like medibuntu - that will add MORE packages to the list. There is so much to go through.

I am liking Linux alot. I haven't got around to understanding the networking side of things yet - using sambia - but I'll get there . . . .they just need to fix the HDMI sound now????????
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:14 am

Firefox performance: I'm not sure if there was flash involved. I'll try to notice later when I get back home.

Package Manager: I don't remember seeing the Synaptic app. Should it be there by default in the latest Ubuntu?

Add program, under Applications: that's the first thing I tried. I wend into the add/remove program window, and searched for 'nVidia'. There was nothing found even if I chose to look in 'all application'.

Good idea on reading other threads lex-ington. Surely I'll find something helpful in there :wink:

This morning's problem: when I booted up this morning before leaving for work, Ubuntu went onto 'low-graphics mode'. This is surely related to my installation of the nVidia drivers, since it was the first real reboot sinc ethe install. It didn't reach the login yet at that point, and I could choose a monitor type, and a VGA type. I found the selection for my monitor, but not for my VGA. So I just chose 'nVidia' from the choices of VGA. I could also select the screen resolution and refresh rates, but my monitor's res was not in the list. I just chose one and clicked 'next'. The resolution was obviously not right and not the same as before. I just shut it down at the login, as I had to leave. Now why did it do this? I though I had the driver installed correctly?

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:45 am

Synaptic should be available in the System -> Administration menu. If it is not there, it may not be installed (I don't recall whether it is installed by default). If necessary, you can install Synaptic via Applications -> Add/Remove (it is in the System Tools section).

Once you've got Synaptic working, the nVidia driver is available in the Miscellaneous Graphical (restricted) section. (It goes under "restricted" because it is not Open Source.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:54 am

Synaptic install with the OS - it's under System -> Administration

You will also ind the restricted drivers for your vid card either under System -> Preferences (should be a few options down) or System -> Administration, can't remember which exactly.

I don't know how to uninstall a driver, but you will have to do that and re-install the restricted drivers (let the system do it for you). once a newer driver is ready, the system will let you know in the updates manager (I love that feature).
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:28 pm

Thanks for the excellent tips guys (and for your patience in helping a linux newbie :wink: ).