Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Selous
Gerbil
Topic Author

need a gaming travel buddy

Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:21 pm

hello all, i am after a small (smaller the better) computer for the end of the year as i will be going away to a VERY boring place
i would like to take my present hardware out of my gaming rig these being
c2duo q6600
8800GT
and i dont really care about anything else

i have been looking at the SilverStone SG02 but this is borderline big
i dont see any need for a diskdrive (i have a portable one) and only 1 hhd required

there is no need for mobility (aka laptop) just transportability

the end state being i "need" to play fallout3 when that comes out and i dont think my present lappy will do that
so why not get another computer :roll:

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: need a gaming travel buddy

Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:28 am

Why not just get a DTR notebook?

LyveWire
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:10 pm

My brother is putting together a lan box ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811133044 ) for mostly the same purpose as you. He also has an 8800gt. I know it Only takes the mini/micro boards but as long as your not dead set on sli or crossfire (which I don't believe you are) these can be good boards to use. Newegg also has one with a handle and space for there 7" touch screen thing
( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811133035 ) and if you like that option more than go for it. Both these cases are portable and well thought out from all I have read. Hope this helps.

Selous
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:38 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Why not just get a DTR notebook?

because a desktop replacement laptop is a complete waste of money and that's why i posted in the SFF section .......
my last/present lappy was a desktop replacement .... could be an insurance job coming up on that in the near future

that is a very sexxxy case LyveWire!!! but unfortunately i am limited by size (eshbag) and it is a touch bigger in all dimensions than the SilverStone SG02

can anyone suggest anything smaller?

Pax-UX
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:05 am

It's quite small for what it can do. A normal SFF limits your options as the PSUs don't output enough watts to power the more fun GFX cards and since this is the main limit on what you can install this Sugo does look very nice by allowing any PSU. While it's possible to get upgraded PSU for Shuttles, they're not cheap.

I've looked into gaming laptops and they are a complete waste of money. Too hot, too loud, too heavy, too short battery life, too expensive. While with Sugo you have the main guts of what you need if want an upgrade path. The nice thing about a good case is that it can be reused. I setup a water cooling system in a Shark and so far have used it for two upgrades, PSU + Case + HD + DVD stay, the rest get upgraded. It looks like you could do this with a Sugo, that wouldn't be as easy with a normal SFF.
Last edited by Pax-UX on Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What luck for rulers, that men do not think"

Pax-UX
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:07 am

LyveWire wrote:
My brother is putting together a lan box ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811133044 ) for mostly the same purpose as you.

Don't like the way they have the PSU over the GFX Card, very close.
"What luck for rulers, that men do not think"

ludmila
Gerbil In Training

Thu May 14, 2009 12:46 am

What is the cheapest way to travel between Germany, France, and Belgium? I am planning on flying into Frankfurt and would like to travel to Brussels and Paris. We have 10 days. What is the cheapest way to travel, while still being efficient with time?

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu May 14, 2009 1:19 am

ludmila wrote:
What is the cheapest way to travel between Germany, France, and Belgium? I am planning on flying into Frankfurt and would like to travel to Brussels and Paris. We have 10 days. What is the cheapest way to travel, while still being efficient with time?
If you're just hitting the major cities, and don't need to get out into the countryside, train is the best way to go. If you're under 26 you could use a youth eurail pass. Though you'd probably only need 3 travel segments (Frankfurt-Brussels, Brussels-Paris, Paris-Frankfurt) so it may be cheaper to just buy 2nd class point-to-point tickets for those legs.

jonybiskit
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu May 14, 2009 1:24 am

... a little off topic aren't we?
Incognito mode.
I gots an abs m1.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu May 14, 2009 1:32 am

jonybiskit wrote:
... a little off topic aren't we?
Yep. Mods can split/move to the back porch as they see fit.

Faceless Clock
Gerbil

Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 pm

I actually just did a very detailed video review of the SG02 for my blog.

I think it would work well for you. There is lots of room for the video card. The CPU cooler space is limited, but if you're using stock with your processor it will work fine. If not I think something like a basic Arctic Cooler would fit in there.

There are other cases similar to this, there is a cube case from Lian-Li and the Lanbox, but I think the Silverstone SG02 is hard to beat since it is about $70 dollars most places.
http://www.smidgenpc.com/ - Smidgen PC. Offering big news about tiny PCs.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:30 am

Why is this thread being woken up? Its from 08...

Faceless Clock
Gerbil

Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:07 pm

Because most of us don't pay attention to the OP's post date. Woops.
http://www.smidgenpc.com/ - Smidgen PC. Offering big news about tiny PCs.