Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: OS X 10.6

Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:20 pm

You know what would be nice? (getting into a Feature Request, but o well)

In the Finder window there's default Smart Folders for Today, Yesterday, and Last Week. Until recently I've ignored them, and now that I use them (particularly Today and Yesterday) they are great for finding that file or app that is needed for school/work but is nestled in a deep corner of your HD volume.

What would be *extra* nice is if there was a Smart folder titled "Things I deleted Today" By "deleted" I mean sent to Trash and Emptied, with the option of undeleting it if it isn't overwritten/damaged. Seems like whenever I delete something that I change my mind on, it's usually within 24 hours that I go "Oh wait... I think I needed that." So there's usually a safe chance that the file(s) is okay, having only been out in the hard drive Netherworld for several hours.

Undelete programs on the Mac don't seem to have options for narrowing down your search for "recently deleted" programs. So it'd be nice if Apple just stepped up on that.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:29 pm

You could create a smart folder to replace the trash can and hold stuff and automatically delete it after 24 hours, if you wanted a hack solution. :)
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:07 pm

Time machine! I've saved myself that way before. The previous day's daily backup still has that file.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:53 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Time machine! I've saved myself that way before. The previous day's daily backup still has that file.

Yep, I've saved myself that way too...
Twitter: @xmunos

JonMCC33
Gerbil XP

Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:07 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

That's why Windows gives you a confirmation before you delete a file just to make sure. Then it sticks it in a recycle bin. So you have to try twice to actually remove a file.

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:57 pm

JonMCC33 wrote:
That's why Windows gives you a confirmation before you delete a file just to make sure. Then it sticks it in a recycle bin. So you have to try twice to actually remove a file.

O_o have you used a mac before?

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:41 pm

GokuSS2 wrote:
JonMCC33 wrote:

Apparently not, or he'd know that OSX does the EXACT SAME THING.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:07 pm

Forge wrote:
GokuSS2 wrote:
JonMCC33 wrote:

Apparently not, or he'd know that OSX does the EXACT SAME THING.

In fact, the Mac did it long before Windows did. Where do you think the Windows recycle bin came from?

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:44 pm

Buub wrote:
In fact, the Mac did it long before Windows did. Where do you think the Windows recycle bin came from?
The same place the Mac trash can came from -- the XEROX Star/Alto GUI.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:01 am

UberGerbil wrote:
Buub wrote:
The same place the Mac trash can came from -- the XEROX Star/Alto GUI.

No way! Nothing came before the Apple Lisa!
/sarcasm

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:32 am

As far as most people know, nothing came before Windows/Mac, which came out at the same time and just happen to have alot of things in common. :roll:

And I just dragged a file to the trash and the OS (Leo 10.5.4) didn't ask me if I wanted to put the file in there. The same is true if I hit Cmd+Delete (backspace). It only asks once if you want to get rid of a file, and that's when you empty the trash. It assumes I know what I'm doing (yay!).
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:08 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
And I just dragged a file to the trash and the OS (Leo 10.5.4) didn't ask me if I wanted to put the file in there. The same is true if I hit Cmd+Delete (backspace). It only asks once if you want to get rid of a file, and that's when you empty the trash. It assumes I know what I'm doing (yay!).

Yeah, you're right. I never noticed, since I have a (should be suppressed) Windows reflex to click OK on anything that bothers me. I actually don't see the delete confirmation from Windows as such anymore, it's just a stupid extra step I'm forced to do.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:05 pm

Forge wrote:
Yeah, you're right. I never noticed, since I have a (should be suppressed) Windows reflex to click OK on anything that bothers me. I actually don't see the delete confirmation from Windows as such anymore, it's just a stupid extra step I'm forced to do.

And THIS is why constant OK/cancel dialogs are useless. So many of them turn the user off to them - just GTFO of the way.